Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone from a 911 to a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not talking about a road course.

It's been a few years, but I'm a trained track instructor (car as well as motorcycle) and I have plenty of experience driving in all types of environments.

No matter how you look at it, the Tesla is a very heavy vehicle. If you're driving on a public road at 60mph and want to suddenly slow down and hit a 90 degree turn, I guarantee you my Hyundai Accent will maneuver with much less issue. Tesla will dive in and understeer right into the opposite lane. I drive the same highway offramp to work every day. Its downright dangerous in the Tesla Model S.

Of course on a track, you're always prepping for the next turn in accordance to the vehicle you have whether it is a Miata, Tesla, Ferrari, or pickup truck.

Again, I'm just highlighting the weight. You cannot ignore weight when talking performance cars. It makes a HUGE difference. You can have proper suspension to hold the weight, but physics is physics.
Very odd mix of truth and hyperbole.

I’m also a track instructor. 20+ years. My other car is a 911 GT3. I’ve driven an incredibly wide variety of cars on track.

Yes. The Plaid is heavy and you can’t trick physics.

Yes. Your Hyundai accent probably does change direction easier.

Yes, weight is perhaps the most important thing when it comes to performance.

But to say the plaid is downright dangerous on something as innocuous as a highway on-ramps? That it will just understeer into the next lane slowing from a mere 60mph for a 90 degree turn? That either means you’re a very bad track driver who doesn’t know how to drive to the car’s abilities… or you’re being hyperbolic to make a point.

Neither is a good look.