Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone else installed both Gen 2 and Gen 3 WCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to get other general impressions.

For me, the Gen 3 is a huge improvement:

Small benefits
- Shipping box is much smaller and lighter
- Thinner cable “drapes” more tightly around the WC when hung.. makes fitting between two garage doors much easier
- Thinner cable much easier to handle
- No more popping off the Silver cover and feeling like it’s going to break every time during install
- Many fewer bolts, only one size hex for mounting and terminals
- Easy monitoring from home network

Large benefits
- Mounting the bracket without the weight of the WC allows you to easily get it on the wall straight
- Clear visibility of the wires going into the terminals even after tightening ensure no stray conductors and good contact
- Blade terminals between mounting bracket and WC body make getting the WC up on the wall a breeze
- Many fewer parts
- Setup is way easier, esp for old sharing if/when it becomes available.
- Installation doesn’t open the WC internal electronics, no fragile cables or electronics exposed during install

Small con
- Not a fan of the 4awg terminals. Definitely need ferrules or a really tight twist at the minimum on 6awg. Without it, the screws have less than 50% contact when torqued down.

From everything I’m seeing, the max 48A (vs Gen 2 80A) is an excellent trade off for the pros above, especially given the relatively few dual charger models out there, even more so that they’re making Gen 2s available now.

I have installed both. A G3 at home and a G2 at work . And actually we are installing a G3 at my wife's work for her M3 (too bad I dint need the longer cord of the G2 at my office)

I had to get a G2 at work becasue the 18ft cord on the G3 just was not long enough . Its a shame my 2020 will not charge higher than 48 amps though .

Really they were about the same as far as installing although I agree with you about the G3 was bit easier/ straight forward (not as many parts)
But all in all, your pros/cons are the same as mine . Only thing I would add is I like the app "settings" in the G3 instead of DIP / small (very small) rotary switches for set up of amperage