Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gotten their $3.5K back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't get it back. When you go from reservation ($1000) to configured (additional $2500), that money is now locked in for the car and you forfeit it if you want to cancel. Read your agreement you signed when you configured and paid the additional $2500. Now, maybe you can convince them with whatever your reasons are that it was a completely unforeseen circumstance, but they're entitled to keep it because you said they could.

You don't get it back. When you go from reservation ($1000) to configured (additional $2500), that money is now locked in for the car and you forfeit it if you want to cancel. Read your agreement you signed when you configured and paid the additional $2500. Now, maybe you can convince them with whatever your reasons are that it was a completely unforeseen circumstance, but they're entitled to keep it because you said they could.
And they said I would have a car in 4-6 weeks. If they can change their mind, can't I?

I am just asking if anyone got their money back.

"Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable"

Right. They have been running ragged locating a vehicle to match my configuration. Gimme a break.

Reactions: cwerdna
And they said I would have a car in 4-6 weeks. If they can change their mind, can't I?

I am just asking if anyone got their money back.

"Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable"

Right. They have been running ragged locating a vehicle to match my configuration. Gimme a break.
I'm pretty sure the wording would indicate it was an estimate, not a guarantee.

Call them up, explain to them that it's been twice the estimate, or whatever, and that you'd like to get the money back. Like I said, you can try to convince them. Good luck.

Reactions: bhzmark
There will be more people whose patience was rewarded with pleasure.

Take out and read the contract terms and point out to Tesla (and probably to yourself) exactly what they promised (vs estimated) on a delivery time. And consider your other options and what is rational in the long term.

There will be more people whose patience was rewarded with pleasure.

Take out and read the contract terms and point out to Tesla (and probably to yourself) exactly what they promised (vs estimated) on a delivery time. And consider your other options and what is rational in the long term.
There was nothing rational about the way we went about reserving Model 3 sight unseen and configuring it based on nothing more than YouTube videos and reviews. I was promised a sit-in in a Model 3 (forget a test drive), but the car disappeared shortly before I arrived at the Tesla store. I eventually got a sit-in in my colleague's car after I had reserved mine, and it was nice.

Now I am reading about
- stiff ride
- unsupportive back seat (whatever that means)
- inconsistent braking
- autopilot that is not

and my car got delayed another month to boot.

So now I want to do the rational thing and go test drive an eGolf a second time, a Bolt, an i3. I want to look at $400/mo 3-year leases instead of $750/mo 6-year loan. But before I do, I want to know that I can get my money back.

I blame nobody but myself for giving in to the hype. Model 3 wait line is deep as ever, and goodwill with Tesla from many corners is wearing dangerously thin. They have very little to lose by refunding my money.

I don't want to talk to Tesla because I am not asking for my money back. I am asking the community about the experience anyone might have had.

Last edited:
@ponzu For every negative thing you read, there are 100 awesome things to read about the M3 car. Every car brand/model has negative feedback and critics. While a car will depreciate over time, software appreciates over time as it gets better and features are added and improved. With software updates, its like getting a present every 90 days or so. Ask the early adopters of the M3 when they didn't even have a radio that played until they got a SW upgrade. :) I am all in on the Tesla 3!!

@ponzu For every negative thing you read, there are 100 awesome things to read about the M3 car. Every car brand/model has negative feedback and critics. While a car will depreciate over time, software appreciates over time as it gets better and features are added and improved. With software updates, its like getting a present every 90 days or so. Ask the early adopters of the M3 when they didn't even have a radio that played until they got a SW upgrade. :) I am all in on the Tesla 3!!
That's great.

I want to hear from people who asked for their money back. It may be that there aren't any, or that they left the forum after they did.

So now I want to do the rational thing and go test drive an eGolf a second time, a Bolt, an i3. I want to look at $400/mo 3-year leases instead of $750/mo 6-year loan. But before I do, I want to know that I can get my money back.

If it helps you, I am at the end of my 3 year lease on my eGolf (had to extend it a few months as I wait for the Model 3). I was lucky enough to get a test ride in a Model 3 thanks to a neighbor who owns one. While I can't comment on how it drives specifically, I can compare the experience of being thrown back in my seat as he accelerated, and then going back to my eGolf and not getting even close to that. Before, I thought my eGolf was fun and super peppy. Now, I don't have any second thoughts about turning it in and moving on to the Model 3, if and when it is ready for me (now July).

