Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever been to Sunrise visitor center (Mt. Rainier) with 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to Tesla, dense Supercharger network made us possible to travel long distance and almost everywhere in US.
I'm currently living in Seattle area. While ownership of X 75D, I noticed visiting nearby National Parks(Olympic, North Cascade, Rainier) are somewhat concerning for me due to Supercharger coverage.

This weekend, my friends will come to town and they want to make day trip to Mt. Rainier.

But when I checked distance and Supercharger location, it raised my concern. Seattle to Sunrise is almost 200mile round trip including hill climbing and non of routes has Supercharger station. Issaquah, Tacoma, and Enumclaw stations is not yet built.
EPA range for X 75D is 230mile but not sure it's safe to do day trip. Has anyone done this? What was your experience?

Try the Plugshare app. There is a J-1772 at Mt Ranier NP and a Tesla destination charger at Alexander's Lodge. Many other listed; will let you do the research for your circumstance.

I already did it, but it didn't give me useful charging spot information. Also the spots that you mentioned are not on my route. (I'm not heading for Paradise)

So I'm looking for feasibility of round trip without charging. or J1772 spot with convenient location which I can spend enough time without getting bored.

I already did it, but it didn't give me useful charging spot information. Also the spots that you mentioned are not on my route. (I'm not heading for Paradise)

So I'm looking for feasibility of round trip without charging. or J1772 spot with convenient location which I can spend enough time without getting bored.

I think bored beats stranded any day.

Reactions: P85_DA
abetterrouteplanner shows you getting there with 30% left. unless you can find a place to top off, I wouldn't recommend it. You'd need to leave the center at 40% to make it with a 9% buffer. That doesn't count the drain you'll get during the day while parked.

Now there are a few places you can top off along the way. Fugate Ford has a J1772. Walgreens in Auburn has a J1772 and CHADEMO (if you have the adapter)

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.43.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.44.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.46.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.47.09 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: modamoda and P85_DA
Thank you guys :) I did round trip successfully without any major concerns. it was beautiful trip with zero emission in national park :)

Here's energy consumption so far

Model X 75D
Temp: around 80F
Passenger: 5 including driver
Range Mode: ON
Air conditioner: set 72F / turned on until park entrance / get natural breeze after park entrance

[12kWh] Seattle > Fred Meyer at Maple Valley (Blink charger is here: 5 kW)
[44kWh] Seattle > Fred Meyer > Sunrise Visitor Center
[48.4kWh] Seattle > ... > Sunrise Visitor Center > Bellevue
[57.3kWh] Seattle > ... > Bellevue > Seattle > Bellevue (Friends drop off)

Total 200 mile | 287 Wh/mile

NOTE: At first, navigation in Tesla says only 20% of battery will remain at Sunrise visitor center but apparently it was 36%

IMG_0606.JPG IMG_3051.JPG