Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done Bend to Boise in a Stealth Performance? (or LR AWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a road trip for this summer which would include a route from Bend OR to Boise ID through Baker City OR. Noticed that the stretch from the Bend super charger to the Baker City super charger is roughly 235 miles and includes some elevation gain. Was just wondering if anyone has done this route before and what your range looked like upon arrival in Baker City. We also might make a stop at John Day Fossil Beds National Monument depending on what our range is looking like. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated, thanks!

I've done this in my old Model S 85, with only about 250 rated miles and colder weather, but had to go very slowly. So with a more efficient Model 3 with about 300 rated miles in summer, this should be pretty OK. Also, if you want to take a lunch break in John Day, there is a pretty high power wall connector there in town at the chamber of commerce, and you can go to a few places within a block or two, like a pizza place or bar and grill. That would make it totally easy.

I will give one piece of advice about generally doing this drive. That last section on the east end that is highway 7 that goes up to the interstate at Baker City is something I will not drive at night again. It has very sudden sharp curves that come up suddenly without any of those warning signs that you are coming up on a curve, and those are tough to see coming at night and can be pretty surprising. Daytime would probably be much better.

Thank you both for your insight! I did notice the destination charger at the chamber of commerce when looking at the map. Was hoping to be able to do this leg all in one shot without charging, but it’s nice to have that as an option.

We plan on bringing our mobile connector with us with our NEMA 14-50 adapter and the standard wall adapter. I might have to look into some of the other popular ones as well as a safety net given that they only cost $35 a piece.

Thank you both for your insight! I did notice the destination charger at the chamber of commerce when looking at the map. Was hoping to be able to do this leg all in one shot without charging, but it’s nice to have that as an option.

We plan on bringing our mobile connector with us with our NEMA 14-50 adapter and the standard wall adapter. I might have to look into some of the other popular ones as well as a safety net given that they only cost $35 a piece.
You need to have a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D if you are going to make trips like this in an EV. That being said, if you drive conservatively and pay attention to your battery usage, you should make it without having to use L2 chargers.

Reactions: theeskimo