Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone in the uk installed a tow bar on their s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a shame really, my use case was only ever Bike Racks and the occasional Motorbike trailer (under 750 kg)
Let's see if anything changes going forwards. It would be a nice thing to have to be fair.
I bought a tin top and I am struggling with any sort of additional carrying/load solutions.

Even just carrying bikes you have to be careful. Model X maximum nose weight on the ball is only 120 lbs (54 kg), so with a typical 20 kg bike rack, you can only carry up to 34 kg of actual bikes. 4 mountain bikes would put you over this limit. I'm sure the limit is very conservative, but I wouldn't push it too far over. Not sure how that limit would translate to a Model S without comparing the mounting structures. It's one of the reasons we went for the X over the S as we regularly carry mountain bikes.

Old thread but have people seen this? They report that it has been tested according to the EC Council Directive 94/20 / EC. Videos on their YouTube channel showing installation although the wiring seems more involved. I, based in the US although originally from the UK and am considering importing this towbar as it seems better engineered that the EcoHitch. It also comes with a Westfalen-type hitch although I’m trying to determine whether they can supply a US imperial sized ball rather than the 50mm European ball. Comments welcome!
Anhängerkupplung Tesla Model S

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Model S rear mounted bike rack - any experience"

Hi all,
I have had my 2014 MS85 (body coloured roof so no roof bar option) for 3 years and have been using a suction-cup type 3-bike rack for that time. I have no problems with it apart from:
1. drag - three bikes on there at motorway speed really eats into range;
2. potential for scratches - either while lifting onto/off the roof, and also of the suction cups onto the roof, even with a good wipe clean under each cup before sticking
3. getting more than 3 bikes will be impossible;
4. the roof is very flexible and if the rear wheel is too far from the back edge it can push the roof in - not ideal.

What I'd really like to do is mount a proper towball mounted rack for 3-4 bikes, with lights and numberplate on, but as you may know Model S is not "type approved" for towing so there is no official towbar attachment. There are several 3rd party options though:
1. Rameder - BOSSTOW towbar detachable - TESLA MODEL S year of make 09.12- | RAMEDER
2. Misterdotcom - Anhängerkupplung Tesla Model S
3. Ebay (says it's the same misterdotcom towbar but confused why so cheap) Towbar detachable for TESLA Model S Hatchback 12-16 + 13pin spec. electrical-kit | eBay

The Misterdotcom one has been tested to some EU standard, and apparently is fully legal to tow in Germany and Austria, and you can apply for certification in Switzerland, but outside those countries it is as I understand still illegal to tow (I don't want to tow anyway, but more on that later) The (very high) price is I understand for some individual certification to make this possible. The other two I don't think are approved in any way, other than perhaps being a standard design that hopefully has a CE mark.

What I am struggling to understand is the legal implications of fitting a towbar, if this is only to be used for fixing a bike rack. I understand that it's illegal to tow with a Model S, and I have no intention to do this, but it would be really nice to have the bikes on the back, for convenience of loading/unloading and also that I imagine the range penalty will be less than using the roof. I have two small children and so in a few years time I'd like to be able to pack off on holiday, potentially for long journeys with 4 bikes!

It seems bizarre to me that you can legally hook a rack on using the edge of the windscreen glass and the bottom of the bumper (or just using suction cups), but can't affix a bike rack using a purpose built piece of steel bolted to the chassis of the car, just in case you might decide to illegally hook a caravan on??

I can't seem to find a tow hitch which has some other type of "bike rack specific" hitch fixing which would make it impossible to fit a trailer to, and my main concern is turning up to a MOT with the receiver in place and the car failing due to the non-type-approved tow hitch. Equally insurance may be an issue.

Has anyone on here done it in the UK/Europe and how has this gone down with MOT/insurance?

Any thoughts appreciated (although the "sell your car and get a MX/M3" might not be of much use (MX too big/expensive, M3 too small))

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really interested to hear responses to this. Everything I can find is from a few years ago so I am hoping ppl have experience of insurance and mot with Misterdotcom or Bosstow options. Like you I only want to carry bikes, not tow; however I need to carry a 22kg eBike which is above the weight of the roof bar or hanging rack carriers load capacity. Look forward to reading responses. Thanks Barry

Reactions: Tomilett
so I just asked my insurer (Direct Line) and got this:

DL.png

I'm not convinced they even read the question - but it appears that this is no issue for them??
I guess its just the MOT issue that needs to be crossed as well then!

I appreciate this is an older thread, but just wanted to follow up and see if anyone has been using a tow bar on their Model S for carrying bikes here in the UK?

I‘m looking to buy a 100D in the coming weeks, changing out of a Range Rover Sport PHEV as we figure it’s time to go fully electric. The only thing that’s causing me concern is that we regularly carry 2x adult and 2 children’s bikes and use a tow bar mounted carrier on the Range Rover.

we’re London based so will reach out to GT Towing per the thread about above and see if they’d be happy to fit one, but would be good to get any thoughts people have on the various tow bars available / pitfalls etc?

Just spotted on ebay Brink Towbar for Tesla Model S Hatchback 2012-2016 Detachable Towbar Bikes ONLY | eBay

this is a Brink towbar for a 2012-2016 model S - it's the one with the little "nubs" on the side of the towball which make it only able to take a bike carrier. I'm going to get one, as that feature ensures the MOT garage can't have a problem with it, which could be the case if it was a "normal" towball that I could theoretically hitch a trailer to.

I called GT Towing and they are happy to fit a towbar and suggested ordering the “Mister.com” one.
I’ve placed my order and once arrived / fitted will post an update here…. It’s not cheap (c£1,800 all in) but I plan on keeping the car for a while so figure it will prove useful for carrying the bikes and offsets the only disadvantage in trading in our Range Rover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been towing trailers (mostly with gliders in) for over 30 years and have fitted tow bars to probably a dozen cars over that time. Back in the 90s, practically any car could have a tow bar fitted and there were no type approvals to worry about. Many cars had no specific design to accommodate a tow bar, resulting in various after market bars that would need holes drilling through the underside of the car into the boot and various other places to secure them. I never had a problem, except on one occasion where the tow bar itself failed - a break on a fatigue line that happened when some plonker drove into the trailer - so a manufacturing defect on the bar and nothing to do with the installation.

I’m not sure what all this type approval is achieving other than adding cost and difficulty for us all. So much for progress!