Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had experience charging in a detached condo community garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I live in a condo community and many of the garages are detached where they are surrounding the perimeter of the community lot. They have an outlet for the garage door opener and also a general outlet. I spoke with the HOA who said that it (the electrical cabling) probably does not run to each individual unit but any electrical usage is billed to the HOA. Additionally, they said they are not really aware of what goes on in the garage and have not really done any enforcing. I was planning just to use regular 110 volt charging and expressed concerns about tripping the circuit breaker. But I was told not to worry about and let them know if it is ever tripped.

So I'm curious if anyone has charged their Tesla in this type of setting and if any issues have arisen. I assume it will pull 10-14amps, which I believe you can set the charging amps. It would be inconvenient to pick up a Tesla only to have no ability to charge it at home. I drove to a nearby Tesla showroom in the early afternoon on a weekday, and all the charging stalls were occupied with some people waiting on a charger, so going to a Supercharger would not be effective in the region that I live in. Thanks.

I have done that. I plugged in and it was no problem. I doubt they put all garages on the same breaker. It will pull 12 Amp max on a normal outlet. If the voltage drops too much the car will reduce it to 9. You can of course also reduce it manually. Even if they connected a few garages together and someone is opening the garage door, there is plenty power left before the breaker trips.

Can you request a test drive and see if they will let you drive it home and do a plug in test? or maybe someone on the forums can stop by to see if they can charge on your outlet?

I have done that. I plugged in and it was no problem. I doubt they put all garages on the same breaker. It will pull 12 Amp max on a normal outlet. If the voltage drops too much the car will reduce it to 9. You can of course also reduce it manually. Even if they connected a few garages together and someone is opening the garage door, there is plenty power left before the breaker trips.

Thanks, that is reassuring. Also, forgot to mention maybe half the garages have manual doors, so not every garage has a garage door opener.

I think SpudLime has a good point, too. I test drove it around the freeway and streets the other week but did not plug in to charge. Maybe that is the safest to see if it can at least charge it.

Reactions: SpudLime
I’m surprised to hear that an HOA would approve of charging from what is essentially a common outlet. It might be wise to get that approval in writing, just incase it ever comes back around. I can’t imagine your neighbors would be happy to hear they’re going to be paying for you to get around.

I’m surprised to hear that an HOA would approve of charging from what is essentially a common outlet. It might be wise to get that approval in writing, just incase it ever comes back around. I can’t imagine your neighbors would be happy to hear they’re going to be paying for you to get around.

Yea, I have just read a few stories online about how HOA said okay to one person, then saw another person charging and spazzed out on them. And how HOA got really mad to find out someone is charging with their electricity. This is the safe route.

I have relatives that live in a similar condo setup. The garages have a light fixture with an built in 120 V outlet, fed by the HOA meter and 20 A breaker. They charge their Chevy Volt from the 120 V garage outlet, as does another resident that has been doing so for years. The HOA allows this and even allowed them to install a more robust 120 V outlet.

Since this can change with the whims of the HOA management and residents, it would be a good idea to have a backup plan for charging. Getting 240 V workplace charging installed, or maybe visiting the supercharger 1-2 times per week during off peak hours are possibilities.

GSP

Thanks, that is reassuring. Also, forgot to mention maybe half the garages have manual doors, so not every garage has a garage door opener.

I think SpudLime has a good point, too. I test drove it around the freeway and streets the other week but did not plug in to charge. Maybe that is the safest to see if it can at least charge it.

You may also want to investigate installing a NEMA 6-20 or 6-15 outlet, which are both Level 2 / 240 V (you'd get at least twice the added range per hour). You'd probably need HOA approval for that though. Do you have your own circuit panel?

Tesla does have Gen 2 Mobile Connector adapters that support both NEMA 6-20 and 6-15:

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I also recommend a panel surge protector if you go with a 240 V solution (it's a good idea to have one anyway):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...House-Surge-Protector-R02-51110-SRG/202993881

If you decide on staying with a 120 V solution, you can get one of the plug-in type surge protectors.

yes, 110 does work and works great. if you are planing around 40 or so miles a day, you will be fine.
I picked up one of the extension cords and came from the ceiling down to the charger. As noted, from the picture. we did great for the year we had the S. At our apartment detached garages, most people use the setting as an outside bar, Man cave ect. so there was no issue using a bit of power.
apartment charging.JPG
110 extension cord.jpg

One recommendation: before you plug in, find out where the breaker is, and how to get access. if you do trip the breaker, you don't want a bunch of your neighbors angry that they cannot operate their garage door openers, especially if no one can get to the breaker until the maintenance staff lets you into a locked room, maybe hours after the thing trips!
I say that because here at my condo, there is a group of about 15 garages wired for 110VAC, and they share two 15 Amp circuits. The breakers are in a locked room that owners cannot access. I doubt most of them would have any idea where the breakers are.
(My car is parked outside in a surface lot, and I had to install my own charging circuit.)
Good luck!

Reactions: David99
I won't be installing a charger because I don't know if I'll still be here in a year, so lot of money wasted and no big benefit for me except paying for everything and landlord gets extra value. About 5-20 mile round trips for work. Some short days, can charge for 15 hours, other long days, only get to charge 9-12 hours.

When I spoke with the HOA person they were not sure about the circuit breaker either but did not express too much concern about it. :/

I just moved to a condo with detached group garages. It has 110 in my garage but my P100D will not charge. It acts like it’s going to charge, then... First a window comes up at bottom of dash that says “Charge speed reduced. Check for an extension cord or bad utility wiring”. Then a minute or so later the message changes to “Unable to charge”.
Any ideas?

I just moved to a condo with detached group garages. It has 110 in my garage but my P100D will not charge. It acts like it’s going to charge, then... First a window comes up at bottom of dash that says “Charge speed reduced. Check for an extension cord or bad utility wiring”. Then a minute or so later the message changes to “Unable to charge”.
Any ideas?
You have too much voltage drop. Either a bad connection or a long wire that is too small. Or both.

Try setting the charge corrent as low as it will go before you plug in.

Note the reported voltage right when it starts and as the current goes up.

You might need to talk to an electrician. Heat is likely being generated somewhere. Too much heat is bad