Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed an aftermarket yoke replacement on a Model S refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have one (yet!!!), but a few on twitter have done a fully customized one for their Model S/X from here. Looks pretty impressive.

Thank you. I was more curious about a round wheel style.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Thank you. I was more curious about a round wheel style.
Ohh, so you mean like this?

Since you don't have the car yet, give the yoke a chance before you look for replacements. Maybe you'll like it.
Where isn South Florida are you? I am in Delray beach. I drove my friends Plaid, he loves the car hates the yoke and no stalks 3 months in now and another friend in NY has a LR that said he used to the yoke but it's annoying and hates no stalks. I like to drive a lot with one hand on top of the wheel. I know people say it is engaging but I just want to drive the car, not pretetnt I am racing on a track.

Reactions: Wol747
Since you don't have the car yet, give the yoke a chance before you look for replacements. Maybe you'll like it.
Agreed. Before I got the car I thought I would like the yoke and was very open to it. But once I started driving it I hated it. and especially backing up and doing sharp turns I thought the yoke was terrible and I would try to switch as soon as I could. You can read my complaints somewhere on this forum.

But 8k miles in I am quite used to it and find no disadvantage anymore and even like the leverage feeling you get on turns -- you can more easily use your whole arm leverage to hook your thumb in the corner and lever the wheel around on a turn instead of having to grip the rim and use the smaller grip and wrist muscles. That only applies to turning within about 90 degrees of the wheel -- for sharper turns, or for fancy racing and especially drifting/donuts the ability to let the wheel run through your gripped fingers is a method with no substitute with a yoke.

I'm perfectly content with the yoke now and no plans to change and even miss it a bit when I have to drive one of the non-yoke Teslas

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Agreed. Before I got the car I thought I would like the yoke and was very open to it. But once I started driving it I hated it. and especially backing up and doing sharp turns I thought the yoke was terrible and I would try to switch as soon as I could. You can read my complaints somewhere on this forum.

But 8k miles in I am quite used to it and find no disadvantage anymore and even like the leverage feeling you get on turns -- you can more easily use your whole arm leverage to hook your thumb in the corner and lever the wheel around on a turn instead of having to grip the rim and use the smaller grip and wrist muscles. That only applies to turning within about 90 degrees of the wheel -- for sharper turns, or for fancy racing and especially drifting/donuts the ability to let the wheel run through your gripped fingers is a method with no substitute with a yoke.

I'm perfectly content with the yoke now and no plans to change and even miss it a bit when I have to drive one of the non-yoke Teslas
Great feedback

Reactions: bhzmark
It would be great if there was a consolidated yoke replacement thread with the available options. I was very much against it before driving given the slow steering ratio and 3 pt turns aspect of it. At the same time I thought I'd try and be open once I got the car. Now I have the car I hate the yoke much more than I thought I would originally.

What I didn't fully grasp earlier was how idiotic the gearshift controls are now, asinine position of the horn button and general button placement on the yoke. My garage is off a narrow alley. To fit the cars in it I have to make a bunch of 3 pt parking maneuvers. I can park the Y in about 20 seconds. WIth the S about 5 times as long.

Dealing with the idiotic gearshift placement just makes it all the worse to do it. About 95% of the time the buttons on the lower part of the console never light up the first few times you touch them. Sliding your finger on the screen is even worse. Not like you can swipe an inch or 2. No, you have to swipe a LONG way. Could you imagine having to rock the car to try and get out of snow?

There is no way I can see the yoke being better in its current iteration. Why have 2 separate buttons for the turn signals? Could have used a momentary on switch that you press LEFT or RIGHT in just one place instead of having to remember which elfin' switch (upper or lower) activates the right turn signal. Horn isn't every remotely easy to get to if you have an urgent need.

If they had quickened up the steering ratio, or made it variable and accelerated toward the end it wouldn't be as bad. Then you are still left with the terrible button placement. To top it off, if you wear glove without some sort of conductive material, they don't work. Same applies to the touch screen. Trying to get the console shift buttons to light up in a timely manner isn't worth the effort.

I can live with the yoke more than I can the button/gearshift issues. I flew aircraft for many years so it isn't like I am biased against yokes in the first place. At least in that implementation there was some logic for me. Still prefer a stick but yokes worked well.

So it would be great if we had maybe a sticky thread regarding replacement options. I look at each one that comes out and can't say I am ready to buy until the stalk issue is fully sorted.

