TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has anyone driven to Cabo San Lucas?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by AudubonB, Mar 12, 2015.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

- and is this the right forum for such a query?

We're already looking into places to go next winter. I don't think we're really interested in joining the Baja 500. Nor in finding out if gray whales like jumping onto Model Ss. :eek:

2. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

My dad drove down and back in 1974 with some friends. It was mostly dirt roads back then...

3. AudubonB

Okay then! Shall I edit my original post?:biggrin:

​...smart aleck....

4. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I did see the pictures he took back then... Lots of beautiful places. We used to fly down to Cabo a lot in the 70s -- before there was a real airport -- the few hotels had their own runways instead... I went back in the 90s and was amazed at how developed it had become...

5. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

i love Cabo. I wouldn't think to drive there. It's like 1000 miles from my house. Even from San Diego it's like 900+ mi.

6. SteveS0353

SteveS0353 Member

I've sailed (cruise ship) from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas - great city. Google maps says is 1,000+ miles from my house in San Diego. In a Model S, with no insurance, no SuperChargers, unknown other charging infrastructure, some dirt roads with miles of nothing, ..., not sure I'd attempt it - yet.

7. AudubonB

Cool! Sounds just like home!

8. SteveS0353

SteveS0353 Member

I've been to Alaska, and from what I saw in Baja, I think Alaska would be a picnic by comparison.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#9 Lloyd, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    I would go:

San Diego
    San Quintin
    Lunch stop intersection Hwy 12 add 50 miles
    Guerro Negro
    Mulege
    Loretto
    La Paz
    Cabo San Lucas

Edit:

From there, an adventure would be to take the ferry to Mazatlan and then drive north on the mainland of Mexico!

10. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

You may want to check out some of the RV sites (i.e., rvparkreviews.com) to get a sense of the quality of electrical service. There may be better sites, i'm not an RVer. Looks like plenty of RV parks in Baja, though. I don't know the conditions under which the S will refuse to charge (voltage fluctuations, non-standard cycles, etc).

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

My reading of the Tesla warranty is that the act of driving into Mexico voids it—not just while you're in Mexico, but permanently. You might want to check with Tesla before you go to confirm/deny this reading.

12. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

Yes, approximately 5 years ago, Jeep Grand Cherokee. Southbound only, rarely stopped never searched. But would never do again, checked off the bucket list. Killed some bait, ate some great food and flew home. Regardless of warranty opinion, I wouldn't take a Tesla there for any reason.

13. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

14. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

About 10 years ago my wife, brother and I towed a smallish boat all the way down over a couple weeks. Once past Ensenada, it was mostly beautiful, sparse and friendly. Camped, fished and dove a lot. Loved it but am not sure about the safety now. Best bet for charging would be the RV parks and there is a Baja RV club that you might be a good resource.
    Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat Mexico Group Activities and Tours

15. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    There was someone who drove to Mexico, and I believe he was the first International trip on a Tesla. His charging stories were impressive. It reminded me of a full-blown rally.

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I thought Cabo was wiped off the face of the earth by the gods back in September a few months ago.

17. gene

gene Active Member