Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed an aftermarket yoke replacement on a Model S refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be great if there was a consolidated yoke replacement thread with the available options. I was very much against it before driving given the slow steering ratio and 3 pt turns aspect of it. At the same time I thought I'd try and be open once I got the car. Now I have the car I hate the yoke much more than I thought I would originally.

What I didn't fully grasp earlier was how idiotic the gearshift controls are now, asinine position of the horn button and general button placement on the yoke. My garage is off a narrow alley. To fit the cars in it I have to make a bunch of 3 pt parking maneuvers. I can park the Y in about 20 seconds. WIth the S about 5 times as long.

Dealing with the idiotic gearshift placement just makes it all the worse to do it. About 95% of the time the buttons on the lower part of the console never light up the first few times you touch them. Sliding your finger on the screen is even worse. Not like you can swipe an inch or 2. No, you have to swipe a LONG way. Could you imagine having to rock the car to try and get out of snow?

There is no way I can see the yoke being better in its current iteration. Why have 2 separate buttons for the turn signals? Could have used a momentary on switch that you press LEFT or RIGHT in just one place instead of having to remember which elfin' switch (upper or lower) activates the right turn signal. Horn isn't every remotely easy to get to if you have an urgent need.

If they had quickened up the steering ratio, or made it variable and accelerated toward the end it wouldn't be as bad. Then you are still left with the terrible button placement. To top it off, if you wear glove without some sort of conductive material, they don't work. Same applies to the touch screen. Trying to get the console shift buttons to light up in a timely manner isn't worth the effort.

I can live with the yoke more than I can the button/gearshift issues. I flew aircraft for many years so it isn't like I am biased against yokes in the first place. At least in that implementation there was some logic for me. Still prefer a stick but yokes worked well.

So it would be great if we had maybe a sticky thread regarding replacement options. I look at each one that comes out and can't say I am ready to buy until the stalk issue is fully sorted.

I love the rest of the car but the drive controls should not get in the way of your enjoyment. Tesla answered a question I never heard asked. Wish they would have given an option for a round wheel or yoke. I doubt the take rate would have been more than 20% if people had a chance to test drive it before ordering.
Day Trippin- Honest opinion. Would you buy the car again? Or would you hang on to your M3LR if you loved it? Even thinking of just getting a M3P for a few years. I have to pull my car into a tight garage every night, so I have a hesitation taking the S. I'm a person of convienence. Honest thoughts?

Very tough question to answer. I'll be honest, my M3LR has been a FAR better car than I thought it would be even with a lot of experience with my Y. The 3 replaced the Y. I thought I had a good handle on the 3/Y platform since I owned the Y, but I think the 3 is an all around better car. It was supposed to be for my wife since she liked the Y in general but thought it was too big hence the 3 to replace it. Even though we got the S before the 3, the 3 already has 4 times the miles of the S. One thing to note is we have boost on the 3 and that extra punch makes it a lot more fun to me. Maybe not so much fun for my wife but our child loves it.

As for the S, overall I like the platform a lot. I don't want to bash the stalkless yoke, but it has killed a huge amount of my enthusiasm for the car. I hope swapping out the yoke for a wheel can regain a lot of it. The S is a lot better in so many ways. I love the cooled seats. It is quieter. The adjustable suspension is a big plus as I can raise the ride height. There are a lot of very big dips here. The S has a big nose and it would hit them if I didn't raise them. The Y cleared a lot of them but not all and I had to be very careful. The 3 is lower than the Y and about 50% of them I have to be extra careful with. The S on high height and not an issue. It remember them for next time. I can also raise it so the nose doesn't hit the parking curbs. Maybe not high enough for all but the fast majority. The 3 is a lot easier to hith them.

The range is very good. It just feels nicer. I love having the hatchback. The acceleration alone is an eye-opener after getting out of the 3. If I had the Plaid, my wife would never ride with me. I've taken her on one of my hyper bikes (think quicker than a Plaid) and after just one burst, I think her nails made it all the way through my riding jacket. So the SLR is on the limit of what she'll barely tolerate in acceleration already but it doesn't level off as much at higher speeds like the 3/Y P do. Since most of the time the entire family is in the car, extra performance would almost never be used from a Plaid.

