Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Ever Refused Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Model S. The wait is as bad as everyone said it would be.

My car was recently delivered to my service center. I hoped that would mean that it would soon be available to pick up. After 24 hours of radio silence from the service center, I hounded them until I got a live person who informed me that they plan to keep the car for 4-7 business days for inspection and detailing.

This seemed a bit excessive to me. I am starting to worry that the delay is for some quick scratch and dent work on the car before it is delivered. Perhaps transport was a little more rough than anticipated. The conversation with the service employee was odd enough that my radar for trouble went up right away.

This may all be paranoia. However, should the car be damaged I hope I can recognize it and I hope to know the procedure for getting Tesla to get me an undamaged version of the car I ordered.

Any ideas?

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Model S. The wait is as bad as everyone said it would be.

My car was recently delivered to my service center. I hoped that would mean that it would soon be available to pick up. After 24 hours of radio silence from the service center, I hounded them until I got a live person who informed me that they plan to keep the car for 4-7 business days for inspection and detailing.

This seemed a bit excessive to me. I am starting to worry that the delay is for some quick scratch and dent work on the car before it is delivered. Perhaps transport was a little more rough than anticipated. The conversation with the service employee was odd enough that my radar for trouble went up right away.
This may all be paranoia. However, should the car be damaged I hope I can recognize it and I hope to know the procedure for getting Tesla to get me an undamaged version of the car I ordered.
Any ideas?
Yes get in the car, drive to the store and ask to see the car. I knew the exact day my CPO car arrived and I went down promptly to see it in person.
The manager was happy to oblige. I am sure it will be the same for you.

It could be that our local store just does not have enough employees to get the cars ready as fast as they come in and the manager is reluctant to tell you that.

Any ideas?

I picked up mine the day after it got to the Tampa SC. 4-7 business days does seem a bit excessive. I'd go down to see it in person if the drive isn't too far out of the way.

Yes get in the car, drive to the store and ask to see the car. I knew the exact day my CPO car arrived and I went down promptly to see it in person.
The manager was happy to oblige. I am sure it will be the same for you.

It could be that our local store just does not have enough employees to get the cars ready as fast as they come in and the manager is reluctant to tell you that.

Good ideas. I will see if I can get out of work early enough tomorrow to make that happen. It is an hour drive for me, so a little tough to swing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Most but not all CPO cars are loaners, buy backs, trade in's etc......they sit where every they are located then once sold they are shipped to the nearest SC to the buyer then the car is reconditioned. Most cars listed on the CPO site are not ready to be sold. It's pretty lame. IMO cars should not be listed on the site unless they are ready to be delivered. I also suggest you go down there and ask to see your car, I did.

Most but not all CPO cars are loaners, buy backs, trade in's etc......they sit where every they are located then once sold they are shipped to the nearest SC to the buyer then the car is reconditioned. Most cars listed on the CPO site are not ready to be sold. It's pretty lame. IMO cars should not be listed on the site unless they are ready to be delivered. I also suggest you go down there and ask to see your car, I did.

This is a new car. Finished production last week. It better be ready to be sold!

This is a new car. Finished production last week. It better be ready to be sold!

I hope everything goes well with your visit to the Service Center, inspection of your car and delivery.
Some of the Service Centers are running a little lean as far as personnel, and they might be bit behind.

Coming up on end of 2Q, so deliveries are mounted and counted.
TM only counts cars delivered and picked up by owners, not the number of cars that leave the production line.

Any ideas?

If you are planning to have an aftermarket paint treatment done, then ask Tesla not to detail the car.

This is the SLC, UT "store" I'm guessing? The one that is still in limbo thanks to UT's lovely laws on car sales? Technically this location is currently just a sort of service center, very thrown together at the last second kind of feel to it. They aren't running nearly at 100% right now, more like 30%. Cut them a little slack, they don't even have full staff yet. Let's hope the laws get changed this fall, or else it will only be a service center for a long while.

Depending on when the car arrived (Fri-Sun), they prob couldn't get to the car until Monday as they don't work on the weekend. At least the one in Las Vegas doesn't. Then if it's a big load of cars, yours may not have been first and others have earlier appts. Of course there is also the staffing issue, they could have just one person prepping the car in the service area and of course there is the actual delivery. When I recently picked up my DS use to do it but there are were 2 others learning the ropes + it actually took about 2 hours and they only do one delivery at a time. Given all the variables, I wouldn't really worry or be too concerned about your car being damaged. Trust me I know the wait gets harder the closer it gets. Have you at least scheduled a delivery date/time?

Depending on when the car arrived (Fri-Sun), they prob couldn't get to the car until Monday as they don't work on the weekend. At least the one in Las Vegas doesn't. Then if it's a big load of cars, yours may not have been first and others have earlier appts. Of course there is also the staffing issue, they could have just one person prepping the car in the service area and of course there is the actual delivery. When I recently picked up my DS use to do it but there are were 2 others learning the ropes + it actually took about 2 hours and they only do one delivery at a time. Given all the variables, I wouldn't really worry or be too concerned about your car being damaged. Trust me I know the wait gets harder the closer it gets. Have you at least scheduled a delivery date/time?

Thanks, Anthony. The car hit the ground there Tuesday afternoon about 3pm. When I talked with them yesterday, they would not give me a day or a time for pickup. They said 'maybe Friday, maybe next week - we will contact you'.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are planning to have an aftermarket paint treatment done, then ask Tesla not to detail the car.

Good call. Thanks. I just contacted them and made that request. It will be interesting to see if that does anything to my delivery time.

Happy to report all is well. I am a paranoid idiot - worried over nothing as usual.

Took delivery of a beautiful car in beautiful new condition. Not a scratch. I asked for no detailing and have had a good time working on it myself. Taking detailing off the service center's plate apparently made all the difference in the timeline.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Another infamous story about a delivery refusal came out about one year ago in China - my recollection is that the apparently hyper-spoiled young reprobate did take delivery but then took a hammer to its windshield, etc. to protest God knows what.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Another infamous story about a delivery refusal came out about one year ago in China - my recollection is that the apparently hyper-spoiled young reprobate did take delivery but then took a hammer to its windshield, etc. to protest God knows what.

He was upset over delayed delivery. And proceeded to damage the easily-replaced windshield only & not damage body panels, like someone carefully avoiding throwing the expensive china during a temper tantrum.

The Model S transports I've seen at the service centers are all open transports, and cars get filthy on open transports. My fiance's car was shipped from FL to NJ. Was detailed before it left, and when it arrived it still needed several hours of cleanup to get it back to clean. So, I could definitely see a queue of cars to be detailed after a long transport journey causing a hold up.

In any case, congratulations! :)

The Model S transports I've seen at the service centers are all open transports, and cars get filthy on open transports.
As a heads-up, the last time we drove by the Scottsdale SvC - a week ago - there were two enclosed carriers disgorging new Model Ss. Driver told me they can carry up to six Teslas. We examined some of the newly-arrived vehicles and they were just a bit dusty.