TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone done wheel spacers WITHOUT lowering springs?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Rothgarr, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I was thinking of getting wheels spacers for my ride (below). I do NOT want to lower the car. And I really do like the aero wheels so I don't want to get aftermarket wheels, either.

But the wheel inset bugs me a bit, especially in the rear. Wheel spacers seem cheap enough, but I'm wondering if it would look weird to bump the wheels out a bit without lowering. Like, if it would look like there's too much room between the top of the tire and the fender?

has anyone done this?

IMG_0405 2.jpg

2. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

Yes I have. Bloc 15mm & 20mm spacers. Those are the stock 18’s wheels just like yours.

DF3A50F7-E00E-4ABB-8D2F-3D5565C39623.jpeg 4D73308E-9EB2-48C3-97E4-37A8A131AB37.jpeg

• Love x 1
  3. scherer326

scherer326 Member

do the rear tires need to typically stick out more than the fronts. Wondering why you got 15mm and 20mm spacers?

4. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

That looks super nice, thanks for posting!

Do you mind posting a sideview pic of the car so I can see the gap between top of tire and fender? (I want to see if the ride height looks weird -- I'm guessing no)

If you had to do it again, would you go with something different than the 15mm/20mm?

Got a link to the ones you got?

5. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

I got more pictures, I saw the 15/20 setup and I prefer that one, I saw this DIY on these.

I haven’t done the front yet because you need someone to press on the brakes to keep the wheel from turning, the rears are easy because you use the emergency brakes to hold them.

6. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

My next purchase will be the anti-sway bars both front and back from Unplugged Performance. That will be it.

Fred

7. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Awesome, thanks for the pic and link. It looks really great. I saw that same video and that's what got me wanting them.

Did you use a standard jack stand? The only one available to me is the one on my wife's Honda Pilot.

I'll have to check out the sway bar. I'm considering the red caliper covers form EVannex while I have the wheels off.

8. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

9. scherer326

scherer326 Member

sorry, do you mean 15/20 setup with the 15mm spacers in front and the 20mm spacers in the back?

10. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

Yes

11. scherer326

scherer326 Member

possibly lowering car an inch and adding spacers is basically the only thing left I was thinking about doing.

12. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

The car is low enough as it is, I don’t want to hit something and have to come out of pocket $15,000 for a new battery.

Fred

13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

While spacers make the car look cool, it also throws off the finely tuned calibration of your car's suspension. Their might be consequences.

14. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Thanks again for your help. I'm going to order the spacers this weekend.

Just to double-check, did you tighten both set of nuts for each wheel to 129 pounds? (the spacers and the wheel lug nuts -- so all 40 of them.)

15. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

Yes 129 using the torque wrench.

Fred

B7F76B37-81F2-415E-8261-0290B0169FF8.jpeg

16. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I'm curious what that 10mm bolt is between two of the bolts that you have to remove before putting on the spacers.

17. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

The hole is there to help pull a stuck drum or rotor. here’s a video:

• Like x 1
  18. Hayden

Hayden Member

The first time I hear this.
    The bottom plate is strong enough, you can safely lower the car a 1,2 inch.

19. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Member

I think the spacer looks with if you take off the aero-cap. And, it looks fine with no spacer on aero-cap.