Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed a radar detector in a updated 2021 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
forgot to mention.. worst case scenario there are 12v model s charging instructions available online worst case scenario I can hard wire into that with a fuse and put a inline switch in. I doubt there’s a clean way to pull power in the new S. The old S had a charge port but they got rid of it on the model 3. I believe the old S even had a obd port which the model 3 again did not have.

forgot to mention.. worst case scenario there are 12v model s charging instructions available online worst case scenario I can hard wire into that with a fuse and put a inline switch in. I doubt there’s a clean way to pull power in the new S. The old S had a charge port but they got rid of it on the model 3. I believe the old S even had a obd port which the model 3 again did not have.
Unless there is no 12V battery in the new S, but instead the HVAC battery gets a 12V output. Elon has talked about it in the past, but of course he says a lot of things and many of then never go anywhere.

Reactions: TessP100D
...12v cig lighter socket in the center armrest...

For the old S and X, my favorite is OBDII port just in the area that's above the driver's left leg. It supplies constant 12V and I can tunnel the cable from the device from the windshield to the headliner to under the dashboard.

I don't know the Palladium (another name for the refreshed 2021) S and X still would have the same user-accessible OBDII port or not.

I thought I read where the plaid has electronic windshield defroster, so it will have a metallic coating if this is true. Tesla used to put a small patch to the right of the mirror for transponders and detectors if this is true.

Last edited:
I thought I read where the plaid has electronic windshield defroster, so it will have a metallic coating if this is true. Tesla used to put a small patch to the right of the mirror for transponders and detectors if this is true.

The defroster is at the very bottom of the windshield where wipers rest, that is not where radar detectors usually go.

Reactions: DerbyDave
If you take it to a reputable place they can find the 12v source for you. It might cost $150 for them to find the wire but I'd rather have someone with insurance and a lot of experience do it for me.

Of course, things may have changed, but I hardwired my detector into the passenger kick panel fuse box on a switched 15 amp blue fuse. It is the only blue fuse down 3 or 4 on the left column. Tap it with a Bussmann AddACurcuit. The right A pillar has a factory wire channel thru it that is easily accessible by removing the screw behind the A pillar "Airbag" plastic cover. You don't need to touch the airbag and can run the wire in the factory channel with other wires down the A pillar. My detector power goes on when I press the brake to start the car, and goes off when you open the door.