Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone from a Model Y to a M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started with a 2019 M3 LR then went to a Model 2020 MY P. Now I haves a 2022 M3 LR and much prefer the M3 LR. The MYP felt slower to me and was not as fun to drive as the M3LR. The interior space felt similarly sized with the exception of the the trunk being much larger (and taller) in the Y. Also loved the glass top in the Y, but to me its all about the drive and the Y just doesnt drive as well as the 3 (in my opinion).

Good luck!

I started with a 2019 M3 LR then went to a Model 2020 MY P. Now I haves a 2022 M3 LR and much prefer the M3 LR. The MYP felt slower to me and was not as fun to drive as the M3LR. The interior space felt similarly sized with the exception of the the trunk being much larger (and taller) in the Y. Also loved the glass top in the Y, but to me its all about the drive and the Y just doesnt drive as well as the 3 (in my opinion).

Good luck!
I feel like this is the right answer. I think the M3P will be much more fun to drive and will have some small size drawbacks.

I feel like this is the right answer. I think the M3P will be much more fun to drive and will have some small size drawbacks.
For me its the right answer, because the M3 LR is more fun to drive and I didn’t buy the acceleration boost yet. The car handles better, feels faster, and also has much better range at 358 miles. M3 P should be much more fun to drive. Good luck whatever way you go!

Reactions: tm1v2 and dnstommy
My closest SC is 2 hours away, and one with demos is further. So, its all about meeting people with cars or online chat.

Kids are 4/6/8. Only the 4 yo is in a car seat. They fit fine in the MY, plenty or room, but the MY is 2 inches wider. As far as Teslas go, the X is the perfect car with a real 3rd wrow. But the current prices are way out there.
I have M3 on order but am retired w 4 small grandchildren- from what I’ve read keep the Y is is more suited for a growing family
Alan g

Reactions: tm1v2
Agreed with both of the above - Model 3 much more fun and satisfying to drive, Model Y much more suited to a growing family if this is to be your biggest or only car.

Can't have your cake and eat it too! 😆 Well not with one car.

If budget and space allows, I think if you need the Y's space, get the Y, and also get a smaller more fun car on the side. Like a sports car. Or if it needs to be family-friendly, Model 3 + Y!

(Personally I like S + 3 combo more but with a base S pushing $100k these days, and a lot more EV options on the market, the S probably isn't worth it if it'll be any kind of financial stretch. Not to mention the stupid yoke. Also the Y back seat is definitely better for two than the S, though the S is better for three across. To me the 7 seat versions of the Y and S both are mostly useless, too little room, you've sacrificed cargo space and kids will grow out of that real quick. If 7 seats are needed I'd pony up for an X. Or consider a non-Tesla EV.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dnstommy
I suspect that the local Ford dealership won't be servicing any F150 Lightnings... probably just a point of contact. Certainly better than a service center 7 hours away though. You think the ICE mechanics at a Ford dealership will be touching a high voltage BEV? (not an argument, a legitimate question).

I expect many mechanics sufficiently below retirement age would jump at a chance for EV training if offered. They know that some of the service techs will be let go in a few years because a whole class of mainstream service jobs won't be happening with EVs: head gaskets, belt changes, valve adjustments, intake cleaning, spark plug changes.

Reactions: father_of_6
I expect many mechanics sufficiently below retirement age would jump at a chance for EV training if offered. They know that some of the service techs will be let go in a few years because a whole class of mainstream service jobs won't be happening with EVs: head gaskets, belt changes, valve adjustments, intake cleaning, spark plug changes.
I agree to an extent. I've come across many mechanics that are anti-EV though. Once someone has been outspoken against something, they often are too prideful to change course.

I agree to an extent. I've come across many mechanics that are anti-EV though. Once someone has been outspoken against something, they often are too prideful to change course.
This x10. My hs senior took an extra curricular auto shop program where they learned basic maintenance, tools, lifts, tire machines and the like. They eventually end up interning at a nearby stealership. I thought it was all good, but one day he starts spouting off about all the negatives of EVs like he's brainwashed. He's rattling off the typical anti-EV speel and I'm just beside myself. I was almost laughing considering we have a Tesla in the garage and he even asked me to put his saved money into some shares of Tesla. The brainwashing was incredible.

I bought a M3LR in June of 21 and then ordered a MYLR in Oct of 21, just took delivery in May 😳 I love both of them!
I take the MY if I’m running errands that requires more space. The trunk in the M3 is quite spacious I will say.
I will agree that the back seat of the M3 does sit lower to the ground. I can’t say how the ride is back there because I’m always the one driving.
My kids are adults now so I can’t give advice on how small children would fit in the M3. But I can say they would be excited to ride in any Tesla 😊

Also consider a Hyundai IONIQ 5 or a Kia EV 6. One of our neighbors has an IONIQ 5 in his driveway, and it looks so good.
Bro in HU has the Ioniq5 dual motor, real game changer, think about an overblown VW Golf with huge carrying capacity.

With the EV6 you lose quite a bit of cargo volume.

Platform cousin Genesis GV60 should also haul a lot but pricier and not half as cute as the pixelated Ioniq 5, imagine if the
crystal globe fails to flip:)

Carvana come to pick my MYLR with the third row tomorrow..have an order for M3P that I put in...looking forward to the change. My MY had 30k miles and just was repaired from some idiot hitting me in a parking lot....they still gave me more than I paid for it..no brainer move IMHO...also, my state just passed a tax incentive

Reactions: dnstommy