Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done the Unthinkable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bill_Baron

Current owner of #201
Sep 14, 2019
Milford, MA
I've read on here how, for many different reasons, dozens of Roadsters have been bricked over the years. Faced with the huge expense of a replacement battery (if you can even find one), has anyone said "The heck with it, I'm putting a gas engine back in this thing" and then done it? Is it even possible? Could you if you had both a wrecked Elise and a bricked Roadster? Just thinking out loud, my Roadster is not bricked (yet).

Great way to show how complex ICE power vs electric.
Make sure you document (video) both electric motor removal & ICE install.

side note: you will learn the complexity of auto building
suggest you buy or rent or borrow a Lotus and do comparison first - look real close

I wasn't actually thinking of doing this. It's just that everyone's battery will die someday, and many already have. I was wondering if anyone with lots of skill and free time had gone to this extreme to get their car on the road again.

> Think I’d go model 3 motor and open inverter first. [XLr8]

So an open inverter might somehow dislike the Roadster motor or is it that there are open inverters today that are already optimized for the increasingly available M3 motor?
--

> Think I’d go model 3 motor and open inverter first. [XLr8]

So an open inverter might somehow dislike the Roadster motor or is it that there are open inverters today that are already optimized for the increasingly available M3 motor?
--
Open inverter might not like the roadster's low inductance motor, though we did get the Rinehart motion PM250DZ working with it (with some custom tuning).

I've read on here how, for many different reasons, dozens of Roadsters have been bricked over the years. Faced with the huge expense of a replacement battery (if you can even find one), has anyone said "The heck with it, I'm putting a gas engine back in this thing" and then done it? Is it even possible? Could you if you had both a wrecked Elise and a bricked Roadster? Just thinking out loud, my Roadster is not bricked (yet).
I had not considered it. But I know someone doing the reverse. EV Conversions

I wasn't actually thinking of doing this. It's just that everyone's battery will die someday, and many already have. I was wondering if anyone with lots of skill and free time had gone to this extreme to get their car on the road again.

There is a TESLA battery upgrade AND companies that will rebuild these battery leafs to get a roadster back on the road.

Given the modifications Tesla made, placing alternative ICE type components is kind of an unrealistic question.

Reactions: dhrivnak