Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone obtained a Powerwall 2 installation quote yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know someone in California who this month was quoted $5,500 for a Powerwall 2 plus $1,000 installation, this was as part of a solar system quote from SolarCity.

So Powerwall 2 pricing is "out". :)

Hasn't it been "out" for some time now?

The $5,500 price has been right there on the PW2 page since the announcement: Tesla Powerwall

Although PW2 installation has been an unknown.

I have a recent quote from Natural Solar for a 3kwp system with the powerwall 2 starting at $16,670. This includes a introductory discount of $2990 if you are included in the first shipment of power walls for 2017. The price isn't broken down though it includes the government rebate on the system.

Yeah, well USD5500 is going to mean $7000 plus shipping, marine insurance and transport within Australia. My guess? Around $10000. Plus fitting! You REALLY need a large excess of production over consumption to justify it and bear in mind the payback time. One unit at approx .20c (from Powershop) in Sydney means about $6 a day. Saved using the battery. $10000\6 = just over 4.5 years. You will be ahead after that.

I put in solar with the .60 rebate. That was the only thing that made it justifiable. My 6 kw system is basically paid off in consequence. Unless both panels and batteries come down drastically in price, it can't really be justified to put in a new system now, unless your supply is relatively unreliable like in SA, or in the bush. There what you are doing is not saving money but guaranteeing an electricity supply. Different ball game.

Last edited:
I have a recent quote from Natural Solar for a 3kwp system with the powerwall 2 starting at $16,670. This includes a introductory discount of $2990 if you are included in the first shipment of power walls for 2017. The price isn't broken down though it includes the government rebate on the system.
3 kwp means you are going to self consume your entire production, so what is the point of adding a battery? If you could put in say 10kwp using higher capacity panels from lg or sunpower, then you may be on to something with an added battery.

If you intend to dedicate your entire production as fuel for the Tesla, that may well work.

All true, but if the price of a unit rises the game changes and I wouldn't mind betting that in Qld where power retailers seem to be intent on running themselves out of business it might be a "go-er" quite soon. Price of powerwall 2 will drop as the competition hots up too. I'd be waiting a year to see what pops up.

T11 : 25 cents
T31 : 14 cents
T33 : 22 cents

The "off peak", "super economy" is particularly daylight (or night time theft).

However, I temporize this with the fact that I have a 50 cent FiT until 2028 and so the government and supplier pay all my bills and leave some in the bank as well.

If I were not as well placed then I would be thinking about storage. I have until 2028 to think about it. The market will change by then (I hope).

Ah. I see. Yes those prices are high. My figure is an average worked out by powershop combining all 3 tiers and charged irrespective of time of use. Actually it averages out just a bit less than .20, maybe .18-.19c, but easier to think in round numbers. Therefore someone else with different use pattern would have a different unit price with them.
We no longer have a FIT at all in NSW, they pay between .6 and .8 per unit, a total joke.

Yeah, well USD5500 is going to mean $7000 plus shipping, marine insurance and transport within Australia. My guess? Around $10000. Plus fitting! You REALLY need a large excess of production over consumption to justify it and bear in mind the payback time. One unit at approx .20c (from Powershop) in Sydney means about $6 a day. Saved using the battery. $10000\6 = just over 4.5 years. You will be ahead after that.

I put in solar with the .60 rebate. That was the only thing that made it justifiable. My 6 kw system is basically paid off in consequence. Unless both panels and batteries come down drastically in price, it can't really be justified to put in a new system now, unless your supply is relatively unreliable like in SA, or in the bush. There what you are doing is not saving money but guaranteeing an electricity supply. Different ball game.

"There what you are doing is guaranteeing an electricity supply" that's at the forefront of many householders thinking, blackouts in SA have been reported extensively, it's not uncommon in other states due to storms, bush fires and this week in Western Australia caused by a build up of dust on pole top insulators, widespread blackouts, 35,000 homes without power, 5000 homes still without power after 3 days, unacceptable when this problem has occured on a number of previous occasions, paying for battery storage is well worth the effort for a lot of householders that already have solar panels and only get 8 cents FIT.
If 10% of homeowners could make Powerwall justifiable then Powerwall 2 takes it up a few notches, maybe 30%, the limited number of accredited suppliers in Australia know this, supply and demand is in their favour.
Powerwall 2 is promoted on Tesla Australian site as $8000 plus installation, I'm not saying that's the final price, every home is different, I contacted the 4 accredited suppliers and requested quotes, keeping in mind all 4 are heavily promoting Powerwall 2 in WA, 2 have replied by phone and email with similar prices, one is reluctant to give a quote until they get a more reliable time of availability, the 4th supplier has been contacted twice, after long phone discussions it appears they're only interested in supplying Powerwall 2 as a complete package including new solar panels of their choice, I suppose when supply is limited and demand is high they can value add as much as possible.

3 kwp means you are going to self consume your entire production, so what is the point of adding a battery? If you could put in say 10kwp using higher capacity panels from lg or sunpower, then you may be on to something with an added battery.

If you intend to dedicate your entire production as fuel for the Tesla, that may well work.

The 3kwp was just their starting price they sent on the quote, yes you'd definitely want a larger system to utilise the battery

We're putting roof sprinklers on our (rural) house for some bushfire protection. A reliable bushfire friendly generator will cost around $4-5k so a Powerwall2 looks very reasonable. Currently have a 4.5kW system but probably go to around 6kW with the panels. Just a word of warning if you have a pre-existing system: if you move your existing inverter it is then seen as a new system, if your inverter is no longer compliant with new regulations (even though its legal to keep using it) you won't be able to get a compliance certificate and so won't be eligible for the pittance of a feed-in tariff unless you buy a new compliant inverter!

Up here in Qld., the Energex and Ergon mobs will "allow" us to replace an existing inverter with the equivalent, not larger. 5kW is the limit no matter what if you're selling back to the network, but most inverters can be over-rated with (say) a 6.5 kW array to increase daily yields. This works well and is now cheap to do with the decline in panel prices.