Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone out of state (from AZ) to take delivery at Factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - I live in Arizona and am ordering this week. I would love to fly out to Fremont and take delivery at the factory with a tour but am concerned about taxes. If you take delivery at the factory do you have to pay California sales taxes like if you live in CA? I would plan to drive the car back to AZ and pay AZ state sales tax when I take it to MVD to register but want to make sure I am not double paying. Any other issues that could come up from taking delivery out of state?

Thanks all!

I looked into this in May and you could if I was leasing but not if I was purchasing due to the issue of having to pay the California sales tax. I was told there is no temporary exemption for exporting it out of the state. Since I ended up buying the car I test drove it wasn't something I needed to pursue.

I'm leasing and looked into this, but I was told I'd be double taxed as well.

AZ owner.

Take delivery in Arizona! Much lower sales tax rate for 100% EV. Very low registration fee $25.00/yr. Save 800 miles as you learn your wonderful new MS over time. Savor your first few months of driving this brand new all electric experience!

AZ owner.

Take delivery in Arizona! Much lower sales tax rate for 100% EV. Very low registration fee $25.00/yr. Save 800 miles as you learn your wonderful new MS over time. Savor your first few months of driving this brand new all electric experience!

I know the AZ registration is reduced but don't we have to pay the same 5.6% state sales tax as everyone else? On top of the bill your local city likely sends?

I know the AZ registration is reduced but don't we have to pay the same 5.6% state sales tax as everyone else? On top of the bill your local city likely sends?

Yes you pay the 5.6% AZ state tax and could theoretically be bill by the county and city for their tax. If you pick the car up in CA you will pay CA sales tax. If the CA tax was lower which it is not you would pay the difference when registering in AZ.