Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Implemented USB for Rear Seat Passengers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than running long wires from the front console, is there any way to tap in to any power in the trunk or somewhere else so that my rear seat passengers can have USB ports? Or, if as a second option, 12V female lighter sockets for a USB outlet?

I would assume that you could add a USB 4-port hub ... however most only have cables that at around 10-12 inches in length, so I'm not sure if that would be back seat passengers enough access?

Also, how much draw could one of the USB ports take until you start having problems?

What would be needed would be to integrate a powered USB hub and grab power from the aux power socket via a 12v to 5v adapter. It would be nice if there were also a second aux power socket in the back.

There are a bunch of them on the market (not sure about an aux power socket). No idea what the draw is though I'd suggest getting one with a fuse in the adapter just in case. I've used one to power equipment for amateur astronomy field work from both a marine battery and direct from a vehicle.

I am hoping to find the 12v feed to the power outlet (front facing) that comes standard then mount a rear facing power outlet on the back of the armrest console. Tesla has produced a high tech vehicle with most of the "right" features but missed the mark on rear seat access to power, headphones and USB. Even my Chevy Trailblazer has two rear seat headphone jacks that can be independently tuned to any audio source. Charlene and I are expecting delivery later in March so will not be able to investigate how to implement the rear 12v power outlet until the car is in the garage.

Most rear passengers are kids.

Most kids have an iPad and headsets.

IMHO, I don't need a USB or plugs in the rear. My sons iPad runs for 6+ hours. We never drive longer than that. He doesn't listen to our music and has his own headsets on.
Not sure why he needs a USB port or headset plugs??

Last edited:
The need is for smartphones that are being used for more than listening to music. Seems that when G3/4 Internet access is used or when "games" are in action or MP4 movies are being watched the power draw runs the battery down within a few hours. Oh, then the phone doesn't even work as a communication device at the next rest stop.

I purchased 12v to usb port (one that offers 2.1amp output to handle iPad) but have not installed it yet in rear - still trying to figure out how best to do it. I will probably just tie into the power outlet in console. The usb ports in car do not put out much current.