Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone heard this and know what it is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove home from work today and parked my car at my house. I use my iPhone to lock my car. As I left the car, I didn’t hear anything unusual. I wasn’t charging the car. The temperature was around 70 degrees.

After dinner I was going to wash my Y. This was maybe an hour after I got home.

As I got my bucket and brush, I hear a pretty loud motor sound coming from the frunk area.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I assume it’s the air conditioner but why would it run an hour after the car is locked and not occupied? I wasn’t charging the car so I assume the battery is not being pre conditioned.

The motor sound continued even after I finished washing the car.

Most likely the heatpump keeping the battery at a certain temperature range, not too hot, not too cold.

While it isnt technically preconditioning for immediate travel, it still has to maintain a certain temp range to keep it somewhat efficient if you had to jump in immediately and go.

Upvote 0
I’ve learned to ignore all the strange noises that this car makes throughout the day. At any given time it will whoor, Clank, whistle or screech. It’s just got a mind of its own and it’s doing its own thing.
And on a side note - I have a 2019 Rav4 hybrid that makes a lot of the same noises. So I guess that I was pre-conditioned to all the noises...

Upvote 0
While it isnt technically preconditioning for immediate travel, it still has to maintain a certain temp range to keep it somewhat efficient if you had to jump in immediately and go.

Maybe this is why my miles driven per charge is low. In the six months I've owned the car, only once have I gotten more than 250 miles on a charge, and this was when driving the battery down to 3%.

Upvote 0
I’ve learned to ignore all the strange noises that this car makes throughout the day. At any given time it will whoor, Clank, whistle or screech. It’s just got a mind of its own and it’s doing its own thing.
Probably trying to get your attention because it has a hologram of a princess with some very important plans from the Empire that it needs to show you.

Anyway, that's usually what it is.

Upvote 0
Cabin overheat protection? Was that turned on, and was your car in the sun?
Otherwise, the AC fan will run for a while after you have driven with the AC on to dry the evaporator, preventing potential bad smells. That can easily run for an hour.
While the car is awake, which can happen for multiple conditions, the coolant pump will always run with a variable speed depending on varioius conditions. If it's very warm where you live, maybe the fans will run too...

Upvote 0