Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had a Powerwall Plus installed recently? I'm having MPPT issues....

If you recently had a PW+ installed, are all the MPPTs working for you?

• No, I'm having the same issue.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 35kw system installed in late June with 3 PW+. Each PW+ has 5 MPPTs that different strings attach to....only 1 MPPT on each of my PW+ is working, so I'm basically getting 20% production (it's actually 35-40% because of another issue). Tesla is saying it's a software issue on all PW+ that have come out of Buffalo lately and there is nothing they can do until a software fix happens. I think that is total BS.

Additionally, I have to power cycle them every morning or they won't produce solar power.

I’m not sure what you mean by 5 MPPT - There are only 4 MPPTs on the 7.6 inverters. 6 slots in total but 2 are parallel and not independent power point trackers

What makes you think the software issue is total bs? Could be something that impacts your particular configuration

FWIW my pw+ firmware hasn’t changed for a while so they may be holding back larger scale rollouts due to potential issues

I’m not sure what you mean by 5 MPPT - There are only 4 MPPTs on the 7.6 inverters. 6 slots in total but 2 are parallel and not independent power point trackers

What makes you think the software issue is total bs? Could be something that impacts your particular configuration

FWIW my pw+ firmware hasn’t changed for a while so they may be holding back larger scale rollouts due to potential issues
I don't think it's a software issue because Tesla Energy has been so awful through the entire process (which is hard for a Tesla Fanboy like me to say).

Now Tesla is coming out on Thursday to replace 2 of my 3 PW+ even though I have the same issue on all three. I asked them why they weren't replacing all three and they said they didn't all need to be replaced....so now I'm sure they'll have to come out again to replace the third one on another visit.

I don't think it's a software issue because Tesla Energy has been so awful through the entire process (which is hard for a Tesla Fanboy like me to say).

Now Tesla is coming out on Thursday to replace 2 of my 3 PW+ even though I have the same issue on all three. I asked them why they weren't replacing all three and they said they didn't all need to be replaced....so now I'm sure they'll have to come out again to replace the third one on another visit.
Well with multiple pw+ you do have a situation where one is acting as the controller. If that one is borked it could impact production across all 3 for example. This could well be software related, or hardware related. Really impossible to know without access to the diagnostics that only tesla has

When pw+ first rolled out - this was definitely an issue when running in a multiple pw+ configuration - could be there are some older versions still out there

I have 3 separate systems, each backing up one 200 amp panel so they don't have one controller. Sorry for not stating the setup in the OP.

The installer told me there were 5 MPPT's and pointed to the ports and said only one of the 5 are working on each of the PW+s.