Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done wheel spacers WITHOUT lowering springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 15/20mm spacers.

I noticed the 20mm rear spacers each came with 5 nuts (one for each bolt).

But the smaller 15mm front spacers each cam with 10 nuts (two on each bolt). I can tell which bolt to use to bolt the spacer to the hub, but do I have to use the extra set to mount the wheel to the spacer? I'd prefer to use the OEM nuts since the Tesla wheel caps don't fit on the ones that came with the spacers.

Advice?

Here's a picture to explain what I mean.

HH73nys.jpg

The rear have one nut, so I'd use the OEM nuts to attach the wheel to the spacer.

Do I have to use the provided regular nuts for the fronts? Or can I use the OEM ones?

(I assume you also just toss away the rubber black protectors that came on the rear spacers)

Here's a picture to explain what I mean.

HH73nys.jpg

The rear have one nut, so I'd use the OEM nuts to attach the wheel to the spacer.

Do I have to use the provided regular nuts for the fronts? Or can I use the OEM ones?

(I assume you also just toss away the rubber black protectors that came on the rear spacers)

Wait... why would you put two nuts on of the the front lugs in the first place? Sounds like a poor design.

Wait... why would you put two nuts on of the the front lugs in the first place? Sounds like a poor design.
No, you wouldn't use both the way you described. You use the rounded ones to attach the spacer to the hub. And the other ones to attach the wheel to the spacer.

My question is, do you have to use that second set? Or can you use the OEM ones and toss out the second set that came with the spacer?

Will this have any effect on wheel alignment, camber/toe, tire wear, suspension performance, etc...?

The offset is minimal (15 mm front, 20 mm rear), I doubt it would have any negative measurable effects to the things you listed.

Why anti-sway bars? Are they needed for this mod?

No, the sway bars are for stiffer cornering. Has nothing to do with this mod.

The offset is minimal (15 mm front, 20 mm rear), I doubt it would have any negative measurable effects to the things you listed.

No, the sway bars are for stiffer cornering. Has nothing to do with this mod.
Thanks. Want to do this, but can't find any way to know if this is minor enough to not cause problems. There are definitely effects on suspension dynamics. Just don't know if significant.

I mentioned in another thread, that I had no idea the sides of the car get so absolutely filthy the moment you drive through any moisture. The sides of my white car look awful. I guess having the wheels stick out father than stock will do that.

I wonder if mud flaps would help or if the wheels stick out far enough to render them useless.

I happened to take more pics this weekend showing the spacers.

I absolutely love them -- one of my favorite accessories. So much more aggressive-looking now. Looks like an actual sports sedan (and not just a sedan), especially combined with the spoiler.

I highly recommend them.

I did buy mud flaps to help with the extra mud that's flung on the side of the car, I just need to install them (I'm doing another video for that).

spacers3.jpg
spacers2.jpg

Can you show pics of how dirty the car gets without mud flaps, and a pic of the car with mud flaps installed? Wonder what the efficiency hit is for this mod, and then combined with the added drag of the mud flaps?

Can you show pics of how dirty the car gets without mud flaps, and a pic of the car with mud flaps installed? Wonder what the efficiency hit is for this mod, and then combined with the added drag of the mud flaps?
I can tell you that the sides of the car get disgusting (especially the passenger side). Below is an example.

But this weekend I scrubbed it clean and looks brand new again. Should be easier to clean once I have the ceramic coating on it. This weekend I'll record my unboxing/install/review video of the mud flaps so I'll certainly follow up and let you know if they help and how much.

As for efficiency, I don't really have a way to measure it exactly, but the last time I drove from CT to NJ (about three hours) I didn't see any noticeable difference in range from having the spacers on. I'm sure it's there, but I imagine it's probably very small.

IMG_1266.PNG