Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had to reject a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, never pay for the car before you look at it. Tesla will continually prompt you to pay, but don't -- for the very reason you cite. You may reject the car, or the car may not ever show up. Once they have your money, it will take weeks or months for Tesla to return it if you reject the vehicle. I went online to pay on a Sunday after I had checked the car out. Have a personal check handy as a back up on delivery day. It may take weeks or months for another vehicle to be delivered, and they would have your money the whole time. Don't let this happen.

Last edited:
First, never pay for the car before you look at it. Tesla will continually prompt you to pay, but don't -- for the very reason you cite. You may reject the car, or the car may not ever show up. Once they have your money, it will take weeks or months for Tesla to return it if you reject the vehicle. I went online to pay on a Sunday after I had checked the car out. Have a personal check handy as a back up on delivery day. It may take weeks or moths for another vehicle to be delivered, and they would have your money the whole time. Don't let this happen.
This. x1000.

If you have a bank loan or are wiring from your bank, just have them write a bank check to Tesla on the delivery day. Take personal check to cover any other unexpected charges (shouldn't be any). If the deal falls thru, take the bank check back and have the bank void it. I had no problems with Tesla's electronic withdrawal from my checking account on delivery day using my account on the order pages -- the easiest way to do it. Just don't pay until you approve of the car. :)

Reactions: Drew-MS
There have been numerous cases where people have paid with a personal check only to have that check bounce. Same with bank cashier’s cheques. So I could understand why a seller, like Tesla, would want to wait until a check clears before turning over the merchandise to a buyer. Wiring the funds guarantees that the seller gets their money, so I would think that might be the only way Tesla would release the car on delivery day. I know that in the real estate biz, escrow and title companies won’t accept anything but wired funds in order to close on the sale; if a personal check or bank check is given, then the sale won’t close until the check has cleared - which can delay the closing at least a week.

I guess it depends on the area. Cincinnati would take a check. Funny if Tesla is so concerned with a check clearing. They wouldn't title or register the car until they got their funds in hand in any event, but they have no problem getting paid before a VIN is even issued or a physical car exists. In this instance, I would think Tesla is the party that is more likely to not perform according to the contracts signed by both parties and provide you with a car in a timely manner, as ordered, and without substantial defects at delivery, at the price originally agreed upon. If you use Tesla's online money transfer aligned with your account and order, it is immediate from your bank. That was Tesla's preferred method of paying when I bought my car. Funds transferred on Sunday afternoon, just like a debit card transaction immediately after I inspected the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: skeva
I did it online, after inspection, on the day of delivery - Sunday. It was no problem. Tesla has a direct debit system that applies cash as soon as it is authorized by you. You don't need to go to the bank or arrange a wire transfer, unless you want it done manually.

There have been numerous cases where people have paid with a personal check only to have that check bounce. Same with bank cashier’s cheques. So I could understand why a seller, like Tesla, would want to wait until a check clears before turning over the merchandise to a buyer. Wiring the funds guarantees that the seller gets their money, so I would think that might be the only way Tesla would release the car on delivery day. I know that in the real estate biz, escrow and title companies won’t accept anything but wired funds in order to close on the sale; if a personal check or bank check is given, then the sale won’t close until the check has cleared - which can delay the closing at least a week.
I don’t think that’s ever happened, cashiers checks cannot bounce.

Fraudulent cashier's checks have been a thing for over ten years. Many places won't accept them due to so many of them being passed. I have a friend that sells classic Corvettes for a living. He has a whole stack of them on his desk.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
Fraudulent cashier's checks have been a thing for over ten years. Many places won't accept them due to so many of them being passed. I have a friend that sells classic Corvettes for a living. He has a whole stack of them on his desk.
Well, per Tesla’s website, in the FAQ section, Cashiers/certified checks are an acceptable for of payment; so it can’t be too bad a problem for Tesla…

That's fine. I was mostly commenting on the two posts talking about cashier's checks "cannot bounce" and being "certified." If it's not a fake check, that's true. But fraudulent cashier's checks are rampant. So much so, that many won't take them. If Tesla does, that's great.

That's fine. I was mostly commenting on the two posts talking about cashier's checks "cannot bounce" and being "certified." If it's not a fake check, that's true. But fraudulent cashier's checks are rampant. So much so, that many won't take them. If Tesla does, that's great.
And they do, take cashiers/certified checks at the time of delivery. Yup, they do indeed.

Reactions: auger
what happens if you reject a car? I'm picking up my car on Sept 20, and was wondering what I should be looking at in case I don't (travel or issues with the car).

I understand that they will un-match my reservation with this VIN, and I'll have to wait for another VIN to be matched.

My questions to you all smart people: what has your experience been with Tesla on this? Will I get pushed to the back of the queue? I see new orders have estimated delivery for April. I don't want to get delayed by another 6 months....

The SA told me that I'll be put at the back of the line, but that could be because their job as a salesperson is to scare me into not turn-down the final sale - even if there are issues with the car that I'm not comfortable with...

what happens if you reject a car? I'm picking up my car on Sept 20, and was wondering what I should be looking at in case I don't (travel or issues with the car).

I understand that they will un-match my reservation with this VIN, and I'll have to wait for another VIN to be matched.

My questions to you all smart people: what has your experience been with Tesla on this? Will I get pushed to the back of the queue? I see new orders have estimated delivery for April. I don't want to get delayed by another 6 months....

The SA told me that I'll be put at the back of the line, but that could be because their job as a salesperson is to scare me into not turn-down the final sale - even if there are issues with the car that I'm not comfortable with...
They are not commissioned based.