Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone fitted 255/45/R20 tires on 20 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying winter rubber in 255/45/R20. Has anyone done this? Any issues other than ~3% speedometer inaccuracy? No rubbing?

255/40/R20 is stock size

But the 45 aspect ratio tires are more common and considerably cheaper. The extra 12mm of sidewall height should help with ride too.

Thanks!

Reactions: bpon89
No rubbing issues after almost a week of driving. Fill out the wheel arches better, and the ride is way smoother.
There is less than a finger of clearance between the tire and front upper control arm, but they move together so it should not rub.

Speedometer is underreporting, slightly.

I am probably buying summer tires in this size next year too.
IMG_3207.jpg

I am considering buying winter rubber in 255/45/R20. Has anyone done this? Any issues other than ~3% speedometer inaccuracy? No rubbing?

255/40/R20 is stock size

But the 45 aspect ratio tires are more common and considerably cheaper. The extra 12mm of sidewall height should help with ride too.

Thanks!
100% good idea. Much smoother ride and no performance decline.

I’m doing this with Michelin CrossClimate2 next week (unless Costco refuses the install because this size is not recommended by Tesla for Y).
Crappp, just called my Costco told them that I ordered the 45 sidewall and they said they won't install it because it's over 3% and that's just too much. Increasing the width is safer.

I just ordered them from America's Tire (Discount Tire), just asked if I've done some independent research regarding these and I said yes and he said ok I'll get them ordered for ya, it'll be here in 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Crappp, just called my Costco told them that I ordered the 45 sidewall and they said they won't install it because it's over 3% and that's just too much. Increasing the width is safer.

I just ordered them from America's Tire (Discount Tire), just asked if I've done some independent research regarding these and I said yes and he said ok I'll get them ordered for ya, it'll be here in 2-3 days.
Thanks for the heads up. I wounder if they could just mount tires on my new wheels and install the sensors. Maybe I can then just have another shop to mount them. Maybe ?

Michelin CrossClimate2 installed. Looks great. Haven’t driven long enough to notice any difference, but it’s a good thing - since I went up in wheel size and changed
offset for better visuals and protection. My wheels are 20x9 with 35 offset.

Reactions: bpon89