Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever received an alert from Tesla warning of a low battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the GSM Roadster-to-Tesla communication feature, has anyone received an alert from Tesla warning them of a low battery? Michael Degusta states, "According to the Tesla service manager, Tesla has used this information on multiple occasions to proactively telephone customers to warn them when their Roadster's battery was dangerously low." I'm interested in hearing from owners first hand though.

I've heard this story in regards to the Model S 12 volt battery - back when they were reliably failing after a year of service, people would get calls like "your 12V battery is about to fail, could we send a ranger by to replace it?" Never heard it about the traction battery though.

I've heard this story in regards to the Model S 12 volt battery - back when they were reliably failing after a year of service, people would get calls like "your 12V battery is about to fail, could we send a ranger by to replace it?" Never heard it about the traction battery though.
The OP is specifically referring to the Roadster main battery. Apologies if you were already aware of that, but reading your post it appeared to me you might not be.

No phone calls but I used to periodically get an email if Tesla couldn't communicate with my car. We have a summer residence that is not within reach of cell towers. Whenever I went a month without driving somewhere with cell access for at least a few hours, I would get an email from a real person (not a bot) at Tesla. The email usually read something like this:

"We have not heard from your Roadster in over 30 days. Is your battery charged and are you still charging it on a regular basis?"

Then there's the true story of the guy who bricked his battery despite phone calls from Tesla warning him it was dangerously low and he needed to plug it in. It was a famous story at the time because he sued Tesla for the cost of the replacement battery but Tesla provided evidence that he received audible and visible warnings from the car as well as the phone calls, which were all ignored.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The GSM feature was added in the 2.0 model redesign because of the potential of "bricking" the battery in the 1.5. Tesla couldn't find a way to prevent bricking, so they came up with the advanced notification concept. I'm sure they use it,but with only ~900 enabled cars in the USA, I doubt it happens frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Then there's the true story of the guy who bricked his battery despite phone calls from Tesla warning him it was dangerously low and he needed to plug it in. It was a famous story at the time because he sued Tesla for the cost of the replacement battery but Tesla provided evidence that he received audible and visible warnings from the car as well as the phone calls, which were all ignored
I wonder how a Roadster owner could simply ignore so many different alerts and warnings regarding the single most expensive part in his very expensive car and then rationalize his decision to spend money to sue the company that was trying so hard to prevent him from damaging his car. It boggles the mind.

Do we know what happened to that Roadster?

Reactions: DeedWest
Will (or has) the cell phone industry's shutdown of the 2G services affect our car's connectivity? I seem to recall that this has already occurred, but may be mentally crossing threads with OVMS and the abandonment of 2G by AT&T.

a few years ago when we lived in austin, it was a particularly hot summer and tesla called me to open the garage door as it had gotten very hot in the garage and the roadster was having to work excessively hard at staying cool. i was very appreciative and i continue to love the support i get from tesla.