Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone made the trip from Farmington, NM to ABQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering if anyone has made the trip from Farmington, NM to Albuquerque via 64 to 550 to I-25? I have to make this trip in a few weeks and I’m wondering if I can do it in my 75X. It looks to be about 180 miles so I’m wondering about the elevation change and any other factors that would affect my range on this route. My other option would be to take 371 to Grants, use the Chademo at the Electrify America charge stop and then the rest of the way on 40. Any thoughts?

I’m wondering if anyone has made the trip from Farmington, NM to Albuquerque via 64 to 550 to I-25? I have to make this trip in a few weeks and I’m wondering if I can do it in my 75X. It looks to be about 180 miles so I’m wondering about the elevation change and any other factors that would affect my range on this route. My other option would be to take 371 to Grants, use the Chademo at the Electrify America charge stop and then the rest of the way on 40. Any thoughts?

www.evtripplanner.com

It will show you KWh used as well as actual miles

What’s the elevation change like? Is it more downhill than uphill, the opposite or fairly even?
It's a pretty steady rise up 1500 feet or so, then back down to close to the same elevation.

There are many ways to get an idea of elevation change, but my quick and dirty way is to do the routing in Google Maps, then tell it you are bicycling. You will get a graphical representation of the trip IF it takes about the same route (the bike algorithm doesn't like Interstates much). But you get a pretty good idea usually.

Reactions: MarkoC
So nobody has done this trip?
I've done it in an S90D and made it pretty easily. But that has basically no bearing on your ability to make the trip in a X75. As already mentioned, using EVTripPlanner is a good idea.

Also, you don't have to wonder about the elevations. They are easily found over at supercharge.info:

Farmington supercharger- 5489 ft
Albuquerque supercharger- 5112 ft

So elevation change won't be much of a factor here, although it would be a slightly tougher trip to make in the opposite direction. I would start the trip driving slowly and lower your suspension, but I would think you will make it pretty easily in summer as long as there isn't a heavy downpour or strong headwinds (unlikely).

I've done this route twice in each direction in my S-60 with 12-15% battery degradation (currently 176 RM at 100%). I can't hold the speed limit but can make it if I am careful. Most of the route is two lanes each direction, so keeping to the right if you need to slow down a bit works fine. As always, if your reported battery percentage at the destination is dropping, slow down a bit right away until it stabilizes, rather than have to drive really slowly the last few miles.

The entire 182 mile route is at high altitude (5000 to 7300 feet) so that helps a lot with the range (lower drag than nav calculates, a bonus). I charge to 98% and drive down to 3-5%. If I can do it in my degraded S-60 it ought to be quite easy in a 75X, barring unfavorable weather.

My hope is that Tesla will put in the "coming soon" Supercharger Station at Grants NM so I can take the longer but easier route. Going via Gallup isn't really a practical option — I'd rather just drive slowly on US 550.

Albuquerque to Farmington-profile.png

Last edited:
A Better Route Planner is suggesting that you'll need to go 56 MPH maximum in order to get there with 6%. That is not accounting for any head wind or weather, both of which could force you to go even slower. You'd need to go 50 MPH to arrive with 10%.

A Better Routeplanner

Load the link above and click on the route line to see the elevation and anticipated energy usage for the route.

Last edited:
My guess is that A better route planner does not take density altitude into consideration and gives overly conservative results. In my experience the route is right around par — the EPA efficiency in Wh/mile times miles distance — at the speed limit. My car is EPA rated at 300 Wh/mile and I don't know what an X-75 is, perhaps 20% higher?

Regardless, when charging at Farmington, Tesla navigation will be a bit conservative due to altitude. If nav says one can make it, the route should be pretty straightforward, barring a strong headwind or something like that (in an easterly direction, a tailwind is more likely). If nav suggests it won't work, the I-40 route can be tried, although just driving US 550 at 60 mph ought to be enough.

If the OP is used to driving with a 20% or higher buffer then that might not be comfortable. In that case I would suggest the significantly longer route through Gallup Supercharger Station. Personally, I choose to drive a bit more slowly and take the direct route. FWIW.

My take is somewhere between ABRP's and dgp's. What dgp is describing is basically professional level EV driving. Mere mortals are not capable of such feats!

