Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ordered Homelink for service center installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, it's REALLY an odd business model... "Dear Beloved Customer; you can't include Homelink on your factory order, nor can you order it separately and have the SC install it for you before M3 delivery. The only solution is for you (and your sorry @$$) to come back to the SC a couple of weeks later to have one of our SC stooges tear your brand new car apart and hold it for a day." :mad: Okay, GREAT - Sign me up for that!

At least they gave me a loaner, but they did chip the paint on my fender (that's why I said, "STOOGE," earlier)! Rather than bringing it back to SC (risking more damage), I took care of it myself with the $80 paint kit Tesla sold me....:rolleyes:
So very much this.

When they stopped adding it as standard equipment, Tesla should've just added it as an option that could be factory installed during the assembly of your car... put it on the menu as an option you can select right after you've selected your interior color scheme.

The current system is stupid. It adds more stress and strain to an already overloaded SC system.

So a friend of mine works for Tesla delivery. He says there are times where front bumpers get damaged during shipping and they simply will take the bumper off another car to swap to ensure a customers delivery is not postponed. He does it with the car on the ground and it literally takes 10 minutes to remove the bumper. Very easy.

I mention how easy it is because I ordered a used Homelink module from Ebay for 150 shipped. I'm installing it myself (just one bolt holds it on) and have an appointment Monday to program it. My Tesla service guy says that will cost around $20 and is very fast.

Basically, if you are competent at using tools and want to save at least $100, then just buy a used module and have tesla program it. I've seen them sell closer to 125 but I spent a little extra for faster shipping and it came with the plastic bracket along with the one mounting bolt.
are there any videos or directions for installation?

I just had mine installed at my work today. The other posts here are correct, don't wait for the service center to call you. I paid for mine online and then a few days later just scheduled service on my app. They came to me today and had it done in 40 minutes. Who knows how long I would have waited for the service center to call me.