Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed a radar detector in a updated 2021 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome!! I don’t have my car yet, but that sounds super easy. I might even just use a cigarette lighter adapter and plug my old hardwire harness into that if it’s that complicated. But it sounds pretty easy! Thanks!
My install was a 2020. The new 2021 likely has the same A pillar airbags. If so, just remove the bolt under the plastic "airbag" label, and the pillar cover will be able to be moved out of the way. You will see a factory wire channel on top of the airbag itself. Just run your wires in the factory wire channel up the A pillar with the other Tesla wires to the headliner. I loosened the sunvisor mounts on the headliner to put the cables under it. Of course, don't fool with the airbag.

My install was a 2020. The new 2021 likely has the same A pillar airbags. If so, just remove the bolt under the plastic "airbag" label, and the pillar cover will be able to be moved out of the way. You will see a factory wire channel on top of the airbag itself. Just run your wires in the factory wire channel up the A pillar with the other Tesla wires to the headliner. I loosened the sunvisor mounts on the headliner to put the cables under it. Of course, don't fool with the airbag.
That is what I did with my 2021 LR+ as well. I have not pulled the A pillar cover on the Plaid yet but there is no plastic 'airbag' tab like there was in the pre-refresh model. Waiting for someone to post a youtube video so I don't break things.

Thanks to @MarcG on another thread, there is an OBD port with switched 12V power. Up thread from his post, there are instructions on how to make a OBD connector to get power.

The camera and mirror get power, you just have to find the right wire and start probing with the MM. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so won't be able to do anything unfortunately early.
This issue here (I've read; not tried myself as of yet) is that the refresh cars use "virtual fuses", in which the car monitors the amperage each circuit has, if it exceeds the normal amount by too wide of a margin, the circuit is shut off until the demand goes down, then it is turned back on. This allows them to save weight, space, wiring, cost, and also allows them to pinpoint issues far easier.... BUT with these circuits tuned to the normal usage amount, when you tap them to add aftermarket devices, it senses it and shuts it down.

What I DON'T know is how much of a margin and what you can get away with... what I DO know is that you can just tap the cigarette lighter port under the armrest and run a cable under the passenger footwell up thru the A-pillar. Sort of a PITA, so I'm waiting until someone more adventurous than me breaks some clips forging the path before I tackle it, haha.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Makes sense if that is the case. I don't have the car yet so can't verify anything but I would be curious if that threshold could be changed via software. I don't believe the detector has that high of a draw will have to check but it all depends on what that threshold is obviously. Like you said there is a backup option too. Will be monitoring this thread.

Reactions: DukeofURL
@Bull

Just had my radar detector hardwired and mounted, using the 2021 Model 3 blendmount. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

12v accessory wire was at the bottom of the passenger side center console.

Attachments

• 20210918_164843.jpg
    20210918_164843.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 20210918_164847.jpg
    20210918_164847.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 202
I am glad that this is working out for you. Per another thread, there is one on the driver's side as well. I heard a rumor (from here somewhere?) that these are intended for improved ambient lighting within the doors.
This is switched, correct? If so, that works for me, though I also need a non-switched access. There is an OBD-II port in the driver's footwell. unswitched in my current S. I hope that proves the same.

Everybody is talking about cigarette lighter power socket - there isn’t one in 2021 MS!
I need to install radar today/tomorrow and I don’t know where to start))
See this thread.