Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done or does anyone want to do Window Tint in Orange County?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm sure any decent window tinter can handle our car, I would love to not be the first Model S a tinter has gotten their hands on. Can anyone recommend someone in Orange County that worked on their model s and did a good clean job?

Also - If we do get a nice recommendation and I can work out like a "group buy" situation where a few of us can show up one saturday and they can just knock em out one after another, would anyone be interested in that?

Thanks!

While I'm sure any decent window tinter can handle our car, I would love to not be the first Model S a tinter has gotten their hands on. Can anyone recommend someone in Orange County that worked on their model s and did a good clean job?

Also - If we do get a nice recommendation and I can work out like a "group buy" situation where a few of us can show up one saturday and they can just knock em out one after another, would anyone be interested in that?

Thanks!

I did mine and Tint Connection in Costa Mesa. Very happy with the job and it looks tight, see link of my photos:http://sdrv.ms/19e2Rc9

There are enough Model Ss in OC that you will have a lot to choose from. Before you pick, though, you might want to do a little research on the pros/cons of ceramic vs. crystalline tint (the two premium tints that people have been using on their Teslas from my research).

I had huper optik ceramic installed at Xlnt Tint in Anaheim, and they did a great job.

There are enough Model Ss in OC that you will have a lot to choose from. Before you pick, though, you might want to do a little research on the pros/cons of ceramic vs. crystalline tint (the two premium tints that people have been using on their Teslas from my research).

I had huper optik ceramic installed at Xlnt Tint in Anaheim, and they did a great job.

Hey Jive. how long did it take them to tint your windows? which % did you get? what is the price range? and did you tint the driver/passenger side lighter than the rest of the car (if you chose a dark tint)?

From CA.gov:
"The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

• The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  • If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

Elsewhere it says tinting on the driver/passenger windows must allow 88% transmission of light and no tinting of the windshield.

Good questions Apocalypse. I'm curious to see the replies. I just moved out here from Florida which had similiar tinting laws. I promptly broke all of those laws on every one of my cars. Unfortunately I did receive a few tickets over the last 10+ years but I don't regret it. The tickets were affordable and, at least in florida, it was well worth the price to get the extra comfort of blocking the sun.

At this point, I do plan to tint the windshield and front windows, but I'm curious to hear the horror stories of cop run-ins.

I'm interested in OC tint recommendations too. I'd like to get the Spectra Photosync/SAT film, so I'd especially appreciate hearing about shops that provide that product (and seeing pics!). I'm tentatively planning on 45 sides/15 rear/75 windshield and pano.

60kWh Model S | Black w/ Black Leather and Piano Trim | Tech and Pano | VIN 1550X
Reserved 6/14/13 | Finalized 6/16/13 | VIN 6/17/13 | Est Delivery Late July | Delivery Button TBD | Delivery Window TBD | Delivery TBD

I'm interested in OC tint recommendations too. I'd like to get the Spectra Photosync/SAT film, so I'd especially appreciate hearing about shops that provide that product (and seeing pics!). I'm tentatively planning on 45 sides/15 rear/75 windshield and pano.

60kWh Model S | Black w/ Black Leather and Piano Trim | Tech and Pano | VIN 1550X
Reserved 6/14/13 | Finalized 6/16/13 | VIN 6/17/13 | Est Delivery Late July | Delivery Button TBD | Delivery Window TBD | Delivery TBD

The Pano is already tinted and (IMO) blocks enough UV/heat. why add another layer?

The Pano is already tinted and (IMO) blocks enough UV/heat. why add another layer?

I'm not sure about it - I'm still at least like six weeks away from getting the car - but wanted to include it in my price hunting anyways for extra info.

You have a good point, though. The pano blocks "81% of heat" according to the Options & Pricing page, while Photosync 75 blocks 80-88% of IR (http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/Photosync_DataSheet.pdf).

So I could gain at most 10% more IR blocking by tinting it further with the 75.

Another possible benefit would be that its color would more closely match the windows and rear, since they'd be tinted with the PS, but I don't know how much a difference would be noticeable if I didn't tint the pano.

