Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had any difficulty getting warranty repairs on failed (or failing) 2018 Model S DLR Daylight Running Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to buy a 2018 75D Model S and a portion of the near side DLR is failed and the off side has yellowing on the same portion

IMG_5148.JPG
IMG_5149.JPG

The warranty expires in August (6 weeks). Will there be any problem getting both replaced? I don't want to buy the car unless I'm 100% sure that there won't be any additional cost.
Thanks

The offside one is definately gone, nearside is going but I wouldn't put it past Tesla to try and wriggle on it. You'll never be 100% until Tesla actually have the car in their hands, so you'll only be 100% if the current owner books the car in and gets them done.

There's also a delay between you buying the car and Tesla recognising you as the new owner so it might get tight if you buy the car but can't schedule the service until the car is in your Tesla account.

Can't you get the seller to deal with this or make it a condition of purchase with the seller underwriting any costs if Tesla won't do it?
Discussed that with the boss of the company. They were scathing about Tesla service. Basically the car is currently in the possession of Auto100, the motor dealer and until there is a new registered keeper, they said that Tesla would not deal with it.
Auto100 also said that they are not interested in underwriting Tesla not repairing it as Tesla are so slippery (not those exact words).

The offside one is definately gone, nearside is going but I wouldn't put it past Tesla to try and wriggle on it. You'll never be 100% until Tesla actually have the car in their hands, so you'll only be 100% if the current owner books the car in and gets them done.

There's also a delay between you buying the car and Tesla recognising you as the new owner so it might get tight if you buy the car but can't schedule the service until the car is in your Tesla account.
There is no current owner. The car is in limbo. I guess this is normal because you never have a motor dealer being a registered keeper when a car is bought used and sold on.

Honestly, unless its a SUPER cheap bargain, I'd swerve it. Technically they should not be selling the car in that condition as it has DRL's fitted that are not working properly and would, I assume, fail an MOT.

Alternatively buy it (providing there is no paperwork saying you have accepted it with faulty lights) - try and get it fixed and if you don't get anywhere then (making sure you paid a chunk of it on a credit card for added protection) send it back to the dealer as not fit for purpose.

Just for a rough idea, Model S headlights are going used for about £300 a side on ebay.

Obvious risks involved in buying 2nd hand etc, but maybe that's a starting point for any bartering you may be able to do.

Sounds like agreeing an appropriate reduction in price is the only option if they won't underwrite it then?

When I bought my 2015 Model S the selling dealer agreed to cover the cost of replacing one of the steering wheel control wheels which was pushed in and unusable and also the cost of a second key as the car only had one. I had both sorted after I took delivery and the dealer refunded the cost, so maybe a similar approach here?

Outside of that kind of undertaking I wouldn't have bought it.

There is no current owner. The car is in limbo. I guess this is normal because you never have a motor dealer being a registered keeper when a car is bought used and sold on.
If it ticks all the other boxes for you and the car is definately still under Tesla warranty (4 yrs / 50K miles whihcever happens first) I personally would go for it. If there are plenty of others around I would swerve it. If you did get it the first thing i would do is go to your nearest service centre and get them to acknowledge the car has been presented to them inside the warranty period. They probably won't book it in until you've had the V5 back but at least you could prove the car had the fault whilst in warranty.

The problem is casued by bad design, the heat melts the surrounds and it's £1k each side.

If it ticks all the other boxes for you and the car is definately still under Tesla warranty (4 yrs / 50K miles whihcever happens first) I personally would go for it. If there are plenty of others around I would swerve it. If you did get it the first thing i would do is go to your nearest service centre and get them to acknowledge the car has been presented to them inside the warranty period. They probably won't book it in until you've had the V5 back but at least you could prove the car had the fault whilst in warranty.

The problem is casued by bad design, the heat melts the surrounds and it's £1k each side.
I called at my local service centre when I collected my car but found that Tesla wouldn't even look at it, let alone book it in until it was in my name and on the app. I had to send a copy of the log book in my name to get the car transferred to me on the app so that took about 4 weeks all in - two weeks for the log book then a further couple of weeks waiting for Tesla to enable the app so I could book it in after that.

All in all a pretty testing time.

