TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone experienced dust particle issues?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ChrisH, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Hey all,

I took delivery yesterday and I noticed that there were fairly significant amounts of dust particles (not sure exactly what kind) on the exterior seals on the car.

I also noticed that when I was first using the AC that there were some additional dust particles that came out and some that were on the dash and wood trim piece.

I noticed after an hour or so of driving that my throat was super dry and irritated. Not sure if it is related but seems odd.

Also, are Teslas supposed to have the traditional “new car smell?” Mine does not but I’m wondering if it is because they don’t use real leather?

Has anyone else experienced the dust issue? I don’t know where these cars have been stored but WA and CA both have wildfires that are massive and were creating bad air quality. I wonder if it is some particles from that?

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Do other states not have dust? There are a lot of particulates in the air in CA right now because of the fires. But I’ve always had cars get dusty when they’re left outside.

3. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Pretty sure it was accumulated during transport from Hawthorne up to us during the wildfires. It was very bad the past week... Even the cars I've left out of the garage for a few hours up north of Seattle, I had ash accumulation.

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

That is what I am guessing happened. Anyone know the best way to get this removed? Just a good wash and dry and push a lot of air through the AC system somehow? Just need to figure out how to get it out of the system. Don’t want my little one breathing that in while I’m the car!

5. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

My best guess, and someone can chime in here if there's a better way, is this:

#1. Give the car a good wash.
    #2. Turn on the AC full blast. 5 minutes at the coldest setting and then 5 minutes at the hottest setting. (Though for the rear vents, I've heard that the system has to detect "someone" sitting there in order for it to be active).
    #3. Vacuum as much of the interior as you can, even if you can't see the debris.
    #4. Then wipe down everything with a wet damp cloth (water only).

You may have to repeat the above after a day or so but my guess is that should take care most of the issues.

• Like x 1
  6. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

There should be a set of cabin air filters to filter out outside dust and pollen. Not sure whats else it could be unless those filters are missing.

7. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Agreed. The inside dust seems different than the stuff on the exterior seals so not sure what it might be. Some stuff did seem to come out of the vents when I initially turned the air on though. Wish the cabin filter was easier to get to. I’d check myself if it was.

8. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Thanks I will give this a try.