Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone driven in a Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
Would love to hear how the Model X drives if you've driven in one. (Yes I know it's unlikely but wondering if someone has driven a prototype somehow.)

The reason I'm asking is because I've been driving a Lexus RX350 this past week and it's a good car but I would imagine the Model X to be in a different league with instant torque/acceleration, quiet motor, and even handling.

I've ridden shotgun in a Model X, but I haven't been behind the wheel. If you've been in the Model S, you'll have a good idea about the league it's in. I fully expect it to win MT's SUV of the Year in 2014.

Yes, it feels a lot like the Model S, just taller and more spacious. It is HUGE in there!

I don't think anyone outside Tesla has been allowed to drive the prototype yet, and there will probably be no drives until at least 6-9 months from now, if the pattern Tesla executed with the Model S is repeated with the Model X.

I've ridden shotgun in a Model X, but I haven't been behind the wheel. If you've been in the Model S, you'll have a good idea about the league it's in. I fully expect it to win MT's SUV of the Year in 2014.

So, we're you shotgun while the car was being driven?

I have driven the Model S, and can imagine the Model X would handle similar except feel higher. Also, would imagine it would weigh a bit more.

Tesla had a big Event to announce the Model X. Tesla never just presents a stationary show car. Elon takes great pride in showing the debut cars are working vehicles. The X (and S) did hot laps on a small track all that night loaded with customers. The AWD though was not yet included.

So, we're you shotgun while the car was being driven?

I have driven the Model S, and can imagine the Model X would handle similar except feel higher. Also, would imagine it would weigh a bit more.

Yes, as vfx points out, we were able to ride in the X prototype at the launch event. It feels roomier inside, had the same acceleration - and I'm pretty sure that was without the AWD that will be coming as an option.

The drivable concept car is not really decisively indicative of the final production model, so I think comments about how it drives are premature.

For all the roominess, I found backseat headroom a bit of a concern... Hopefully they improve that for production.

All Tesla models with "skateboard" design have the battery pack down low (under the flloor) so have a low center of gravity.
I think it is a given that it will "corner flat" and stay composed well even when tossed around.

I had the good fortune to do the ride twice. once shotgun and once in the third row. I am 6'3" and I was fine in the third row however your head hight was quite low since these seats in the proto were fixed very low so your head clears the lowering ceiling line. but as we have all said it was/is a first proto and is not scheduled to be on the market for another year and a bit. we will have to wait and see how it evolves.......

Yes, as vfx points out, we were able to ride in the X prototype at the launch event. It feels roomier inside, had the same acceleration - and I'm pretty sure that was without the AWD that will be coming as an option.

It's good to hear that it feels similar to how a Model S drives. It's hard to see how the Model X is not going to win the MT SUV of the Year award.