FWIW, I agree with dgp about this being a good road to drive slowly on. It is not an interstate, it is not well-traveled, and there are 2 lanes in each directions, so driving 50mph or even 40mph in the right lane should not be a big issue. That being said, if a semi with passes you going 55mph, it would be a good time to set the following distance to 1 and start drafting!

My take is somewhere between ABRP's and dgp's. What dgp is describing is basically professional level EV driving. Mere mortals are not capable of such feats!

FWIW, I agree with dgp about this being a good road to drive slowly on. It is not an interstate, it is not well-traveled, and there are 2 lanes in each directions, so driving 50mph or even 40mph in the right lane should not be a big issue. That being said, if a semi with passes you going 55mph, it would be a good time to set the following distance to 1 and start drafting!
Ok, I give up! I've done this route twice in each direction, most recently Thanksgiving weekend last November, in a severely degraded S-60, so I figured it would be easy in an X-75. I just don't know how much less efficient an X is compared to an old RWD S. What most people don't realize is that one gets a significant efficiency "bonus" when driving at high altitude, due to reduced aerodynamic drag -- I've been living and driving at high altitude most of my life.

Nevertheless, Tesla drivers have different thresholds for range anxiety. Case in point: another driver just did Tioga Pass in California in an S-85 and charged to 99% despite Nav telling him he would arrive with 40%. He made it with 39% despite missing a turn and having to double back: Tioga Pass - Model S 85 -- Is it doable??
That route is so easy I could have done it in my 15% degraded S-60 without a second thought.

So, different people have different comfort levels and I can't speak to that of the OP here. Barring unfavorable weather, I would suggest trusting Nav's range estimate and going with that. Or choosing "Plan B" and going the long way via I-40.

Ok, I give up! I've done this route twice in each direction, most recently Thanksgiving weekend last November, in a severely degraded S-60, so I figured it would be easy in an X-75. I just don't know how much less efficient an X is compared to an old RWD S. What most people don't realize is that one gets a significant efficiency "bonus" when driving at high altitude, due to reduced aerodynamic drag -- I've been living and driving at high altitude most of my life.

Nevertheless, Tesla drivers have different thresholds for range anxiety. Case in point: another driver just did Tioga Pass in California in an S-85 and charged to 99% despite Nav telling him he would arrive with 40%. He made it with 39% despite missing a turn and having to double back: Tioga Pass - Model S 85 -- Is it doable??
That route is so easy I could have done it in my 15% degraded S-60 without a second thought.

So, different people have different comfort levels and I can't speak to that of the OP here. Barring unfavorable weather, I would suggest trusting Nav's range estimate and going with that. Or choosing "Plan B" and going the long way via I-40.

ABRP says an X75D is 386 Wh/mile at 65 MPH, which is pretty close, in my experience.

I don't get it. What are you giving up on?

I don't get it. What are you giving up on?
The idea that this easy 182 mile route can be done in a large battery (by my standards) X without "professional" grade hypermiling.

If the OP isn't comfortable with a buffer of less than 20% or driving at less than the speed limit if needed, as is the case with some drivers, this route would be impractical. Personal choice I guess. I'll be curious to see what he decided to do.

So far as alternate routes is concerned, I think the longer route through Gallup is simpler than fussing with alternative charging in Grants. A personal preference. I do wish that Tesla would build that proposed Supercharger Station in Grants (and Kayenta!) rather than another fifty in California and the East Coast, but that's not likely.

The idea that this easy 182 mile route can be done in a large battery (by my standards) X without "professional" grade hypermiling.

If the OP isn't comfortable with a buffer of less than 20% or driving at less than the speed limit if needed, as is the case with some drivers, this route would be impractical. Personal choice I guess. I'll be curious to see what he decided to do.

So far as alternate routes is concerned, I think the longer route through Gallup is simpler than fussing with alternative charging in Grants. A personal preference. I do wish that Tesla would build that proposed Supercharger Station in Grants (and Kayenta!) rather than another fifty in California and the East Coast, but that's not likely.
I’m generally comfortable with a 10% buffer, and I’ve found the nav to be pretty accurate if not a touch on the conservative side so I’ll see what it says when I’m charging in Farmington. Thanks all for the responses!

I definitely think it can be done and I attempt (and nearly always succeed) aggressive routes like you do all the time in my Model S. But the hero trip you are describing going 182 miles in a Tesla with only 176 Rated Miles on a full charge is not something the typical Tesla owner can tackle, so I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that it is an easy trip in an X75 just because you were able to do it in your degraded S60.