Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone noticed little extra breeze from AC when passing 18 wheeler?

Ultron

Jul 5, 2019
Hattiesburg MS
At first I thought this was just a coincidence but I went on a several 100 mile interstate trip over the weekend and it happened repeatedly. But why? what's the connection between your AC, with windows up of course, and passing a 18 wheeler? Has anyone else ever noticed this and if so, what's causing it?

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
At first I thought this was just a coincidence but I went on a several 100 mile interstate trip over the weekend and it happened repeatedly. But why? what's the connection between your AC, with windows up of course, and passing a 18 wheeler? I can't think of any and wonder if maybe this is some kind of funny easter egg thing by the folks at Tesla. Has anyone else ever noticed this and if so, what's causing it?

Blow additional fresh, filtered air onto your face to avoid any potential outside dirty air from the truck? Totally random/kinda out there guess.

We know they have the truck detection net running and in use to hug the opposite side of a lane away from trucks, so it's not crazy to think they could apply that same logic to other things.

ZOMGVTEK

May 19, 2015
'Merica
Presumably it’s just the increased pressure differential is effectively causing the blower to perform better temporarily. I can’t say I noticed that in other cars, but it’s reasonable to suspect it could occur in some situations when the cabin air isn’t fully recirculating.

Reactions: mswlogo and TKOGUY

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
We know they have the truck detection net running and in use to hug the opposite side of a lane away from trucks, so it's not crazy to think they could apply that same logic to other things.
Is this really a thing? I’ve never seen my Model 3 shy away from trucks while on autopilot.

Occar

Jun 20, 2019
TN
Anything that raises pressure where the intake is will of course cause a bit more air to blow. If you take it through a car wash, when the dryer is on, if they cause extra air pressure in the correct place (not sure where the intake is) the vents blast you with air. I just had that happen this last weekend.

Petrlol

Oct 16, 2018
Ohio
correct place (not sure where the intake is)

Open the frunk, remove the large plastic shroud that spans the top near the windshield. The intake is on the left hand side. Probably a good idea to shine a flashlight down in the intake and make sure you didn't pick up any leaves on the intake screen during fall.

lolder

Jun 11, 2016
SW Florida
A recent update has the car move away from large vehicles who are passing/being passed and this movement can be felt. The airflow from the vents has inertia so it doesn't move and their relative direction is slightly changed. This effect can also be noticed when turning corners.

Occar

Jun 20, 2019
TN
Open the frunk, remove the large plastic shroud that spans the top near the windshield. The intake is on the left hand side. Probably a good idea to shine a flashlight down in the intake and make sure you didn't pick up any leaves on the intake screen during fall.

So sounds like anything that causes more air pressure under the car will cause the vents to blow more then. That makes sense as when it happened for me was when the dryer air streams hadn't actually made it to the car yet and were probably directed under it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC