Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ordered the “Full self-driving” option and took delivery yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive been searching the forums and I can’t really find any info on this. I purchased the Ehanced Autopilot package for $5,000 and then the $3,000 Full self driving add-on, which says it doubles the cameras and sensors. I know this option won’t be used anytime soon but has anyone else ordered this? I am curious!

Ive been searching the forums and I can’t really find any info on this. I purchased the Ehanced Autopilot package for $5,000 and then the $3,000 Full self driving add-on, which says it doubles the cameras and sensors. I know this option won’t be used anytime soon but has anyone else ordered this? I am curious!
Every car is equipped with the cameras and sensors. It is the software that will allow you to get the full self driving capabilities which cost $3k. That does not exist yet, we don't know when that software will come out. It could take a couple of years. It does not make sense to spend the $3k on the Full self driving add-on now until the software allows the car to self drive in my opinion. You can always add that on at a later date.

Every car is equipped with the cameras and sensors. It is the software that will allow you to get the full self driving capabilities which cost $3k. That does not exist yet, we don't know when that software will come out. It could take a couple of years. It does not make sense to spend the $3k on the Full self driving add-on now until the software allows the car to self drive in my opinion. You can always add that on at a later date.

So with the “Enhanced Autopilot” it says it upgrades from one camera to 4 cameras and the next one says 8 cameras.

So each new car has 8 cameras regardless if you pay for them to be activated or not? Very confusing.

So with the “Enhanced Autopilot” it says it upgrades from one camera to 4 cameras and the next one says 8 cameras.

So each new car has 8 cameras regardless if you pay for them to be activated or not? Very confusing.
Yes, that is correct. As long as you have Autopilot 2.0 (which all new vehicles have), it will be equipped with 8 cameras. The enhanced autopilot is a software purchase and can be used now, a lot people including myself have it. There is currently no software for the Full Self Driving. You can purchase it now but can't use it.

Last edited:
We took delivery almost 11 months ago and paid for FSD. Now that I know what I know, I wish I had not and saved the money until it is ready to use. Even if we had to pay extra for it I think it would have been better. Anyway, what is done is done. I am not expecting it any time soon, as even EAP is still not up to the promised standard.

But back to the OP question, we did pay for FSD at purchase.

When the Model 3 D is available to configure we will order that one with EAP but not FSD.

Yea, I probably should have done more research before ordering, but there is so much to know/learn about these vehicles and without a dealer close its even harder.

I wonder if I cancelled that part and just paid the $500 change fee and saved $2,500. Idk

I paid for EAP and I paid for FSD. I would do that again. I would do it again for several reasons...

I believe in the mission and I'm happy to support it.

I bought a lot of Tesla stock at $17 and, at the time of purchase, I had enough to buy my Model X in cash. But instead I financed it for 6 years at 1.99% and left the money in the stock. If FSD comes out after 3 years, I will have paid about $1,500 for it by that point. If YOU want to pay cash then, you will have to pay full price (unless you go borrow the money elsewhere I supposed.) In the meanwhile, most of my money has been invested, not paid. If it comes out, much of my money will remain invested until each payment comes due.

If the price of FSD goes up -- and I think it will -- my price is locked in.

We purchased EAP & FSD with our S 100D a year ago.

We plan to purchase EAP & FSD with our Model 3 (as soon as the white interior is available).

Purchasing EAP has less risk today, because Tesla has made considerably progress with the AP software over the past year, and EAP is in the ballpark of AP1 capabilities, and is more likely to achieve the EAP goals in the next year.

FSD is higher risk. Because Tesla may never get AP working well enough to get approval for FSD. And if that does happen, it is likely to be several years from now. So, it makes sense for owners to defer purchasing FSD - and wait until FSD has actually been implemented, and then activate it at whatever price Tesla will charge then to turn on the feature.

A couple of factors to consider:
  • Even before FSD is approved for self driving, Tesla intends to utilize all 8 cameras for AP. Musk has mentioned this should happen later this year, after they do the cross-country FSD demonstration test. This means that within the next year, AP should be able to operate under more conditions than EAP, in a "driver assist" mode - which should start providing value in purchasing the FSD option, even if the car can't drive itself.
  • Until Tesla get FSD operating, there remains the possibility the current hardware won't be sufficient to achieve FSD. While Tesla hasn't made any official statements on this, owners are assuming that if you purchase FSD and a hardware upgrade is needed, Tesla will provide those upgrades for free. If you haven't purchased FSD, there's a possibility the activation fee could be increased, to cover the additional hardware upgrades (such as a processor replacement).
For us, the additional $3K to purchase FSD, was a reasonable risk. Of course, it's a smaller percentage risk on a $100+K S 100D than it would be for lower priced Model 3...

Reactions: Saghost
Even before FSD is approved for self driving, Tesla intends to utilize all 8 cameras for AP. Musk has mentioned this should happen later this year, after they do the cross-country FSD demonstration test.

Do you have a source for this? Teslas current marketing material says EAP is only 4 cameras and FSD will be 8.

To the OP, I bought both EAP and FSD for my 3. I don’t expect to actually get full FSD, but I want access to the new FSD only features when they start releasing them.

Reactions: preilly44
I feel EAP is worth buying right now absolutely. I did when I ordered my car.

FSD is something that can be skipped since it’s not even available yet, and be bought later on. That money could be used for a clear bra for the front of the car or something with more utility at the moment.

Unfortunately, we don't have any official Tesla statements on what you actually get when purchasing EAP or FSD. The Purchase Agreement only lists that you've purchased those features - not what those features mean.

The website provides some documentation - but that content changes over time.

Musk will occasionally make comments about capabilities - which may or may not happen - and usually not as quickly as he hopes.

There have been unofficial comments (from Musk) that as Tesla makes progress on implementing the full self driving software (with all 8 cameras), that they will rollout some of those capabilities (in driver assist mode) to customers who've purchased FSD.

His latest statements indicate they could do the coast-to-coast FSD demonstration this summer - with FSD customers starting to get some of the software features (in driver assist mode) later this year.

As far as I know, Tesla hasn't made any official statements about this (i.e., something in writing, provided to customers). If anyone does have an official statement from Tesla on EAP or FSD - please post...

Reactions: Az_Rael
I paid for EAP and I paid for FSD. I would do that again. I would do it again for several reasons...

I believe in the mission and I'm happy to support it.

Exactly. Same here.

I've said it on TMC before, and I'll say it again: If there is a technology that you truly believe in, contribute to it on some way to make it happen. My programming skills are not good enough to contribute towards the technical creation of FSD, so I was happy to put $3k down on the cause. Some day it'll get enabled, and I'm willing to wait.

My long term vision on FSD is years from now when I'm ready to move onto my next Tesla, I'll turn my 3 over to the Tesla Network and let it go make its monthly payment for me.

I got EAP and FSD a year ago. Nothing says they can't release a beta FSD, or components of it, that still requires driver supervision to stay within government regulations. Pre-FSD features could include the car following the nav routing by itself, including turns at intersections, while still requiring your attention at the wheel. I don't think a full-blown FSD will just suddenly appear in a few years.

My X was delivered two months before the AP2 announcement, so I didn't get to choose. If I was ordering today, though, I'd buy FSD without hesitation - because it's something I really want for the car, and because I believe Tesla will deliver eventually. I wouldn't want them to see the lack of FSD orders and decide not to make it happen...

As it is, I'm waiting for freeway Level 3 to be released and approved for use in my area. When that happens , I'll find a way to upgrade to whichever car seems most suitable then with whatever the most recent hardware version is.

Reactions: jrad6515