Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone measured to see if 17" wheels will fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK...so I'm a long time off from getting my Model 3 (reserved just before AP2 launch). I also realize that the trend is towards larger wheels and lower-profile tires, but I was wondering if anyone had measured to see if 17" wheels might fit on the 3.

I've seen pictures that show how a large steering or suspension component gets in the way on the S to prevent going from 19 to 18, but pics I've seen of the 3 doesn't appear to have that same obstruction that would prevent going from 18 to 17. But I also don't know a thing about aftermarket wheels...And I know someone out there knows enough to explain the limitations to me.

Thanks!!

OK...so I'm a long time off from getting my Model 3 (reserved just before AP2 launch). I also realize that the trend is towards larger wheels and lower-profile tires, but I was wondering if anyone had measured to see if 17" wheels might fit on the 3.

I've seen pictures that show how a large steering or suspension component gets in the way on the S to prevent going from 19 to 18, but pics I've seen of the 3 doesn't appear to have that same obstruction that would prevent going from 18 to 17. But I also don't know a thing about aftermarket wheels...And I know someone out there knows enough to explain the limitations to me.

Thanks!!
Biggest issue most likely is brake caliper clearance. If 17" do really fit, I imagine it will be super tight and not much clearance.

Thanks for the info...I wasn't sure whether 18's was just a cosmetic choice on Tesla's part, or if they needed the space to meet their performance requirements (braking power, primarily, I guess).

I've read the commentary that the 3 has a stiff ride, and in one case someone mentioned that it was stiffer than a Leaf, which I currently drive, and find it a little harsh on some of the local roads around here I drive regularly. Once the honeymoon period wears off, will I dread taking the 3 to Home Depot, my bank, my gym, my favorite lunch spot (sadly, all along the same road...)

Was hoping that a smaller rim & taller sidewall might have helped some...don't like the idea of fiddling with the air pressure depending on where I'm driving that day.

Thanks for the info...I wasn't sure whether 18's was just a cosmetic choice on Tesla's part, or if they needed the space to meet their performance requirements (braking power, primarily, I guess).

I've read the commentary that the 3 has a stiff ride, and in one case someone mentioned that it was stiffer than a Leaf, which I currently drive, and find it a little harsh on some of the local roads around here I drive regularly. Once the honeymoon period wears off, will I dread taking the 3 to Home Depot, my bank, my gym, my favorite lunch spot (sadly, all along the same road...)

Was hoping that a smaller rim & taller sidewall might have helped some...don't like the idea of fiddling with the air pressure depending on where I'm driving that day.
Most of the complaints with the ride stem from tire pressures in my opinion. Even with the 18" tires, the pressures are really high, 45psi I believe. Even if went down to 17" tires but used the same pressures, probably won't make much difference in the ride.

Not sure why they are requiring such high pressures. I assume it is for the proper load rating, but doubt it still needs to be that high. 3 isn't that much heavier than other sedans and don't recall ever seeing tire pressures over 40psi.

Yeah...I can't find a picture of the tire label on the door frame from a model 3. I assume the higher pressure helps with range.

Doing a little educating of myself, it looks like the OE tires, which are XL rated could be lowered to 42 and still have maximum load carrying capacity. I don't really understand how much lower one can go without compromising safety...

But hey...I still have at least 6 months, if not longer, before I really have to worry about this...

I saw a car in the parking lot and pulled off the aero covers to measure for you.
Smallest point between front rim and caliper is about 13mm. Rear is about 8-9mm.
Most 17" wheels will have a problem on the rear. Fronts should be okay.

Exactly. The rear disc is larger than the front disc on the 3. Sounds backwards but the front caliper is a fixed 4 piston and the rear caliper is a floating single piston with an electromechanical parking brake attached to rear of it. Due to the caliper carrier on the rear and the square brake pad there is much less clearance than on the front.