Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done a DIY Door PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to do PPF of at least the rear doors since the flare of the quarter panel and door makes road chips a big deal on the bottom of the rear doors. I'm curious if anyone else has tried tackling this? I see a few precut kits on eBay, curious if anyone recommends one over the other?

Seems like brands are either 3M Pro or Orafol.

Alternatively, does anyone know a reasonably priced PPF installer in Denver, CO? Only reason I'm looking to do the hood/bumper and doors myself is most quotes I've gotten are like $1500 for just the hood and bumper and to do doors they're quoting up to $3000. Most shops seem to work on tiers so they only offer certain things in each tier and if you want something specific in an upper tier you need to upgrade to that and get everything else even if you don't want it.

Last edited:
I did XPEL pre-cut rocker panels (clear / non-stealth) and very happy with the result Rear door paint chips/road rash poll
Oh nice, that is really clear. Looked on their website and seems like you can't order just the rear door or get just the doors, you have to order a package including the rear quarterpanel and the window trim. Plus it's like $2000 for both sides. t that amount I'd probably just pay an installer.

I did XPEL pre-cut rocker panels (clear / non-stealth) and very happy with the result Rear door paint chips/road rash poll

I did the same thing on the lower portion of both rear doors. Took maybe 20 min to install on each door, 4500+ miles of driving since then, no issues at all. Just watch their video and follow the direction. Never installed PPF before, and I have zero bubbles, peeling, issues. Was worth every penny. Xpel rocker panel PPF is thicker than regular PPF, so this tough is tough and should last a very long time.

Reactions: kadify
I did all four doors myself with pre-cut kits. I asked the vendor to extend the film on the edges so I can wrap the film behind the doors and under the window trim so no edges show. I used Suntek Ultra. I like the extra gloss the film gives the paint. I hear Suntek has an even better product called Suntek Reaction that is supposed to be even better.