I'll veer a little bit into the M3P. I shopped (drove) this car and the MYP extensively before going with the MYLR originally. Drove several M3P's again before ordering the M3LR. I am probably going to be in the minority here but the only performance version Tesla that is significantly different from the other base models is the Plaid. Whether the Plaid is worth the large price increase to you is a subject thing. Basically in with the 3/Y P models, all you get is basically a 0-60 time improvement and above that nothing. At least with the Plaid you have a gain to 60 and and improvement even in 60-130. So for me it made no sense to buy the 3/Y P, especially at the price delta when I was shopping them. Their might be a better argument for the YP as the price delta shrank a lot. I don't care about the ugly, inefficient wheels or the other bolt ons that anyone can do. I am focused on the pure performance dynamics. So buying the boost for the LR's made a lot more sense as they are all pretty much the same once you are above 60 mph. The only real benefit in acceleration for a P over a boosted LR model is the immediate launch and to about 25 mph. If the P was significantly faster from say 50-90 than a boosted, LR, I'd have bought it but it isn't. You get exactly what Tesla tells you, a quicker 0-60 time. The quicker 1/4 mile is just because of the initial sprint to 60 is quicker but there is not a hug difference in trap speeds between a boosted LR and a P, or even from a normal LR. It is like your little JATO rockets flame out at 60 mph and not really helping you beyond that. Great marketing tactic by Tesla. I have not a single day regretted getting the LR with boost over any of the 3/Y P versions. So I'd say just go with the M3LR and boost it rather than a P. Buy wheels that are lightweight and add a spoiler if you want.

As for If I would buy the S again, it really comes down to environment for me. That has a huge impact and brings out the flaws of the yoke's implementation for me every day. When I lived in Florida, near me the roads where more open I probably hop on 95 and shoot down to Miami or I4 to Orlando/Tampa. The roads where I lived near St. Augustine where generally less congested, not as tight, and people going higher average speeds. The faster you able to go, the more I think the S really comes into its own. Now I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with pretty low speed limits until I get to the highly congested N. Central Expwy in Dallas. Then I have to drive downtown where the roads are pretty crappy even if not NYC bad and a lot of tight turns (more than about 90 degrees of wheel movement), backing in an out of the parking garages (3 each day; wife, kid and my work) and the yoke is just a POS in these situations for me.

So would I buy the S again. The differencee would be I would dump the yoke ASAP. I tried to like it. I spent 20+ years flying planes with a yoke so I wasn't a yoke hater. The S is going to sit as much as possible until the wheel comes. I've ordered some S3XY buttons to remap some other controls. They just added support for turn signals. I am going to map a button on each side, on the backside of the wheel, probably for doing a left and right turn signal. Maybe they'll figure out how to map the gearshift. I'll put one on for the turn signals. If I lived back in Florida, it would be less of an issue than in cramped Dallas surface streets with a lot of congestion. Probably a longer answer than you were expecting but an honest one. I think the yoke was truly an unforced error on their part given its totally crappy implementation. It is the one control you touch constantly besides the throttle. You need to get the primary controls right and they didn't in this case. Thankfully there are wheel options or I honestly would sell my car and maybe buy back in later when Tesla has fixed this cluster truck. The rest of the car is very good to excellent but the yoke just destroys that for me because I use it continuously in an environment where it isn't the ideal tool. Even in Florida, I don't think I would have every loved it but at least its shortcomings wouldn't annoy me so much every day.

So if you aren't opposed to spending the money, buy the S and get a wheel for it. I'll give an honest assessment once I get the wheel and install it. I've already marked on the calendar when I hope to have it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Very tough question to answer. I'll be honest, my M3LR has been a FAR better car than I thought it would be even with a lot of experience with my Y. The 3 replaced the Y. I thought I had a good handle on the 3/Y platform since I owned the Y, but I think the 3 is an all around better car. It was supposed to be for my wife since she liked the Y in general but thought it was too big hence the 3 to replace it. Even though we got the S before the 3, the 3 already has 4 times the miles of the S. One thing to note is we have boost on the 3 and that extra punch makes it a lot more fun to me. Maybe not so much fun for my wife but our child loves it.

As for the S, overall I like the platform a lot. I don't want to bash the stalkless yoke, but it has killed a huge amount of my enthusiasm for the car. I hope swapping out the yoke for a wheel can regain a lot of it. The S is a lot better in so many ways. I love the cooled seats. It is quieter. The adjustable suspension is a big plus as I can raise the ride height. There are a lot of very big dips here. The S has a big nose and it would hit them if I didn't raise them. The Y cleared a lot of them but not all and I had to be very careful. The 3 is lower than the Y and about 50% of them I have to be extra careful with. The S on high height and not an issue. It remember them for next time. I can also raise it so the nose doesn't hit the parking curbs. Maybe not high enough for all but the fast majority. The 3 is a lot easier to hith them.

