Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone experienced overtime fees while at a Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
I have $2 unpaid balance on my account. I haven't bothered to pay and it's been a year. My credit card on file has been replaced so they can't charge me right now anyways. No one's tried asking me pay either (though I probably would if they did). I'm surprised last time I paid for a service visit they didn't include this in the cost nor did they update my credit card on file.

upload_2018-8-15_10-26-56.png

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48 and Need
If you read Tesla's policy on idle fees (in the "frequently asked questions" section of this page), idle fees only kick in when the stalls at a supercharger are at least 50% occupied. The intent of these fees is really to get people to consider the needs of others, and not try to extend the time they are occupying a charging spot if they've finished charging.

Without the threat of idle fees, it's an unfortunate reality that people behaved selfishly and didn't come back to unplug their cars until hours later when it was convenient for them, even if others were waiting in line for a spot to open up. Lines still occur at superchargers in California all the time. It may look like there are plenty of stalls free on arriving, then a half-dozen cars will show up over the course of a few minutes.

A better question to ask is, "how long do I have to get back here before my charging session stops," instead of, "how long can I stay parked here before I get charged idle fees?"

In my case, the Ukiah SC has 8 stalls. When I pulled in I was the 3rd or 4th car, but when I finished eating lunch a few blocks away, another car or 2 must have pulled in, and triggered the 50% threshold. I don't remember if I saw this detail in Tesla app notification that my charge is almost complete.

They got me. My first and only one and they never waived it for me. There was no one else there at all and I ended up working later than expected -- I was more concerned about leaving it at 100% since I had timed it to when I planned to leave but then I took an extra half hour. But it was only $15 and no big deal and just another charge along with all the ones my wife is racking up driving our 3 all over this summer (not idle charges but supercharging charges that sure add up when it's not free). I agree with idle charges, I just thought they'd waive them when no one else is there but I guess Tesla needs cash.

upload_2018-8-24_22-28-53.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
They got me. My first and only one and they never waived it for me. There was no one else there at all and I ended up working later than expected -- I was more concerned about leaving it at 100% since I had timed it to when I planned to leave but then I took an extra half hour. But it was only $15 and no big deal and just another charge along with all the ones my wife is racking up driving our 3 all over this summer (not idle charges but supercharging charges that sure add up when it's not free). I agree with idle charges, I just thought they'd waive them when no one else is there but I guess Tesla needs cash.

View attachment 328683
That’s a mistake. If there was “no one else there at all” you should not be charged. Only if the stalls are 50% full when your charge is completed.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
i just got my first one this past weekend. Luckily, the first one is waived and I received email confirmation that it was. I was only 9 minutes "over" and your first 5 minutes are your grace period, so I was actually only 4 minutes over.

I get the need for this and I have no problem with the policy. I'm glad mine got waived but I will be conscious of it next time. When I went to get my car, all 20 stalls were being used and there were 4 teslas circling the area waiting for people to leave. That could be me next time so I totally get it.

My only question is do the people who get free lifetime supercharging get these "idle" fees as well. Because if they don't then the policy really doesn't mean much if all the spots are taken up by these people, which they usually are.

i just got my first one this past weekend. Luckily, the first one is waived and I received email confirmation that it was. I was only 9 minutes "over" and your first 5 minutes are your grace period, so I was actually only 4 minutes over.

I get the need for this and I have no problem with the policy. I'm glad mine got waived but I will be conscious of it next time. When I went to get my car, all 20 stalls were being used and there were 4 teslas circling the area waiting for people to leave. That could be me next time so I totally get it.

My only question is do the people who get free lifetime supercharging get these "idle" fees as well. Because if they don't then the policy really doesn't mean much if all the spots are taken up by these people, which they usually are.
Yes, all Tesla cars are subject to idle fees. Even unlimited free supercharging cars.

I also don’t agree with the 50% rule. It allows people to make excuses and develop bad habits.

I was only 9 minutes "over" and your first 5 minutes are your grace period, so I was actually only 4 minutes over.

No, that's not how it works. If you go over the 5 minute grace period you get charged for the entire lot of time. So, while you were only 4 minutes past the end of the grace period, if they didn't waive the charge for your "first offense" you would have been charged for the full 9 minutes. It's not like they give you 5 minutes grace and only then start counting. This is a much better system because the grace is actually only grace if you miss the real "finished charging" time and not just an extra free 5 minutes added on for everyone to abuse.

Reactions: MarcoRP
They got me recently in Petaluma. I was used to my cell phone notification telling me whether or not I would be charged an idle fee when I was done charging. I got my notification and it made no mention of a fee, so I continued shopping. Next day I found a $10 charge on my credit card. I called to request it be waived, but just FYI, the app no longer lets you know whether you'll be charged the fee or not. So best to just move the car.

Reactions: Zorg
They got me recently in Petaluma. I was used to my cell phone notification telling me whether or not I would be charged an idle fee when I was done charging. I got my notification and it made no mention of a fee, so I continued shopping. Next day I found a $10 charge on my credit card. I called to request it be waived, but just FYI, the app no longer lets you know whether you'll be charged the fee or not. So best to just move the car.
It shouldn’t take an idle fee for you to move your car when it’s done charging.

It shouldn’t take an idle fee for you to move your car when it’s done charging.
Texas, yes, I get it, but when the supercharger is less than half full, the sense of urgency doesn't necessarily need to be there - it's situation dependent. I've been at plenty of deserted superchargers where no one would or should care if you take extra time after charging is complete. Moreso, my post was meant more to highlight the change in the app's behavior.

Texas, yes, I get it, but when the supercharger is less than half full, the sense of urgency doesn't necessarily need to be there - it's situation dependent. I've been at plenty of deserted superchargers where no one would or should care if you take extra time after charging is complete. Moreso, my post was meant more to highlight the change in the app's behavior.

How do you know a caravan of Tesla owners isn't traveling together and pulling into the Supercharger right after you walk away?

I got my first one because the Tesla Service Center left my car plugged in when they had it. Since it was the first one, it was waived.

I would raise all sorts of heck if they told me that. They should waive it because the service center did it, not because it was the “first time”. What happens the next time the service center leaves it on the charger?