Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done a study comparing Standard vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On configuring a new Model S, I see that Long range is $10,000 more than Standard with a difference of 85 miles on a full charge.
We mostly keep our daily trips less than 200 miles.
So, is it worth it to get the Long-range over the Standard range?

Thanks in advance.

Range is everything.

Lots of things to reduce quoted battery range. Use abetterrouteplanner.com to do some what-ifs with some typical routes that you do. Make sure that you use advanced settings to add in different weather parameters, weight and battery degradation - don't know how long you intend on keeping it, but 5-10% is probably reasonable. Also, do not assume that you will be charging 0-100%. Use 20-80% for intermediate stop charge levels. Then probably concentrate on total trip duration and number of stops.

imho

Last edited:
On configuring a new Model S, I see that Long range is $10,000 more than Standard with a difference of 85 miles on a full charge.
We mostly keep our daily trips less than 200 miles.
So, is it worth it to get the Long-range over the Standard range?

Thanks in advance.

In Florida, you probably don't need to worry about the extreme colds as much as the North East... In most cases, the Standard Range, unless you consistently take long road trips, would be more than adequate.

Have you taken a look at A Better Routeplanner ? Put some of your worst case (longest) trips in there and see what it would cost (Supercharge as well as time).. You'll notice that for longer trips outside your battery (whether straight shot or round trip), the cost/charge time will take quite some time to hit $10,000.. Unless, your hourly rate is high, in which case, you can probably go for the Long Range anyway.

If you're debating between the two (which I went through as well, until I found a 2019 100D X that cost far less than a 2019 Standard Range X), check inventory and see if those discounts sway you. Yes, having the longer range/bigger battery can come in handy, but, then, again, with the number of chargers out there, maybe take that $10k and use it for something else?