Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed the Blackvue 650 in the new 2016 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: vtvox
I know there are quite a few video/photo tutorials on installing the Blackvue DR650GW and DR650S dashcams here already however I happened upon the AutoInstruct website this morning and thought their photo tutorial (keep in mind the camera was installed on a VW MK7 Golf though and the car has a righthand steering wheel) was well done and worth sharing. For the Model S you do want to run the cables down the passenger side of the car (as opposed to what the Blackvue camera manual indicates).

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

Ok.. so now that i have my car, im not sure where to get my blackvue installed.. Im in des moines iowa, and i dont see any blackvue installers come up on google.
Im a pretty untrusting person with car stereos.. Ive had too many screwed up..
What would one recommend i do?
thanks

Ok.. so now that i have my car, im not sure where to get my blackvue installed.. Im in des moines iowa, and i dont see any blackvue installers come up on google.
Im a pretty untrusting person with car stereos.. Ive had too many screwed up..
What would one recommend i do?
thanks
Install it yourself. I am the same way as you. I had so many negative car audio installs and I just started to do things myself. No one will take as much care as you will.

So i think i can do the front just find, given your video... THe back one concerns me :)
The front one is a piece of cake. Give that a try and see how comfortable you are. You can always tackle the back one later.

You have three options on the back one. Running the wire is easy. The final part is the complicated part.

First option: Cut the tip and make a new one (like I did). This is a complicated step. I had someone do it for me since I didnt have the right tool for it. If you are not familiar with electronics and soldering, do not attempt it.

Second option is to drill a little hole that will be hidden behind the plastic panel. This will allow you to run the wire towards the center.

Third option is to just let the wire hang out. Its not that much of an eye sore. This is what many others have done

The front one is a piece of cake. Give that a try and see how comfortable you are. You can always tackle the back one later.

You have three options on the back one. Running the wire is easy. The final part is the complicated part.

First option: Cut the tip and make a new one (like I did). This is a complicated step. I had someone do it for me since I didnt have the right tool for it. If you are not familiar with electronics and soldering, do not attempt it.

Second option is to drill a little hole that will be hidden behind the plastic panel. This will allow you to run the wire towards the center.

Third option is to just let the wire hang out. Its not that much of an eye sore. This is what many others have done

There is a fourth option for the rear cable where you keep the current connector tip (no cutting or soldering), but you run it towards the taillights inside of the hatchback (inside the aluminum frame) and back up (between the frame and the plastic trim). There is plenty of room for the connector tip and more than enough slack in the cable. You just need something semi-flexible to feed it down and back up (I used a 3-ft long unused zip tie I had laying around) like a glow rod.

I didn't want to drill any holes or cut the cable, so I tried the "short cut" method of going direct from the right-side "jump" straight to the top center of the window, but could not get the connector to fit through the openings in the aluminum. After an hour, I changed strategy and went for the "down and back" option, which I learned about here on the forum.

I will be in Des Moines for a family event in June. With enough advanced notice, I could carve out some time and help you with the back camera option, if you want, but with the right tools/items and some patience, I think you can do it yourself.

Good luck!

There is a fourth option for the rear cable where you keep the current connector tip (no cutting or soldering), but you run it towards the taillights inside of the hatchback (inside the aluminum frame) and back up (between the frame and the plastic trim). There is plenty of room for the connector tip and more than enough slack in the cable. You just need something semi-flexible to feed it down and back up (I used a 3-ft long unused zip tie I had laying around) like a glow rod.
This is how we installed one last summer. It did take some time but didn't require any drilling. We'll be installing two more this weekend and will probably go this route again.

Reactions: Chaz
I disagree on Sandisk, we use hundreds of them for our 4k videos and have never had a failure or a problem. Just my opinion. :)
Nothing to do with Sandisk. They make great memory. Just doesnt work right with blackvue. Blackvue even states not to use the brand .

A reddit thread I found stated
"The issue with sandisk sd cards stems from a proprietary write controller that doesn't correctly delete the old files to allow the card to be written over... Since a dashcam in loop recording is always writing over old files sandisk cards may work fine for a few weeks even a few months depending on driving but eventually the card doesn't over write the files and then someone has an accident or sees something they want to share and the footage is all old and no new."

Sandisk probably fixed this in their high endurance cards but I cant be sure about it

I didn't want to drill any holes or cut the cable, so I tried the "short cut" method of going direct from the right-side "jump" straight to the top center of the window, but could not get the connector to fit through the openings in the aluminum. After an hour, I changed strategy and went for the "down and back" option, which I learned about here on the forum.

I will be in Des Moines for a family event in June. With enough advanced notice, I could carve out some time and help you with the back camera option, if you want, but with the right tools/items and some patience, I think you can do it yourself.

Good luck!
Dang it I should have came back and read this before I did my install. I ended up cutting the tip now waiting for the new piece to come in hoping I can solder that back on.

I ended up ordering some parts to make the connection for the front left connection... Ive set up the front camera to the cig lighter for now (works great) so i can at least have it when i drive.

So does anyone have any idea how much it draws in park mode at night in your garage for 10 hours? i would imagine its fairly low, yeah?

Good luck!
Fifth option, no cutting the cable, just posted with pictures :Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable?