Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone from a 911 to a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those who have cars for the weekend and special occasions know - it’s not always about how often you drive them, but about knowing they’re there ready for you in the garage any time.
Amen. I love my Plaid for hauling the kids around or getting groceries but it doesn't quicken my pulse like a "special occasion" car. I don't sit around and daydream about driving it. Judging from your profile picture, it seems a though we have similar taste.

Reactions: 12Pack
Not exactly 911, but I went from 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S to 2023 Model S Plaid. Taycan handled infinitely better, had much better fit/finish, I loved the porsche electronic sound and massaging seats options, but it was just a bit anemic, with 522 hp only on launch control and something mid 440hp or so without or when already moving... It was slower off the line than my old Model 3P though maybe quicker past 70 mph. I just didn't like having such a cool fast car driving next to the any random Model 3 or Y thinking it might be quicker than the Taycan. Taycan Turbo/S were just too pricey and a bit brutal, and Tesla dropped Plaid price $30k ... So going to the Plaid, it is insanely quick, much better range, interior space, and much better power but definitely not sporty handling no matter how it is tweaked.

Amen. I love my Plaid for hauling the kids around or getting groceries but it doesn't quicken my pulse like a "special occasion" car. I don't sit around and daydream about driving it. Judging from your profile picture, it seems a though we have similar taste.
Then it’s time for you to get new wheels, suspension and brakes! Hauling kids around and getting groceries at 160 mph is a little insane. 😬

I’ve got a 911 991.2 GT3 and an S Plaid.

Completely different horses for completely different courses.

The S Plaid is a fantastic toaster. It’s the perfect daily driver appliance, in my opinion. I enjoy tapping into the silent and brutal acceleration here and there, but mostly value it’s daily usefulness and modicum of comfort/luxury. The build quality and service issues are what they are. I’d still buy another one since there’s not a better option available when you factor everything in.

The 911 is allllllll the fun. Every drive in it is special. The build quality is fantastic. It makes ridiculous noises. Admittedly the carbon buckets in a GT3 are a complete barrier to daily usage, though. Getting in is easy enough. Getting out though….for bystanders, it’s like watching a koala giving birth. It’s slow. It’s awkward. You hope everything turns out ok, and you wish you hadn’t seen it.

I drive the plaid when I need to commute 45 mins in traffic to the office and want a car that you just get in (easily) and it does most of the work. I would never choose the plaid for a fun drive or for the track.

I drive the 911 on twisty roads to the ocean or even on errands. Definitely on the track. I don’t want my commute to be “special.”

Having both is a good choice, OP

The S Plaid is a fantastic toaster. It’s the perfect daily driver appliance, in my opinion. I enjoy tapping into the silent and brutal acceleration here and there, but mostly value it’s daily usefulness and modicum of comfort/luxury. The build quality and service issues are what they are. I’d still buy another one since there’s not a better option available when you factor everything in.

The 911 is allllllll the fun. Every drive in it is special. The build quality is fantastic. It makes ridiculous noises. Admittedly the carbon buckets in a GT3 are a complete barrier to daily usage, though. Getting in is easy enough. Getting out though….for bystanders, it’s like watching a koala giving birth. It’s slow. It’s awkward. You hope everything turns out ok, and you wish you hadn’t seen it.

I drive the plaid when I need to commute 45 mins in traffic to the office and want a car that you just get in (easily) and it does most of the work. I would never choose the plaid for a fun drive or for the track.

I drive the 911 on twisty roads to the ocean or even on errands. Definitely on the track. I don’t want my commute to be “special.”

Would you consider an i7 or EQS? Creature comforts are so much better, but the lack of Superchargers is still an issue..

I agree, having both is the best of both worlds. And when you get older and the Porsche is difficult to get in and out of, the Tesla will always be handy. And can get you where you want to go as fast as you want.

Went from GT3 and a C4S to my P100D (not plaid). I think it depends what you are looking for in the change. I was tired of driving cars that were terribly inefficient and a bad environmental choice. The Porsches were very emotional cars for me personally, and strangers would comment on them often. They're compelling and they drive like, well, probably the greatest sports car in the world. But they pollute, require tremendous maintenance, and the attention can sometimes be negative

I believe in the environmental benefits of EVs (think the battery up front impact is mitigated as the raw materials are in fact recyclable, unlike plastic). So for me the decision was more about what is the right thing to do first, and then how can I optimize that decision with a ridiculously quick car

May not be relevant for your decision, but for me it was a step in a longer journey that started with halogen to LED lights, solar PV on the house and solar pool heating, replacing gas appliances with electric, and keeping iThings until they actually don't work/are not supported rather than buying new every release

Reactions: Bucketz
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their 911 with a Plaid, or own both currently. I'd love to hear your perspectives.

I've searched, and also found some helpful threads on rennlist - however, a lot of these threads were before the track mode update.

I previously dismissed the plaid due to concerns about the yoke and brakes. However, with the additional track mode regen for braking and steering wheel now available, along with the torque vectoring, my interest has again been piqued.

I don't push my 911 (991.2 GTS) enough to fully appreciate or require its handling, imho. In the canyons, I drive leisurely, maybe going 4/10th at the very most. I don't track it either. From a practicality standpoint... well, my daily driver is a Subaru Outback. I'd be replacing both with the plaid. During my test drive of the Model S LR (no plaids available to test drive), I found the comfort, tech, and instant torque to be extremely appealing. I didn't mind the fit and finish - it was good enough. Currently, the one thing making me hesitate is the tesla vision and parking assist capability, or lack thereof.

Just curious if anyone had some thoughts or similar experiences?

Also, any insight on how handling with track mode is in the canyons?

Thanks for your time.
Too COMPLETELY different vehicles Model S is a very large, very heavy car. Do not think its handling is predictable at the limit, even compared to rear engined porsche. If youre driveing 4/10 in canyons then plaid would be fine. Model S does a great job of sticking to the road until 6-7 10ths

Tesla service quick & easy. Porsche dealer would have not come to my driveway to give me a 12V battery 200 miles before the warranty expired (that's for sure).

Oh, and the thing is free to run, except for tires.

Yeah its nice when a mobile tech can come out and repair your car at home, but dealing with taking it in to a Telsa service center (which has been often in my case) has always been a headache. Unprofessional communication, and lame uber credits provided (that I never use) instead of a loaner, while they repair my $100K+ car. Flat tire requires a tow. My brand new Plaid had a flat from a huge nail during the 1st week, was pretty embarrassing as my neighbors watched my brand new Tesla get towed away just after buying it.
Ive owned a Tesla since 2019 (I had a 19' M3P before my S Plaid) and dealing with their service has always been frustrating and worse than any gas car dealership service Ive ever dealt with. I have only dealt with tesla service local to me. Where you live in may be better.

EV's are not truly free to run either, as charging at home cost money.

BTW, to follow up my last post regarding the "Gearbox fluid service recommended" warning light issue. Tesla did repair this but would not answer me when I asked what the fix was. No details in the service receipt either.

I would love to own this thing but the resale value has completely tanked thanks to Elon's insane mode price drops 🤢

Yeah its nice when a mobile tech can come out and repair your car at home, but dealing with taking it in to a Telsa service center (which has been often in my case) has always been a headache. Unprofessional communication, and lame uber credits provided (that I never use) instead of a loaner, while they repair my $100K+ car. Flat tire requires a tow. My brand new Plaid had a flat from a huge nail during the 1st week, was pretty embarrassing as my neighbors watched my brand new Tesla get towed away just after buying it.
Ive owned a Tesla since 2019 (I had a 19' M3P before my S Plaid) and dealing with their service has always been frustrating and worse than any gas car dealership service Ive ever dealt with. I have only dealt with tesla service local to me. Where you live in may be better.

EV's are not truly free to run either, as charging at home cost money.

BTW, to follow up my last post regarding the "Gearbox fluid service recommended" warning light issue. Tesla did repair this but would not answer me when I asked what the fix was. No details in the service receipt either.

I would love to own this thing but the resale value has completely tanked thanks to Elon's insane mode price drops 🤢

Sorry to hear this. In Cali Tesla mobile is awesome...just got a flat from a bolt that absolutely wrecked my tire and Tesla were there in ten minutes with a brand new rear tire (he was going to repair but we both agreed it was shot) that they fitted, and I was on my way 20 minutes later.

I own both although different trims.

Model s performance daily and 911 gt3 weekend warrior.
For daily duties and kid’s activities Tesla S wins 9/10 times. The 911 has carbon bucket seats so not easy to get in and out but when I’m in the mood to get those hairs on the back of my neck to stand up it’s the Porsche.

[EDIT: Looks like you already made a decision. I like it!]

I have a 2018 911 GT3 (991.2 generation) and a Model S Long Range (2022 model year, non-Plaid).

They are COMPLETELY different vehicles and I'm going to assume anyone who has experience/own these vehicles has a full understanding of this. The 911 is a much lighter and smaller vehicle with a much better horsepower to weight ratio. You don't need to "push" your 911 to feel this as a simple highway on/offramp makes this clear. The 911 turns in perfectly while the Tesla dives in/understeers heavily due to the weight. I can hit a sharp corner faster in my company car (Hyundai Accent) than the Tesla. There's also only so much you can modify the Tesla suspension for cornering due to its weight. It is still very heavy and you're going to feel it regardless.

My Model S is my daily driver and it is much faster than the GT3 in 99% of situations (unless on corners or going above 130mph) so that's why I love the Model S. But I would never replace a true fun car.

If you can keep the GTS, I would. You have a very desirable model, plus it is the .2 generation. Values of that will stay steady and may even go up at some point. You can continue to drive it without losing much value.

Think about the Plaid as an upgraded daily driver that gives you 99% of everything you need for your daily driving. For that 1% an enthusiast really wants, only a true sports car can fill that gap. Then again, if you never really need that 1%, that's okay too.

Apologies for the messy garage, we just moved in about when the pic was taken.

AB74B6B1-D88F-4826-8864-42B03DC8EB11.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark

I'm not talking about a road course.

It's been a few years, but I'm a trained track instructor (car as well as motorcycle) and I have plenty of experience driving in all types of environments.

No matter how you look at it, the Tesla is a very heavy vehicle. If you're driving on a public road at 60mph and want to suddenly slow down and hit a 90 degree turn, I guarantee you my Hyundai Accent will maneuver with much less issue. Tesla will dive in and understeer right into the opposite lane. I drive the same highway offramp to work every day. Its downright dangerous in the Tesla Model S.

Of course on a track, you're always prepping for the next turn in accordance to the vehicle you have whether it is a Miata, Tesla, Ferrari, or pickup truck.

Again, I'm just highlighting the weight. You cannot ignore weight when talking performance cars. It makes a HUGE difference. You can have proper suspension to hold the weight, but physics is physics.

I race, both in the UK (where I live) and the US (where I'm from), and am a bit with @bhzmark on this one.

Unfortunately no RHD Plaid coming to the UK - so I'm talking about a Raven MS performance on 245/265 PS4s's now. Yes, you can definitely feel the weight in transition, but the car will surprisingly still hold the line to unexpectedly high levels. Not pretty but effective. BTW, I started my Tesla journey with a 2014 S85 on Goodyear all-seasons that perhaps represents what @shamoo is saying, but that does translate over to the cars with the new suspensions and rubber.

I have never driven a Hyundai Accent and don't plan to, but I compete with my Ariel Atom, and have a McLaren road car for weekends as my reference.

I race, both in the UK (where I live) and the US (where I'm from), and am a bit with @bhzmark on this one.

Unfortunately no RHD Plaid coming to the UK - so I'm talking about a Raven MS performance on 245/265 PS4s's now. Yes, you can definitely feel the weight in transition, but the car will surprisingly still hold the line to unexpectedly high levels. Not pretty but effective. BTW, I started my Tesla journey with a 2014 S85 on Goodyear all-seasons that perhaps represents what @shamoo is saying, but that does translate over to the cars with the new suspensions and rubber.

I have never driven a Hyundai Accent and don't plan to, but I compete with my Ariel Atom, and have a McLaren road car for weekends as my reference.
Edit: I race, both in the UK (where I live) and the US (where I'm from), and am a bit with @bhzmark on this one.

Unfortunately no RHD Plaid coming to the UK - so I'm talking about a Raven MS performance on 245/265 PS4s's now. Yes, you can definitely feel the weight in transition, but the car will surprisingly still hold the line to unexpectedly high levels. Not pretty but effective. BTW, I started my Tesla journey with a 2014 S85 on Goodyear all-seasons that perhaps represents what @shamoo is saying, but that does NOT translate over to the cars with the new suspensions and rubber.

I have a 991 GT3 and an X, does that count? : )
I've driven the S and I've tracked a 3.
The 911 is a helluva a different kettle of fish.
(I've also tracked and PCA time trialed in a 964 RS, 993 turbo S, 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3 RS amongst other built track jalopies … not my first rodeo, not meaning some feeble "flex" after all this is TMC, not rennlist, it's just a bunch of numbers that Porsche people recognize. : )
4/10ths in a GTS is still a speeding ticket and still on the edge of "socially unacceptably" quick.
But let's assume 4/10ths means "less than 7 mph over the posted limit and situational awareness".

If I were to replace a Subi and a 911 with an S, I'd go with the LR. I don't see the point in the Plaid. Also, the S is an impressive EV for money. Huge range, far more 0-60 than can be used reasonably on public roads, proven design and these days, yes, initial build quality is generally decent.

They'll get all the parking assist stuff working, but I'd want HW4 if I bought an S/X in '23. It's speculation as to whether or not Tesla would retro support any of the radar/uss tech. I assume Tesla will acquiesce to radar and maybe even lidar (and excuse the decision as "due to regulator demands, we're implementing radar, lidar and USS in HW5 … anyone with an FSD license will be offered a 100% purchase price refund, there will be no retrofits.") I don't see how Tesla escapes the class action liability of selling FSD for so many years with just "mere failure to realize a long-term, aspirational goal is not fraud." Tesla must have paid millions for those lawyerly words that any high schooler could concoct to explain using chatGPT to write their final paper … : )

Back to comparing 911 to Tesla, the funny thing is you can go faster in a 3 or an S (or an X for that matter) but it's so uneventful, so quiet and unobtrusive that the Tesla goes unnoticed whereas the Porsche (or Ferrari, etc.) are so ostentatiously loud and eye-catching, they "look like" they're going faster.

Reminds me of an ad years ago where a new sports car (Nissan Z?) is parked on a quiet suburban street and an old guy is walking by and stops to look at the car and angrily yells out "slow down!"
I'd say the 991.2 GTS is probably an in-demand vehicle and should sell for a decent number. Try bringatrailer, carsandbids, rennlist for enthusiast buyers.
I'd say the Plaid is … ho hum … just too much for the street and not enough for the track … it's an in-betweener … unless you want to modify it for track driving (apparently not) then it's an answer to a question that's not really asked for anyone who doesn't want the "I've got the fastest one" self-image (that nobody else can see or cares to see.) Compared to most 911s, a Model 3 Long Range is already an impressively quick vehicle (just don't try to go around a turn too quickly or use the brakes on track, etc.)
Personally, I'm keen to update our X but Tesla Vision leaves me cold. There's HW4, there's whatever comes next. Tesla is in flux.
Also Tesla is shifting to "Superchargers for profit" so they're trying to "sunset" lifetime free SC programs.
What I see in Tesla's first 3 months of '23 and all of '22 is a shift to "sell a lot of razors, make a lot on selling razor blades."
So I've been asking Tesla (no, I don't expect them to listen to me) to allow me to transfer my "lifetime free Supercharging" and paid FSD license to a new Model X. No change in long term revenue from them, just the incremental revenue of me updating the hardware. Of course they've had many such requests, so they're offering the six-year free SC deal. I see that as their first concession in the negotiation. Tesla has been steadily dropping prices and there's no reason to suppose they'll stop. They want more vehicles at more Superchargers. The exception being, they want to "end of life" all the free Supercharging licenses. Me, I see myself with the "old" X in the garage for a decade or more, not just the next six years. It's well sorted, it's in great condition, it's indistinguishable from the '23 and it has FSD and free SC, so it costs "nothing" (except exorbitant insurance premiums.)
This is great: Reminds me of an ad years ago where a new sports car (Nissan Z?) is parked on a quiet suburban street and an old guy is walking by and stops to look at the car and angrily yells out "slow down!"