I also agree with SoCalDude, for every headline complaining about the car, there are many more people who do not write an article about how much they love everything about it. In the end, if the car I get has some issues, that's what the service center is for. If they continue the same as now, then while they fix the problem I get to enjoy a Tesla loaner model in the meantime. Meanwhile, my 3 year old eGolf is still the same eGolf the day I got it, with the same map that is missing new construction neighborhoods. Of course, to each their own. whatever works for me may not work for you.

If it helps you, I am at the end of my 3 year lease on my eGolf (had to extend it a few months as I wait for the Model 3). I was lucky enough to get a test ride in a Model 3 thanks to a neighbor who owns one. While I can't comment on how it drives specifically, I can compare the experience of being thrown back in my seat as he accelerated, and then going back to my eGolf and not getting even close to that. Before, I thought my eGolf was fun and super peppy. Now, I don't have any second thoughts about turning it in and moving on to the Model 3, if and when it is ready for me (now July).

I also agree with SoCalDude, for every headline complaining about the car, there are many more people who do not write an article about how much they love everything about it. In the end, if the car I get has some issues, that's what the service center is for. If they continue the same as now, then while they fix the problem I get to enjoy a Tesla loaner model in the meantime. Meanwhile, my 3 year old eGolf is still the same eGolf the day I got it, with the same map that is missing new construction neighborhoods. Of course, to each their own. whatever works for me may not work for you.
Thank you. Being thrown back in my seat ranks low on the list of things I look for in my next car.

I liked test driving the eGolf (a lot). But that was at the time I thought that my $35K Tesla was coming some time soon (late 2017, did they say?), so I did not look too far into it. Now that my $55K Tesla has been delayed I wish I had.

There is no arguing that Model 3 is a very nice car. I just don't know if it's $55K nice.

If it was not delayed, or if it had a supple ride and comfortable back seat that would make it attractive to the family, not just the driver, or if it braked for stopped fire trucks, I probably would not be having second thoughts. Any one of those.

Now I am reading about
- stiff ride
- unsupportive back seat (whatever that means)
- inconsistent braking
- autopilot that is not

The "stiff ride" only applies to the first few months of production, so not an issue anymore.

The back seat is lower than in some other cars (although similar to an S), and so leg support isn't the greatest for larger people.

The braking issue looks like a software problem, and should be addressed before you get a car.

Autopilot is exactly what it is on the S and X. If you expected something different, you didn't read the product description.

Reactions: EinSV
Thank you. Being thrown back in my seat ranks low on the list of things I look for in my next car.

I liked test driving the eGolf (a lot). But that was at the time I thought that my $35K Tesla was coming some time soon (late 2017, did they say?), so I did not look too far into it. Now that my $55K Tesla has been delayed I wish I had.

There is no arguing that Model 3 is a very nice car. I just don't know if it's $55K nice.

Then why did you commit to buying it with your $2500 deposit?

The "stiff ride" only applies to the first few months of production, so not an issue anymore.

The back seat is lower than in some other cars (although similar to an S), and so leg support isn't the greatest for larger people.

The braking issue looks like a software problem, and should be addressed before you get a car.

Autopilot is exactly what it is on the S and X. If you expected something different, you didn't read the product description.

This....my son took delivery of his silver 3 about 6 weeks ago and he raves about it..."best car ever".

FWIW: Tesla's AP is pretty darn good even though it can't perform a complete autonomous driving....

I don't believe CR were testing an early car and found the ride to be stiff. People have said that recent cars are not as stiff as original, but still stiffer than most in the class (if luxury performance sedan is the class).

Autopilot that only watches out for moving objects is not what I pictured. I was convinced when I first read the Model S + fire truck story that the AP was not engaged prior to the crash, but it was. Granted, the driver misused it. I agree with Elon, the story should be about her walking away with just a broken ankle (maybe not walking away, but okay). Still, the story I want to read is: driver misuses AP, takes eyes off the road, AP pulls over, stops car. Not crashes into the back of a parked truck because AP cannot be bothered with stationary objects.

The back seat is for little people, so if that's all CR are griping about, I am okay. Thanks for the info.

Can we please not make this thread about whether Model 3 is great or not? When I eventually get it, which may or may not be July, I will tell you it's great.

I just want to know about what people are doing about getting the refund.