The range is very good. It just feels nicer. I love having the hatchback. The acceleration alone is an eye-opener after getting out of the 3. If I had the Plaid, my wife would never ride with me. I've taken her on one of my hyper bikes (think quicker than a Plaid) and after just one burst, I think her nails made it all the way through my riding jacket. So the SLR is on the limit of what she'll barely tolerate in acceleration already but it doesn't level off as much at higher speeds like the 3/Y P do. Since most of the time the entire family is in the car, extra performance would almost never be used from a Plaid.

I'll veer a little bit into the M3P. I shopped (drove) this car and the MYP extensively before going with the MYLR originally. Drove several M3P's again before ordering the M3LR. I am probably going to be in the minority here but the only performance version Tesla that is significantly different from the other base models is the Plaid. Whether the Plaid is worth the large price increase to you is a subject thing. Basically in with the 3/Y P models, all you get is basically a 0-60 time improvement and above that nothing. At least with the Plaid you have a gain to 60 and and improvement even in 60-130. So for me it made no sense to buy the 3/Y P, especially at the price delta when I was shopping them. Their might be a better argument for the YP as the price delta shrank a lot. I don't care about the ugly, inefficient wheels or the other bolt ons that anyone can do. I am focused on the pure performance dynamics. So buying the boost for the LR's made a lot more sense as they are all pretty much the same once you are above 60 mph. The only real benefit in acceleration for a P over a boosted LR model is the immediate launch and to about 25 mph. If the P was significantly faster from say 50-90 than a boosted, LR, I'd have bought it but it isn't. You get exactly what Tesla tells you, a quicker 0-60 time. The quicker 1/4 mile is just because of the initial sprint to 60 is quicker but there is not a hug difference in trap speeds between a boosted LR and a P, or even from a normal LR. It is like your little JATO rockets flame out at 60 mph and not really helping you beyond that. Great marketing tactic by Tesla. I have not a single day regretted getting the LR with boost over any of the 3/Y P versions. So I'd say just go with the M3LR and boost it rather than a P. Buy wheels that are lightweight and add a spoiler if you want.

As for If I would buy the S again, it really comes down to environment for me. That has a huge impact and brings out the flaws of the yoke's implementation for me every day. When I lived in Florida, near me the roads where more open I probably hop on 95 and shoot down to Miami or I4 to Orlando/Tampa. The roads where I lived near St. Augustine where generally less congested, not as tight, and people going higher average speeds. The faster you able to go, the more I think the S really comes into its own. Now I am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with pretty low speed limits until I get to the highly congested N. Central Expwy in Dallas. Then I have to drive downtown where the roads are pretty crappy even if not NYC bad and a lot of tight turns (more than about 90 degrees of wheel movement), backing in an out of the parking garages (3 each day; wife, kid and my work) and the yoke is just a POS in these situations for me.

So would I buy the S again. The differencee would be I would dump the yoke ASAP. I tried to like it. I spent 20+ years flying planes with a yoke so I wasn't a yoke hater. The S is going to sit as much as possible until the wheel comes. I've ordered some S3XY buttons to remap some other controls. They just added support for turn signals. I am going to map a button on each side, on the backside of the wheel, probably for doing a left and right turn signal. Maybe they'll figure out how to map the gearshift. I'll put one on for the turn signals. If I lived back in Florida, it would be less of an issue than in cramped Dallas surface streets with a lot of congestion. Probably a longer answer than you were expecting but an honest one. I think the yoke was truly an unforced error on their part given its totally crappy implementation. It is the one control you touch constantly besides the throttle. You need to get the primary controls right and they didn't in this case. Thankfully there are wheel options or I honestly would sell my car and maybe buy back in later when Tesla has fixed this cluster truck. The rest of the car is very good to excellent but the yoke just destroys that for me because I use it continuously in an environment where it isn't the ideal tool. Even in Florida, I don't think I would have every loved it but at least its shortcomings wouldn't annoy me so much every day.

So if you aren't opposed to spending the money, buy the S and get a wheel for it. I'll give an honest assessment once I get the wheel and install it. I've already marked on the calendar when I hope to have it.
Thank you very much! What about the forward reverse controls? The blinkcers do not bother me.

