Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone made the trip from Farmington, NM to ABQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I finally did this trip yesterday and it ended up going surprisingly smoothly. I charged to 100% in Farmington and initially the nav said I would make it with 11%. Shortly after I left it was down to 8% so I started getting a touch nervous. Fortunately I found a truck going 70 mph to draft behind in the early part of the trip and pretty quickly it was up to 21%. Eventually when I was really comfortable I took off on my own and pretty much drove 75 mph the rest of the way. I rolled in with 18% left and my Wh/mile for the 181 mile trip was an impressive 292, which for my car is incredible. Nothing to worry about!

Reactions: PLUS EV
Well I finally did this trip yesterday and it ended up going surprisingly smoothly. I charged to 100% in Farmington and initially the nav said I would make it with 11%. Shortly after I left it was down to 8% so I started getting a touch nervous. Fortunately I found a truck going 70 mph to draft behind in the early part of the trip and pretty quickly it was up to 21%. Eventually when I was really comfortable I took off on my own and pretty much drove 75 mph the rest of the way. I rolled in with 18% left and my Wh/mile for the 181 mile trip was an impressive 292, which for my car is incredible. Nothing to worry about!
Yes, drafting is amazing when you find a truck going the right speed that doesn't mind. In my experience, it is better to draft a semi at 70mph than to go 55mph without drafting, both in terms of time saved (obviously) and even in terms of efficiency (Wh/mi).

Reactions: MarkoC
We have done this trip twice, once west bound to Farmington in a Model S 70D. We had a headwind and temperatures in the 50s. We did have to reduce our speed to 55. The second time was East bound in a Model X. Weather was warmer and no head wind. Plenty of charge left when we got to ABQ.