Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had the Ludicrous upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. How did you book it in?
2. Where did you book it in?
3. How long did they have it for?
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing?
5. Is the difference noticeable?
6. Do you think it was worth it?
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D?
8. Would you do it again?
9. Other?

1. How did you book it in?
2. Where did you book it in?
3. How long did they have it for?
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing?
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D?
8. Would you do it again?
9. Other?
Spoke to Jesse today in Artarmon- they did the first Sydney one only this week, and he implied that the second was yet to come.

1. How did you book it in? Pestered Melbourne until they relented.
2. Where did you book it in? Melbourne
3. How long did they have it for? A couple of weeks. It was the first one they did.
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing? Yes
5. Is the difference noticeable? Not yet- probably because I haven't mashed the accelerator sufficiently
6. Do you think it was worth it? Not sure yet. Probably not because it has so much performance anyway.
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D? Yes - on the rear badge and on the screen.
8. Would you do it again? Yes - I couldn't resist.
9. Other?

1. How did you book it in? Pestered Melbourne until they relented.
2. Where did you book it in? Melbourne
3. How long did they have it for? A couple of weeks. It was the first one they did.
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing? Yes
5. Is the difference noticeable? Not yet- probably because I haven't mashed the accelerator sufficiently
6. Do you think it was worth it? Not sure yet. Probably not because it has so much performance anyway.
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D? Yes - on the rear badge and on the screen.
8. Would you do it again? Yes - I couldn't resist.
9. Other?

With item 7, now they have stuck a line on your screen, is that annoying when you change screens?;)

I was the first in Sydney. Have had the car back for a week. INCREDIBLE speed. It is not subtle. But the car is a quiet giant. Unlike a high performance ICE car, of which I have had many, it is not at all rough

Been in the cue since it was introduced mid last year. Have talked about it MANY times

Definitely worth it...in fact a bargain IMHO

Took nine working days. They were cautious and double/triple checked everthing

So noticeable. Brutal…like nothing else off the line. It overloads the senses, gravity becomes non-sensical, brain goes into hyper warp for a few splits of a second. Of course there aren’t many places it can be fully demonstrated…is it worth it? IMO definitely not but still an incredible experience each time (twice now :))

So noticeable. Brutal…like nothing else off the line. It overloads the senses, gravity becomes non-sensical, brain goes into hyper warp for a few splits of a second. Of course there aren’t many places it can be fully demonstrated…is it worth it? IMO definitely not but still an incredible experience each time (twice now :))

When you hold your finger on the Ludicrous mode and get the warp speed graphics, are the objects going past $100 notes? ;)

My upgrade took 2 days in Melbourne. Car pulls hard for a few seconds longer off the line compared to before. You definitely don't feel the power taper off as soon as it used to. Also when your driving along at 60kmhr+ and you hit the throttle, the g forces are a lot closer to what it's like when you launch from zero. Prior to the upgrade when you hit the throttle when over certain speeds the acceleration didn't feel all too quick, now it feels quick almost all the time.

To be honest it's how the car should have come from factory. Is it worth the 8k, to me yes :)

When you hold your finger on the Ludicrous mode and get the warp speed graphics, are the objects going past $100 notes? ;)

Haha so that’s what those things are :) I guess at least they’re not blowing out the back end like in an Aston, Lambo etc. It’s ridiculous here in nob central hearing all those idiots red-lining, oblivious to the planetary destruction in which they’re instrumental.

I got it done!

I don't have 21" wheels - but for the same price - I got ludicrous mode.

The cons:
They still haven't stuck my underline on the back of the P85D :-( (What's in a name? Well it's kind of like a number plate I guess. People take pride in their machine. May even be difficult to sell the car as a ludicrous car without the underlining?? Anyway, I suppose it will come - but my guess is that I will have to be the one continually asking for it rather than getting tracking updates from Tesla on that one! And that sux!)

My summons feature has stopped working! Has this got anything to do with my upgrade? My error message is that when I click on the Summons button, the app fails to 'communicate' with the car. Is anyone else getting this error message currently? I am wondering if it is a problem with the mothership as opposed to a hardware upgrade problem. Help me out guys. (I rang Tesla - but all I got was a lady saying a serviceman will ring me back shortly. That was a long time ago.)