Good luck with yours.

• Informative
Reactions: DJP31
If you’re buying it from a dealer it’s their problem whether they like it or not if Tesla won’t fix it - it’s the law guv (that’s my best Arthur Daly impression). You have implicit warranty when buying from a dealer, albeit limited, but those headlights are an MOT fail. If they won’t underwrite it then walk away to save yourself a legal fight if the worst happens

As an aside, I presume the car is under 50k miles as warranty expires then too.

To follow up, I bought one.
I went to Tesla Birmingham to show them the headlight photos and ask whether they would be repaired under warranty.
On the near side one, the answer was 100% yes.
On the off side one, the answer was maybe, we'd have to have a look. Which I think is fair enough.
Since Auto100 told me that they are making less than £100 on the car, they aren't interested in addressing any issues I might have. So I wasn't super comfortable buying from them.

While I was at Tesla, I invited them to show me the used inventory and the sales team persuaded me to buy a used one. Red 2018 75D.
Their approved used is £5k more expensive, but what swung it is that it has 3k fewer miles, MCU2 (upgraded), is guaranteed to be in perfect condition with new tyres and comes with a 10k miles/1 year Tesla warranty. It doesn't have the sub zero pack, though. But that's not really important to me.

The vehicle is being driven to Birmingham where I will inspect it prior to it having the CCS upgrade (which I'm having to pay another £200 for).
I was guaranteed by the head sales rep Sharon that they will fix any issues that I am not happy with.
So thank you for the advice.

Next I am researching about how to connect an SSD to my iPhone to watch any video recorded from the car.

I think walking away was the right move, making less than £100 is their problem, you're right not to make it yours.

Tesla do seem to be changing the used side of things, you certainly never used to be able to see the car before purchase and at best got to see a few pictures. Tesla "Perfect condition" may not be perfect but it's the better choice and the warranty will generally be no quibble

Reactions: Casss
I think walking away was the right move, making less than £100 is their problem, you're right not to make it yours.

Tesla do seem to be changing the used side of things, you certainly never used to be able to see the car before purchase and at best got to see a few pictures. Tesla "Perfect condition" may not be perfect but it's the better choice and the warranty will generally be no quibble
I paid a non refundable £200 deposit on the spot, so I'm not being given the option to view before purchase. More being able to ask for their service department to address any issues I have with it.
They couldn't do anything with the price or offer free CCS, but they had to do a fair bit in terms of quality and after sales support assurances to get me over the line.

sounds good mate.

Mine's being a 'mare as well.

Meant to pick it up last Thursday and get a call on the Wednesday night to say it needs a repair on the thermal management system.

Anyway speak to them on Friday and they've got similar issue, they can't sell it as it sits, and Tesla wont book it in as it needs to be under someone's account.

So here i am one week later with no car and no eta

Since Auto100 told me that they are making less than £100 on the car, they aren't interested in addressing any issues I might have. So I wasn't super comfortable buying from them.
You won't hear it over the sound of the tiny violin, but this gave me a good laugh.

You 100% made the right decision. Utterly ridiculous what they were telling you. They're basically just flippers at this point, you may as well bid on one on eBay.

Overall experience and peace of mind will be much better going approved used. 👍 Aside from the used warranty they're giving you, they will look after you much better knowing you bought the car from them (in my experience with a used model S).

Reactions: Spinball
Honestly, unless its a SUPER cheap bargain, I'd swerve it. Technically they should not be selling the car in that condition as it has DRL's fitted that are not working properly and would, I assume, fail an MOT.
Just as an FYI at least in the US and Canada, Tesla doesn't consider those DRLs, they are "signature lights". For places that require DRLs Tesla just runs with the headlights on. (I wonder if the signature lights aren't bright enough to count as DRLs.)

• Informative
Reactions: Spinball
Just as an FYI at least in the US and Canada, Tesla doesn't consider those DRLs, they are "signature lights". For places that require DRLs Tesla just runs with the headlights on. (I wonder if the signature lights aren't bright enough to count as DRLs.)
Totally different here, if those lights are failing, even partially, the car will fail it’s annual inspection which is required every year from its 3rd birthday

Reactions: Rustybkts