TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone experienced overtime fees while at a Supercharger?

Discussion in 'California' started by tvbobb, Jul 31, 2018.

1. tvbobb

tvbobb Member

#1 tvbobb, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Teslogs

Teslogs New Member

Never experienced it. Not sure if it was ever actually implemented.

3. Pluto

Pluto Member

I have $2 unpaid balance on my account. I haven't bothered to pay and it's been a year. My credit card on file has been replaced so they can't charge me right now anyways. No one's tried asking me pay either (though I probably would if they did). I'm surprised last time I paid for a service visit they didn't include this in the cost nor did they update my credit card on file.

upload_2018-8-15_10-26-56.png

• Informative x 2
  4. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I encountered this fee at Ukiah in mid July, it was waived since it's the 1st time I incurred it.
    upload_2018-8-20_23-40-25.png

• Informative x 1
  5. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

If you read Tesla's policy on idle fees (in the "frequently asked questions" section of this page), idle fees only kick in when the stalls at a supercharger are at least 50% occupied. The intent of these fees is really to get people to consider the needs of others, and not try to extend the time they are occupying a charging spot if they've finished charging.

Without the threat of idle fees, it's an unfortunate reality that people behaved selfishly and didn't come back to unplug their cars until hours later when it was convenient for them, even if others were waiting in line for a spot to open up. Lines still occur at superchargers in California all the time. It may look like there are plenty of stalls free on arriving, then a half-dozen cars will show up over the course of a few minutes.

A better question to ask is, "how long do I have to get back here before my charging session stops," instead of, "how long can I stay parked here before I get charged idle fees?"

• Like x 1
  6. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

In my case, the Ukiah SC has 8 stalls. When I pulled in I was the 3rd or 4th car, but when I finished eating lunch a few blocks away, another car or 2 must have pulled in, and triggered the 50% threshold. I don't remember if I saw this detail in Tesla app notification that my charge is almost complete.

7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

They got me. My first and only one and they never waived it for me. There was no one else there at all and I ended up working later than expected -- I was more concerned about leaving it at 100% since I had timed it to when I planned to leave but then I took an extra half hour. But it was only $15 and no big deal and just another charge along with all the ones my wife is racking up driving our 3 all over this summer (not idle charges but supercharging charges that sure add up when it's not free). I agree with idle charges, I just thought they'd waive them when no one else is there but I guess Tesla needs cash.

upload_2018-8-24_22-28-53.png

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That’s a mistake. If there was “no one else there at all” you should not be charged. Only if the stalls are 50% full when your charge is completed.

• Informative x 1