Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed a radar detector in a updated 2021 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that sucks for people who like to mod their cars like me. I have blown a couple of fuses in the past.

I asked this a couple of weeks ago: is there an OBD port somewhere? I heard on the M3 that it was in the rear, below a vent or something (to be honest, I didn't really research). On my current 2018 MS, I use an adapter to get 12V power to my radar.

FYI, I am using an installed radar detector, and love it. The radar sensor is behind the bumper and I get no signal issues. As far as power goes, I want a clean install, with zero visible cables.

It likely uses electronic control unit... without physical fuses, like the Model 3. Something else for Tesla to program. From this forum:

"They use "virtual fusing". So one of the body controllers monitors the power being consumed by the phone charger, and when it exceeds the limit for that particular circuit, it cuts power do it. Sort of like a virtual circuit breaker, but without any moving parts. Then when the fault is cleared (you unplug the faulty charger), the system restores power to the circuit. This also allows the car to tell you "Overload in Cigarette lighter port, power interrupted", this way you know something is wrong and can take action. This was done for fault tolerance, but it makes the car safer and more reliable."
It must. Just hidden so far. Maybe no one has looked hard enough yet.
Confirmed with service. No fuses in the refresh Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: foos and Phlier
So far it seems that the only reliable way is through the 12v plug or the wire feeding it. I'm sure others will be discovered but that is it until then. Tapping a monitored wire will cause alerts. Hopefully this thread will collect discoveries of other safe wires.

So far it seems that the only reliable way is through the 12v plug or the wire feeding it. I'm sure others will be discovered but that is it until then. Tapping a monitored wire will cause alerts. Hopefully this thread will collect discoveries of other safe wires.
Has anyone yet looked for the elusive OBD? That would be another source of 12V access

Picking mine up tomorrow and realized nobody has posted a 12v source for radar detectors or dash cams. Has anyone figured it out yet?
Try using Tesla Waze on your main screen browser for identifying speed traps and police locations... I have found it to be better than my V-1 radar detector.

1631120210017.png

Attachments

• 1631120273133.png
    1631120273133.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: Phlier
Try using Tesla Waze on your main screen browser for identifying speed traps and police locations... I have found it to be better than my V-1 radar detector.
Maybe in California Waze is better. But on rural, less traveled roads, you are likely to be the first to encounter, or the first to report a speed trap. I have never gotten a speeding ticket with my Valentine One powered on, and that is for 40 years, so Waze could never be better than that, in any environment. :)

Reactions: KyleDay
Maybe in California Waze is better. But on rural, less traveled roads, you are likely to be the first to encounter, or the first to report a speed trap. I have never gotten a speeding ticket with my Valentine One powered on, and that is for 40 years, so Waze could never be better than that, in any environment. :)
You are correct. Even in California, we have rural roads. Waze works off crowd-sourced data. If there are no crowds, there is no data. The advantage of using Waze on a smartphone, is that you can see how many wazers there are online. I typically turn that feature off, as the screen gets cluttered. I turn it back on when on rural roads. If there is no one online, I just shut it down and no it will not give me any good data. One of the benefits of Waze for Tesla, is that it shows speed traps.

To be honest, as a have grown older, I rarely find myself in a situation where I am speeding too much. I push it only a tiny bit. I have been hit by a radar gun many times, and they never stop me. They are typically looking for more blatant violators. Still, I use the radar to keep myself in check, and not rock the boat.

I can confirm this is the case. I ran a tap on a 12V wire I found and it set off a lot of concerning alerts. Good news is they went away when I removed the tap. Best solution is to go to the 12V accessory plug at this point.

I can confirm this is the case. I ran a tap on a 12V wire I found and it set off a lot of concerning alerts. Good news is they went away when I removed the tap. Best solution is to go to the 12V accessory plug at this point.
S**t. I am not happy about this. I have always tapped wires on my previous MS's, without issue. I have a lighted T for the front, and tapped the headlight harness for that. I added trunk lights too. Again, one of you that has your refresh MS needs to search for the OBD port. It is somewhere.

What is the 12V battery in the refresh? I heard it changed. Can this be accesses somehow?

You are correct. Even in California, we have rural roads. Waze works off crowd-sourced data. If there are no crowds, there is no data. The advantage of using Waze on a smartphone, is that you can see how many wazers there are online. I typically turn that feature off, as the screen gets cluttered. I turn it back on when on rural roads. If there is no one online, I just shut it down and no it will not give me any good data. One of the benefits of Waze for Tesla, is that it shows speed traps.

To be honest, as a have grown older, I rarely find myself in a situation where I am speeding too much. I push it only a tiny bit. I have been hit by a radar gun many times, and they never stop me. They are typically looking for more blatant violators. Still, I use the radar to keep myself in check, and not rock the boat.
With almost 40 million people in California, I have never had a shortage of crowd-sourced data available in rural areas.

Tesla Waze provides amazing situational awareness before entering a speed trap... try it in combination with your radar detector. ;)

Are you running MCU1? Tesla Waze works flawlessly on MCU2. ;)
I am on MCU2 (late 2018). Still freezes everything too many times to make it worth it. Too bad, because I otherwise think it’s awesome.

With almost 40 million people in California, I have never had a shortage of crowd-sourced data available in rural areas.

Tesla Waze provides amazing situational awareness before entering a speed trap... try it in combination with your radar detector. ;)

395 between LA and Mammoth can be filled with drivers, or devoid, depending on the time and day.
And yes, the best use of these items is to use all of them together. Even better if you have someone driving fast in front of you to “plow the road”.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Getting to and tapping the wire in the console is the hardest part. Run the wire under passenger dash, through right kick panel, up the "A" pillar , and across the headliner as far as you need. That is easy.
Awesome!! I don’t have my car yet, but that sounds super easy. I might even just use a cigarette lighter adapter and plug my old hardwire harness into that if it’s that complicated. But it sounds pretty easy! Thanks!