Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever gotten pulled over for tint before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a tint newbie and just researching and learning about it now and considering getting tint installed one of these days...
In Illinois, it appears that the darkest legal tint is 35%, but obviously there are darker tints out there.
If I drive through another state during a roadtrip, I assume the states rules apply, and not where i'm a resident of... right?

Also, for "basic privacy", what % would people recommend on the Model 3 windows?
(I know it's primarily a personal preference, but I'm just trying to get a sense of what the popular choices are)

thanks and sorry for the newbie questions

If I drive through another state during a roadtrip, I assume the states rules apply, and not where i'm a resident of... right?

I can only answer this part of the question, but usually it's the least restrictive of state law that applies between the two states. (Major exception: Open Carry and/or Concealed Carry Laws/Licenses). We just had this discussion in another thread about states which require and don't require front plates. (i.e. Your car doesn't have front plates because you're from a state which doesn't require front plates, but drive through a state which requires front plates).

Example, if 20% tint is allowed in your state, but you're traveling in a state where only 35% is allowed, you should not be ticketed by local law-enforcement of the state you're traveling through for illegal tint.

I'll let someone else answer the "basic privacy", but as a data point, my state allows up to 35% and that's what I've decided to go with and scheduled next month. Good luck!

The laws apply from the state in which you live.

Even if darker than legal you're generally only going to get pulled over if you're bring attention to yourself, speeding, etc. Cops can use the tint as probable cause to pull you over in the first place.

You're not going to go wrong with 35% and this will still allow visibility at night or in parking garages etc.

Now if you decide to get some really flashy wheels, 15% tint, and you blast your music, then prepare to be pulled over.

I got a ticket for $450 in a rural Southern town when I went for BBQ but got out of the ticket with a letter from my ophthalmologist per state law. I had my front doors tinted to match the factory Chevy rear tint.

• Informative
Reactions: Kermee
Quick search on the Michigan Legislature yields this. Not a lawyer. Still probable cause could yield a potential pull over. Not sure how it would play out in the courts however. Many states might have a similar sentence regarding other states yielding to others laws or regulation if car is registered outside of jurisdiction.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions; windshield wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically heated windshield or other device; windshield device; definitions.
Sec. 709.

(3) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(d) A vehicle registered in another state, territory, commonwealth of the United States, or another country or province.

I'm a tint newbie and just researching and learning about it now and considering getting tint installed one of these days...
In Illinois, it appears that the darkest legal tint is 35%, but obviously there are darker tints out there.

Also, for "basic privacy", what % would people recommend on the Model 3 windows?
(I know it's primarily a personal preference, but I'm just trying to get a sense of what the popular choices are)

thanks and sorry for the newbie questions
Got a “fix it” ticket for limo tint on my BMW in a CA town at a pop-up checkpoint. Had to remove the tint on front driver and passenger windows.

Even if darker than legal you're generally only going to get pulled over if you're bring attention to yourself, speeding, etc. Cops can use the tint as probable cause to pull you over in the first place.

Probably true most of the time but I one got pulled over despite driving slowly in traffic and doing nothing wrong or illegal, with an audio book playing quietly, windows up and my toddler (at the time) daughter in the back. Got a fix it ticket and had to remove tint to avoid paying a fine.

One tip: do not roll up your window partially when the cop asks you. They will use a device to measure the tint and use that against you. You don't have to obey them when it comes to closing your windows. Just say your switch is broken, etc.

Last edited:
I recently got 30% and in all honestly, I could have gotten darker as 30% is not that dark. my detailer said 20% would look really nice on my car (black). I do agree with a previous post though regarding a tax on fine. I do not think you will get a ticket for only tint. If they pull you over for something else, they may add another fine for the tint. I have seen many cars here in Pittsburgh where the tint is basically pitch black and I do not think anything has happened to them.

I just love how in many states there's a double standard too in that cop cars are allowed to be as dark as they want but other cars can only be a certain shade for police safety.

Some of the laws actually say that explicitly too, it's not about safety of the driver or driving, but for the police.

I believe getting an out of state Tint Ticket varies from state to state. In VA if you have an out of state plate and your car is illegal in that state, you WILL get a ticket in VA for illegal tint. Every year the officers get a booklet that states Tint allowances in each of the states.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I roll down both front windows whenever I pass check points or got pulled over. "Sir, please roll up your windows!" said no cop ever LOL. :D
I wish I'd thought of that as my preference is to tint all windows on sedans instead of dark in the rear only (like an SUV) and that's what I was left with. I knew I was not speeding as I entered the check area and didn't even think about the windows :(

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
In 2010 on the I-10 in Los Angeles, had 50% on my front sides...Pulled over and ticketed just for the windows! Had my entire family, the kids were young at the time, wasn't speeding or swerving. This was around mid afternoon. In a Prius.

Out of all the cars in LA with limo tint, he pulls over a family car for 50%!

In 2010 on the I-10 in Los Angeles, had 50% on my front sides...Pulled over and ticketed just for the windows! Had my entire family, the kids were young at the time, wasn't speeding or swerving. This was around mid afternoon. In a Prius.

Out of all the cars in LA with limo tint, he pulls over a family car for 50%!

damn. how much was the ticket?