Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed a radar detector in a updated 2021 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S LR and have run some tests and there is no coating on the windshield. I also spend a few hours trying to find a hardware location as there does not appear to be a fuse box. I quit after tapping into what I thought was a good source only to get multiple warnings on my car. I ended up ordering extra long 12v cable and will plug it in the outlet. If someone find a 12v hardware option I would love to know.

I would have to imagine it is getting power from some source near the mirror, you might have found a two conductor serial harness possibly but i'm sure there is power up there. Switched power is really key. I have to wait till next year unfortunately to begin testing on this model since it won't be delivered till first quarter. fun stuff

Have a service appointment to address some issues on my new plaid (took delivery 8/23) one issue being the center console cover will not stay open when pushed forward. As well as the passenger dome light not working. I am going to ask the technician about radar detector installation hoping he will have some insight. Have dug through several threads and forums on this with no luck. My R7 and blendmount comes in on Wednesday. Hoping to tap the mirror or somewhere that is not the center console 12v outlet as there is no clear path to get the wires there. Will keep you all updated!

Reactions: DerbyDave
Hey, was that my car? The wire is supposed to have an LED on the end to indicate power and red if there is an active radar signal
Is it your car? I bought it in NC a month ago and the dash has a green light when on and it turns red when scanner is alerted. Here is some pics.

Attachments

• 8346A571-0A6E-413C-89CD-51530EB7747F.jpeg
    8346A571-0A6E-413C-89CD-51530EB7747F.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 256
  • 2326039C-44B3-42E7-93ED-5F34F5D4F02D.jpeg
    2326039C-44B3-42E7-93ED-5F34F5D4F02D.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 216
Is it your car? I bought it in NC a month ago and the dash has a green light when on and it turns red when scanner is alerted. Here is some pics.
OK, not my car. I had a blue P85. Mine did not have carbon fiber. That looks like a micro-USB cable, which may connect to the unit so you can update firmware. Normally, that would be a female plug on the main unit. Not sure why it is a male cable

Technician was of no help with 12v switched power, and scheduled me for a service at their service center for other issues I had, apparently mobile techs are not going to be working on the new plaids as of now.
🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Installed my blendmount today and it looks sexy, I ordered the one for the 2021 model 3 and worked like a charm. I am going to mess around with the radar detector mirror tap kit with my fluke multimeter tomorrow once I receive my trim removal tool set.

If I am not able to find “switched” 12v will it be a big issue to tap into constant 12v? I can’t imagine the uniden R7 being more of a battery drain than the car is already… I lose several miles of range overnight already with sentry mode on.

I’m hoping to get this radar all set up and functioning smoothly by end of day tomorrow. I refuse to run a wire into my center console to where the 12v plug is unless I absolutely have to.

Attachments

• F8E5A6EE-E15A-4D03-B7B4-345F40B04232.jpeg
    F8E5A6EE-E15A-4D03-B7B4-345F40B04232.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 214
Technician was of no help with 12v switched power, and scheduled me for a service at their service center for other issues I had, apparently mobile techs are not going to be working on the new plaids as of now.
🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Installed my blendmount today and it looks sexy, I ordered the one for the 2021 model 3 and worked like a charm. I am going to mess around with the radar detector mirror tap kit with my fluke multimeter tomorrow once I receive my trim removal tool set.

If I am not able to find “switched” 12v will it be a big issue to tap into constant 12v? I can’t imagine the uniden R7 being more of a battery drain than the car is already… I lose several miles of range overnight already with sentry mode on.

I’m hoping to get this radar all set up and functioning smoothly by end of day tomorrow. I refuse to run a wire into my center console to where the 12v plug is unless I absolutely have to.
Awesome, that fits great. Is this in the new 2021 Model S refresh?

You can also just tap into any fuse that receive continuous 12v. I doubt that has changed with the refresh. That's how I power some of my stuff. The fuse box might even be located in the foot well.
It looks like there are no fuses in the refresh model S. It's is going to be a lot harder to connect radar detectors and dash cams.

It likely uses electronic control unit... without physical fuses, like the Model 3. Something else for Tesla to program. From this forum:

"They use "virtual fusing". So one of the body controllers monitors the power being consumed by the phone charger, and when it exceeds the limit for that particular circuit, it cuts power do it. Sort of like a virtual circuit breaker, but without any moving parts. Then when the fault is cleared (you unplug the faulty charger), the system restores power to the circuit. This also allows the car to tell you "Overload in Cigarette lighter port, power interrupted", this way you know something is wrong and can take action. This was done for fault tolerance, but it makes the car safer and more reliable."