Thank you very much! What about the forward reverse controls? The blinkcers do not bother me.
The forward reverse controls are the biggest eff up of the entire implementation. That is where I hope the S3XY buttons might at some point be able to be mapped to control it.

If it was just the yokes or the lack of stalks, it would be easier for me to tolerate (but never love). Put them both together and it I absolutely hate it unless I am just steady state cruising on the highway or wider sweeping roads. At least a wheel replacement isn't terrible for the cost and I am going with real leather which I like better. No carbon fiber. It may look nice but don't like how it feels in the hand.

DM me if you want any more detailed info. Some people are so protective of Tesla that I dial back my comments a bit in an open forum.

The forward reverse controls are the biggest eff up of the entire implementation. That is where I hope the S3XY buttons might at some point be able to be mapped to control it.

If it was just the yokes or the lack of stalks, it would be easier for me to tolerate (but never love). Put them both together and it I absolutely hate it unless I am just steady state cruising on the highway or wider sweeping roads. At least a wheel replacement isn't terrible for the cost and I am going with real leather which I like better. No carbon fiber. It may look nice but don't like how it feels in the hand.

DM me if you want any more detailed info. Some people are so protective of Tesla that I dial back my comments a bit in an open forum.
Thank you! I will DM later. Someone from this forum was nice enough to meet up and let me drive their MSLR. The car was beautiful but when I got home and had to back in and out of my garage a few time I imagined using the S controls and started second guessing again.

Feel free to reach out.

If you have a wall, the auto gear selection is pretty good at choosing which direction to go. If you have poles/pillars/fence in front of you, like in a parking garage lot pretty much sucks. Even if the obstruction if right in front of the main cameras. It has promise but like often with things from Tesla has a ways to go.

Here is an example of where auto direction failed miserably. Clearly a pole in front of the car, sensors say there is an obstruction, and it still says the direction it things I want to go is forward. So obviously no sensor as an input.

1653322406769.png

Just to add on to this thread, I ordered the Hansshow wheel to replace my yoke. I should have it in about 20 days. I couldn't stand dealing with the yoke any longer or waiting for a Tesla solution. Hopefully something will come along to take care of the stalks.

What triggered it for me was I was in a situation where I was almost in an accident when I turned the yoke to avoid someone. Muscle memory from other cars including my 3, had me reaching for contact point that didn't exist on the yoke. Thankfully the other person realized they screwed up or it would have been a pretty bad collision.

If I only drove the S all the, might be less of an issue. Just not worth dealing with the yoke anymore. I'll still have to contend with the stupid button placement and idiotic gearshift but at least I'll enjoy actually driving the car in a more enthusiastic manner on tight roads and just generally in the city. I get some of you like the yoke but after several months, I still don't like it. So time to either dump the car or replace the wheel. So I chose the latter as I like almost everything else about the car.
Did you get the wheel? What has the experience been? Is it much larger than a Model 3 wheel? Any photos and feedback would be great!

I'll never go back to the yoke. It GREATLY improved my enjoyment of the car.

I'd snap a photo but my car and I are thousands of miles apart at the moment. A lot of other posts on here with the same wheel (Hansshow). It is smaller than the yoke and maybe just a touch bigger than the 3/Y wheel. If memory serves me correctly, I think it is about 14.5" across.

I'll never go back to the yoke. It GREATLY improved my enjoyment of the car.

I'd snap a photo but my car and I are thousands of miles apart at the moment. A lot of other posts on here with the same wheel (Hansshow). It is smaller than the yoke and maybe just a touch bigger than the 3/Y wheel. If memory serves me correctly, I think it is about 14.5" across.
Thank you very much!!

Like others on here, I went with the Hansshow wheel. Just posted a review of it here.

Here is an example of where auto direction failed miserably. Clearly a pole in front of the car, sensors say there is an obstruction, and it still says the direction it things I want to go is forward. So obviously no sensor as an input.

View attachment 807843
I've had my car wanna go through poles and motorcycles before, but as of this weekend, it now wants to mow down brick walls (not to mention the concrete curb that was also in the way):
1661205743256.png

Many 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid owners do not prefer the plaid Shaped YOKE steering wheel, and we are offering this as a great solution.This Rounded Steering Wheel is the best you can buy. It features a welded steel top, along with the best gauge cluster visibility, and the highest quality leather and carbon fiber.

Pic detailed:
1677122142368.png
1677122165771.png
1677122181765.png