Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone joined a utility program using fleetcarma's OBD2 device?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the program length varies based on what kind of deal the individual utility made with FleetCarma. There are a bunch of folks in BC who have used their service, so maybe one of them can shed some light for you.

I have a unit on our Smart that's been running for several years, but it is grandfathered in from on old Toronto Hydro pilot program.

With a Tesla you'd likely need an adapter for the standard dongle.

I think this is the only incentive offered by Alectra right now.
"By installing the FleetCarma device within three days of its delivery, you will receive a $50 gift card emailed to you!"

I don't this is justified given the large amount of private data being captured. Here is an example (advance to ~ 2:10):

I thought Teslas dont have an obd2 port? Even with an adaptor, would the communication protocol work?
Yes there are third party adapters/cables.

I've just ordered a couple to get more stats through the scan my Tesla app (especially battery related ones, you can get total kwh of battery which should give an idea of degradation, also can see current max Regen level, I believe max is 85kw and 110kw in track mode).

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
Yes there are third party adapters/cables.

I've just ordered a couple to get more stats through the scan my Tesla app (especially battery related ones, you can get total kwh of battery which should give an idea of degradation, also can see current max Regen level, I believe max is 85kw and 110kw in track mode).
Let me know how it works. I have an obd2 Bluetooth module I used to use with my volt. I miss the extra info. How much was the cable adapter?

Let me know how it works. I have an obd2 Bluetooth module I used to use with my volt. I miss the extra info. How much was the cable adapter?

I got 2 different ones just in case one doesn't work the geotab one is cheap $35 us plus shipping but supposedly only works on pre 2019 model 3s. The other one is 75 euros but you have to mention you have a pre 2019 car since they default to the post 2019 version (but they have versions for both).

In both cases you need an obd2 adapter that supports can bus fully so some cheap ones don't work. The expensive cable comes with a compatible adapter for an extra 20 euros and that bundle comes with a free copy of scan my Tesla a $12 value.

Hi pcons. I tried the geotab cable with the MX+ Bluetooth adapter. It works and shows me my nominal full pack is 72.1kwh which points to some level of degradation, though I don't know the original factory fresh level, I do know that Tesla Bjorn was getting 74kwh and then 73.5kwh.

It's nice to see the total AC and DC charges and also the regeneration total. Mine is almost 20% at 1994kwh total Regen if that stat is accurate.

Also shows battery temperature etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pcons
Hi pcons. I tried the geotab cable with the MX+ Bluetooth adapter. It works and shows me my nominal full pack is 72.1kwh which points to some level of degradation, though I don't know the original factory fresh level, I do know that Tesla Bjorn was getting 74kwh and then 73.5kwh.

It's nice to see the total AC and DC charges and also the regeneration total. Mine is almost 20% at 1994kwh total Regen if that stat is accurate.

Also shows battery temperature etc.
Good to know. Any interest to meet up for a coffee and scan my car for a second data point? Would give me a chance to see if its worth the hardware investment. I'll buy the coffee :)