Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone experience this odd issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just driving along on the highway (doing my usual bee-bop) and suddenly the steering wheel seems to lock while going in a long sweeping turn and the car does 3 soft beeps. The immediately reaction has been to put some torque on the steering wheel and the steering unlocks.

The feeling is as if the wheels catch a groove on the road. This has happened a few times in the last couple of weeks on highways only.

AP and TACC were not engaged and my wheels/tires are fine

This happens to me pretty much every time on a clover leaf turn in my area. I transition from one highway to another in a long sweeping right turn. On my left the embankment rises quickly. If I am towards the left side of the lane, the ultrasonics start picking up the bank and I get the yellow markers on the front left corner of the car icon. Then I get 3 chirps and the steering wheel feels like auto steer just engaged. It doesn't try to steer me away, but just holds the turn I am already in. I give it an extra tug and it lets go. All of this happens when no "convenience features" are turned on.

Then I get 3 chirps and the steering wheel feels like auto steer just engaged. It doesn't try to steer me away, but just holds the turn I am already in. I give it an extra tug and it lets go. All of this happens when no "convenience features" are turned on.

I've had this happen once when going through an EasyPass entrance, with cement structures on either side, and I was slightly to the left of center. In my case too at the time, no AP features engaged. Took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it, and if I recall correctly the car did jog to the right, or at least felt as if it had tried to, but I was steering and felt it immediately and resisted.

Reactions: silverp85+
it seems it happens going right on my car also. the snow is no longer around, but coming back soon :(

last night it happened getting on the highway and it also happened when i was driving and got near the hazard lane near an exit (where the divider is striped).

I've had this happen once when going through an EasyPass entrance, with cement structures on either side, and I was slightly to the left of center. In my case too at the time, no AP features engaged. Took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it, and if I recall correctly the car did jog to the right, or at least felt as if it had tried to, but I was steering and felt it immediately and resisted.

This happens to me pretty much every time on a clover leaf turn in my area. I transition from one highway to another in a long sweeping right turn. On my left the embankment rises quickly. If I am towards the left side of the lane, the ultrasonics start picking up the bank and I get the yellow markers on the front left corner of the car icon. Then I get 3 chirps and the steering wheel feels like auto steer just engaged. It doesn't try to steer me away, but just holds the turn I am already in. I give it an extra tug and it lets go. All of this happens when no "convenience features" are turned on.

did you guys get 3 soft beeps?

Funny, this just happened to me yesterday for first time in a spot I drive nearly every day. I had just gotten on the 90 Eastbound (incindentally right by the new MDR Tesla delivery center) in the left hand lane, as the road elevates and sweeps to the left, i was hand driving (neither TAC or AS active) and at about the same time, my music automatically lowered, heard the beeps, and the steering wheel felt extra tight. I did notice the sonic-sensors displaying red to my left, but it was just the usual center barricade, I was more or less centered in my lane. Kind of fun to see the system function but not so fun when it’s a little too cautious.

I’m wondering if the most recent software updates have increased the sensitivity of this hence the increase of reports in this thread. Hmmm.

Oh, AP2.0 btw.

Edit- thinking about it more, I think the wheel turned slightly to get me further from the wall. Makes sense as I’ve experienced this once on AP 1.0 when attempting to change lanes into a lane occupied with a car (oops). The same thing happened then and the system actually prevented me from crashing into the guy next to me, more or less put me back in my place (in more ways than one).

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
Yea, sounds like Side Collision Avoidance, it happens occasionally when I drive close to barriers. I get the 3 warning beeps and the steering resists pushing to that side. You can override by braking or just giving an extra hard pull in that direction.

It actually saved me from a Prius once who decided it was a brilliant idea to go from the freeway on ramp to changing 4 lanes at once while I was changing lanes from the first lane to the second lane. Car beeped and didnt let me go in that direction, and I looked over and a prius had crossed over 4 lanes at once into the lane I was changing into and nestled right into my blind spot.

I have experienced a mushing feeling of the wheel in town at 20 or 25 mph twice in sweeping turns. They are roads I drive regularly. I have the Autopilot off and I have steering set to sport. The wheel goes from firm resistance to sloppy feeling Suddenly, like an old ford steering wheel felt. SC could not find anything and only they they thought was that because there have been cars parked around those areas, my car is probably remembering the movement in the wheel to avoid the parked cars. No locking however even when I’m yellow or red on my collision avoidance.

Just to be safe y’all might talk to your local SC and look at the pics and info from this post....Power Steering falling apart

Hmm... I'm getting flashbacks of when a Model S drove over a tow hitch in 2013 and Tesla deployed a sneaky update disabling air suspension on all cars to appease the media. They didn't even inform their SC which were confused why SAS was not allowing lowering while driving. It took a few days of speculations by Tesla forum members before they finally announced they did it as a response to the media talking about the tow hitch fire. We just had a "Tesla hits firetruck" media attention, there is a good chance Tesla tweaked this so they can announce soon that they did something. They are allergic to bad media, even if it means screwing with the owners.

For what it's worth, I drive this bridge (about a mile long) in my X an average of 2x day, with the right side sensors red the entire length, and left side sensors going off every time I pass a car going in the opposite direction. And I've never seen the behavior described. (This was in my Jeep - but you get the idea regarding just how narrow this is.)

Just had this happen to me as well. I was driving on the freeway in the center lane when the Radio lowered, heard 3 soft beeps and the car began pulling toward the right of my current lane. Trying to figure out what was going on I noticed on the center console the ultrasonic sensor showing activated in the back left of the car. Looked in the mirror and to my surprise there was another car trying to change into my lane (extremely close to the back left side of my car).

Def seems like a new feature as I have never noticed this one before.

AP2.0 car running Version: 2018.2 0eddd23

Just had this happen to me as well. I was driving on the freeway in the center lane when the Radio lowered, heard 3 soft beeps and the car began pulling toward the right of my current lane. Trying to figure out what was going on I noticed on the center console the ultrasonic sensor showing activated in the back left of the car. Looked in the mirror and to my surprise there was another car trying to change into my lane (extremely close to the back left side of my car).

Def seems like a new feature as I have never noticed this one before.

AP2.0 car running Version: 2018.2 0eddd23
Not a new feature, at least for AP1. First time I experienced it was before AP2 was even announced. It does however sound like the sensitivity might have been tweaked recently, or maybe it's just another feature AP2 just caught up to AP1 on?

Reactions: thatisug and croman
Not a new feature, at least for AP1. First time I experienced it was before AP2 was even announced. It does however sound like the sensitivity might have been tweaked recently, or maybe it's just another feature AP2 just caught up to AP1 on?

I think both AP1 and 2 likely had an ultrasonic sensor adjustment making the feature more robust. It barely worked before.

Reactions: thatisug