I love the rest of the car but the drive controls should not get in the way of your enjoyment. Tesla answered a question I never heard asked. Wish they would have given an option for a round wheel or yoke. I doubt the take rate would have been more than 20% if people had a chance to test drive it before ordering.

Reactions: Murtaya and kazamm
It would be great if there was a consolidated yoke replacement thread with the available options. I was very much against it before driving given the slow steering ratio and 3 pt turns aspect of it. At the same time I thought I'd try and be open once I got the car. Now I have the car I hate the yoke much more than I thought I would originally.

What I didn't fully grasp earlier was how idiotic the gearshift controls are now, asinine position of the horn button and general button placement on the yoke. My garage is off a narrow alley. To fit the cars in it I have to make a bunch of 3 pt parking maneuvers. I can park the Y in about 20 seconds. WIth the S about 5 times as long.

Dealing with the idiotic gearshift placement just makes it all the worse to do it. About 95% of the time the buttons on the lower part of the console never light up the first few times you touch them. Sliding your finger on the screen is even worse. Not like you can swipe an inch or 2. No, you have to swipe a LONG way. Could you imagine having to rock the car to try and get out of snow?

There is no way I can see the yoke being better in its current iteration. Why have 2 separate buttons for the turn signals? Could have used a momentary on switch that you press LEFT or RIGHT in just one place instead of having to remember which elfin' switch (upper or lower) activates the right turn signal. Horn isn't every remotely easy to get to if you have an urgent need.

If they had quickened up the steering ratio, or made it variable and accelerated toward the end it wouldn't be as bad. Then you are still left with the terrible button placement. To top it off, if you wear glove without some sort of conductive material, they don't work. Same applies to the touch screen. Trying to get the console shift buttons to light up in a timely manner isn't worth the effort.

I can live with the yoke more than I can the button/gearshift issues. I flew aircraft for many years so it isn't like I am biased against yokes in the first place. At least in that implementation there was some logic for me. Still prefer a stick but yokes worked well.

So it would be great if we had maybe a sticky thread regarding replacement options. I look at each one that comes out and can't say I am ready to buy until the stalk issue is fully sorted.

I love the rest of the car but the drive controls should not get in the way of your enjoyment. Tesla answered a question I never heard asked. Wish they would have given an option for a round wheel or yoke. I doubt the take rate would have been more than 20% if people had a chance to test drive it before ordering.
I agree with you on the shifting, turn signal and horn issues. The yoke is fun, but these other controls are not. FYI, you can illuminate the shift buttons on console with a quick press of left/right scroll wheels at the same time. I think you must be in park, or at least stationary with brake on.

I agree with you on the shifting, turn signal and horn issues. The yoke is fun, but these other controls are not. FYI, you can illuminate the shift buttons on console with a quick press of left/right scroll wheels at the same time. I think you must be in park, or at least stationary with brake on.
The one plus is at the auto direction selection gets it right about 90% of the time when in my garage. ;) It is smart enough at least to tell me which way it plans to send me when I press on the brake.

I'll try the trick with both buttons pressed. When they dropped off the car they said I could just select the gears by touching the console. They tried a bunch of times and it maybe worked about 1 out of 10. With practice I can get them to light up about 1 out of 5 or 1 in 2 tries if very lucky.

One of my rules for driving is I shouldn't have to take my eyes off the road to do things like turn signals, lights, wipers, gears, etc. Tesla failed miserably in many of these areas. At least they nailed the drivetrain. Still can't get homelink to work after about 30 tries of pairing it with the remote. Pretty much ready to give up on that one unless a mobile tech visit can help with it.

Just to add on to this thread, I ordered the Hansshow wheel to replace my yoke. I should have it in about 20 days. I couldn't stand dealing with the yoke any longer or waiting for a Tesla solution. Hopefully something will come along to take care of the stalks.

What triggered it for me was I was in a situation where I was almost in an accident when I turned the yoke to avoid someone. Muscle memory from other cars including my 3, had me reaching for contact point that didn't exist on the yoke. Thankfully the other person realized they screwed up or it would have been a pretty bad collision.

If I only drove the S all the, might be less of an issue. Just not worth dealing with the yoke anymore. I'll still have to contend with the stupid button placement and idiotic gearshift but at least I'll enjoy actually driving the car in a more enthusiastic manner on tight roads and just generally in the city. I get some of you like the yoke but after several months, I still don't like it. So time to either dump the car or replace the wheel. So I chose the latter as I like almost everything else about the car.

Reactions: Wol747