The pros:
It does feel reassuring that the car is now the 'flagship' of the fleet (ok ok not 90 battery - but I don't see the point of bigger batteries when you are in range of superchargers).

Is it noticeably faster? I guess. It is actually difficult to say because it is not as if you can just compare it to the previous insane slingshot. Perhaps it is all placebo then? But I would buy placebo. Perhaps a placebo can cure the illness rather than no medicine at all. And what was the illness I hear you say? Well you can't be pragmatic in answering that question; it is after all a philosophical question. I mean you have massive engines, massive power from battery, but small limited bottlenecked fuse. No longer. Now the car can let rip. Yeah. See what I mean? Philosophical. You have to be red hot - not lukewarm to comprehend that one.

Would I recommend it? Depends who I am talking to. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Just got the Ludicrous upgrade done. The main difference I have felt in day to day driving is that the car seems hair trigger responsive just with regular driving situations. There is a sense of much more torque being immediately available, to the point where I have dropped it into Sports mode as default (whereas I used to leave it in Insane by default).
Another significant difference is the mid-range punch for overtaking is more noticeable - that 80-120 (sorry, I mean 110!) surge is far more apparent.
Off the line - it feels much the same as Insane mode - snap your neck back acceleration. Insane mode is probably at the limits of traction for the car already. The upgrade does, however, make it feel like the acceleration lasts a lot longer at a more intense rate. I had always felt that initial surge started to taper off at 50 kmh plus. Doesn't feel like that any more.
(No problems with Summon after the upgrade that weren't there before - its not a feature I've used much at all).

Upgraded to Ludicrous last week, same experience as above. Very happy :)

Summon has rarely worked for me even before the upgrade, so I'm not sure if it's related at all. I just can't wait for them to relax the restrictions and let us use the key for controlling Summon. My experience is that the places where I actually want/need to use Summon are places where mobile reception is poor, so phone-controlled Summon is not very useful to me.

1. How did you book it in? per email with Jesse in Artarmon
2. Where did you book it in? SCe Artarmon
3. How long did they have it for? Overnight- they said it would take 5 days but mine has (apparently) one of the "newer battery packs" so it was quicker and easier than they expected.
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing? Never saw any evidence one way or the other
5. Is the difference noticeable? Yes, as others report: the surge you get from 50km/h is now as great as it is from standstill. I haven't had the chance to do a 0-110km/h launch yet, so can't comment much on that, but "roll-on" acceleration is stronger.
6. Do you think it was worth it? Just.
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D? Yup. It's even pretty straight!
8. Would you do it again? Yup. Don't know why, just would. It feels pretty potent now, not just for launches but at all legal speeds. Feels good.
9. Other? The loan car they gave me was an awesome black one with the luxury interior pack. VERY VERY smooth, quiet and delicious. If you were coming from a big MB, Audi or BMW then the luxury pack would make the cabin less of a downgrade.

1. How did you book it in? per email with Jesse in Artarmon
2. Where did you book it in? SCe Artarmon
3. How long did they have it for? Overnight- they said it would take 5 days but mine has (apparently) one of the "newer battery packs" so it was quicker and easier than they expected.
4. Did they look like they knew what they were doing? Never saw any evidence one way or the other
5. Is the difference noticeable? Yes, as others report: the surge you get from 50km/h is now as great as it is from standstill. I haven't had the chance to do a 0-110km/h launch yet, so can't comment much on that, but "roll-on" acceleration is stronger.
6. Do you think it was worth it? Just.
7. Did they stick a line under your P85D? Yup. It's even pretty straight!
8. Would you do it again? Yup. Don't know why, just would. It feels pretty potent now, not just for launches but at all legal speeds. Feels good.
9. Other? The loan car they gave me was an awesome black one with the luxury interior pack. VERY VERY smooth, quiet and delicious. If you were coming from a big MB, Audi or BMW then the luxury pack would make the cabin less of a downgrade.

Thanks for that Doc. I'm surprised they only needed it for the night.

Hi Doc, when did you get it done? I got mine done around 3 weeks ago in Artarmon and it was the newer batt pack but they had it for over a week (atho some techs were away sick).

I'm really impressed with the result. Feels like a different car to drive now throughout the whole range. Feels even more responsive at every speed.