I'm not sure about it - I'm still at least like six weeks away from getting the car - but wanted to include it in my price hunting anyways for extra info.

You have a good point, though. The pano blocks "81% of heat" according to the Options & Pricing page, while Photosync 75 blocks 80-88% of IR (http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/Photosync_DataSheet.pdf).

Another possible benefit would be that its color would more closely match the windows and rear, since they'd be tinted with the PS, but I don't know how much a difference would be noticeable if I didn't tint the pano.

I'd suggest going to the Tesla store (or you can check out the S's that show up at the next OC meet) and see how dark the tint already is. I have a black car and I think the pano blends in well (most people who see it dont even realize its glass up there).

Let me know what you go with. I too am thinking about getting Photosync all around and the windshield.

Hey Jive. how long did it take them to tint your windows? which % did you get? what is the price range? and did you tint the driver/passenger side lighter than the rest of the car (if you chose a dark tint)?

It took them about 3 hours to tint my rear/sides. I chose to stay uniform and did the ceramic 30% for the rear and sides, and it was about $400 if I remember correctly.

I did tint the front driver/passenger side doors, even though technically it's not allowed. While I know it adds some risk to get pulled over, I was actually reassured by a CHP officer who was getting his car tinted at the same time as me that it was okay. The officer said that it would be very rare to pull someone over for tint unless an officer cannot see what a driver is doing from the rear of the car (i.e. is the driver reaching for something?). Regardless, I got the "insurance" that Xlnt offers that will have them remove the tint if you get a "fix it ticket". (It was like $10).

One thing to note with the HO Ceramic film is that there is some "ghosting" on the rear window because the glass is curved. These look like faint stretch marks, but it's really only visible with direct sunlight from above from certain angles. From what I've researched, this is basically unavoidable using this film. However, no one else seems to notice it except for me (because I'm looking for it). I consider this the trade-off with the 3M crystalline which has a purple-ish reflective quality but does not ghost. These are the top two films as far as heat rejection (my priority), and unfortunately, neither is perfect.

Aaron (the manager at XLNT) has some examples of the ghosting that you can take a look so that there is full disclosure.

Thanks!

forgot to mention, I am interested in tinting if there is a group discount :). Of course within range of my budget.

Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana! (http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.com/ I think they've been mentioned in a few other places on the forums.)

I've had all my windows done and XPel Ultimate fully wrapped around the whole car. Looks great! They've done many Model S's already. Did 10+ or so by the time they did mine in February.

Odd. i called and got voicemail (didn't leave a message) so I went to the URL and clicked on their email address to ask them questions, and the email bounced back as not deliverable. Anyone else have problems?

Odd. i called and got voicemail (didn't leave a message) so I went to the URL and clicked on their email address to ask them questions, and the email bounced back as not deliverable. Anyone else have problems?

Weird, I mostly contact the main sales guy there Ryan: [email protected] and have never had a problem. They also have a discount if you mention you saw them on the forums too.

This what they quoted for tints: Window tint runs $259 for 3M premium fx film/ $379 for 3M Color Stable/ $499 for ceramic/ or $699 for 3M Crystalline

still trying to get Protective Film Solutions to return my phone call or reply to my email.

Super Odd Apoclyps!! Had no trouble getting in touch with them, have you emailed Ryan directly??

i just picked up my Model S from Protective Film Solutions on Saturday after dropping it off to have the window to it and clear bra done.

i hafta give Ryan & his team props, they did an amazing job!! Tint looks great, and at first I was skeptical about it, but the tint does an amazing job keeping the car very cool thus using less ac.... Very happy with the job they did!

Matt

Super Odd Apoclyps!! Had no trouble getting in touch with them, have you emailed Ryan directly??

i just picked up my Model S from Protective Film Solutions on Saturday after dropping it off to have the window to it and clear bra done.

i hafta give Ryan & his team props, they did an amazing job!! Tint looks great, and at first I was skeptical about it, but the tint does an amazing job keeping the car very cool thus using less ac.... Very happy with the job they did!

Matt

yep. Emailed [email protected] and no reply. Unless my email went into his spambox.