Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone paid the 7k FSD upgrade post delivery?

Has anyone paid the 7k FSD upgrade post delivery?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I would if I had the cash

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title pretty much says it all. I picked up my 2019 SR last weekend and I had FSD removed to drop the price of the car down. After having it a few days, I realize how much I miss Summon for pulling my car in and out of my tight garage and changing lanes with AP 1.0 (from my 2015 85D I traded in). Obviously, getting FSD will give be auto lane changing, enhanced summon (I cant picture using that feature in a real world parking lot situation) and NoA (not going to really use that much). The idea of AP with city driving seems appealing if it ever gets released. I am considering paying it recognizing this car is never going to reach L5 Autonomy, yet alone the legalities getting worked out anytime soon.

I admit the price is crazy and overpriced. Not defending it but I’m sure many of you like me sometimes take the YOLO attitude and spend money on things you enjoy and make you feel good even if its not the most wisest financial decision.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
First, read what current FSD description says, nothing about L5 autonomy (that was the old, pre-2019, FSD), so of course you should not expect L5 autonomy from FSD purchased today - just assume FSD is just 3 random letters or "fake self driving" if that makes you feel better. Now, the situation you're in that you want the simple summon but it's packaged with FSD is not new, I bought a $3,000 premium package on one of my Teslas purely for winter package (previously $900), many people paid $5K for EAP only wanting TACC, some paid for premium just to get a power lifgate too, etc, etc. Welcome to feature bundling - a marketing tool to extract more money from customers. Tesla is definitely not the only car manufacturer who does that.

First, read what current FSD description says, nothing about L5 autonomy (that was the old, pre-2019, FSD), so of course you should not expect L5 autonomy from FSD purchased today - just assume FSD is just 3 random letters or "fake self driving" if that makes you feel better. Now, the situation you're in that you want the simple summon but it's packaged with FSD is not new, I bought a $3,000 premium package on one of my Teslas purely for winter package (previously $900), many people paid for EAP only wanting TACC, some paid for premium just to get a power lifgate too, etc, etc. Welcome to feature bundling - a marketing tool to extract more money from customers. Tesla is definitely not the only car manufacturer who does that.

Yup. The name FSD is very misleading and Enhanced AP is more appropriate but then how do they get the current EAP folks to upgrade? It’s marketing.

First, read what current FSD description says, nothing about L5 autonomy (that was the old, pre-2019, FSD), so of course you should not expect L5 autonomy from FSD purchased today - just assume FSD is just 3 random letters or "fake self driving" if that makes you feel better. Now, the situation you're in that you want the simple summon but it's packaged with FSD is not new, I bought a $3,000 premium package on one of my Teslas purely for winter package (previously $900), many people paid $5K for EAP only wanting TACC, some paid for premium just to get a power lifgate too, etc, etc. Welcome to feature bundling - a marketing tool to extract more money from customers. Tesla is definitely not the only car manufacturer who does that.

This is still listed on the Tesla website as full self drive capability. I personally think it's a wild stretch and I won't see it in the life of my current car. It's a great goal to have but at this point Tesla shouldn't be marketing it as such. 2016 buyers had this promise but I doubt those cars can achieve it with AP2.0 cameras.

"All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you."

Thanks. My 20 minute commute is 17 mins highway, so this helps a lot.

Here’s how I’d justify it. $4,000 for current (and future) features, including NoA, Smart Summon, and city street driving (assuming you’ll never get L5 with this car).

The other $3,000 is the entertainment/FOMO avoidance/being a part of the development year-by-year as it continues to improve and update. That’s the biggest pleasure I’ve had in 2 years owning this car is seeing the development and enjoying the new features as they come up.

I would argue it’s never worth $7k for just features alone (again, current and future), but if you WANT to see the progression and don’t want to have fear of missing out (you’re on the forms asking about it, so that’s sign one), I’d say pull the trigger!

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Here’s how I’d justify it. $4,000 for current (and future) features, including NoA, Smart Summon, and city street driving (assuming you’ll never get L5 with this car).

The other $3,000 is the entertainment/FOMO avoidance/being a part of the development year-by-year as it continues to improve and update. That’s the biggest pleasure I’ve had in 2 years owning this car is seeing the development and enjoying the new features as they come up.

I would argue it’s never worth $7k for just features alone (again, current and future), but if you WANT to see the progression and don’t want to have fear of missing out (you’re on the forms asking about it, so that’s sign one), I’d say pull the trigger!

You don't have to pay anything for the "entertainment" upgrades. Also, those of us with MCU1 get nothing.

Assuming an MCU upgrade is made available, it will be separate from the "FSD" upgrade.

I too, have my 2017 MOdel S essentially drive me to work daily. But I dont have FSD, just the Enhanced Auto Pilot. Has Smart Summon, Navigate on Auto Pilot, auto lane change, and I think it has the self parking? Havent even bothered to try that yet. My app shows that I can spend another $4k to get FSD, but it then lists all of the features..that I just listed..above. So spending anymore for "FSD"? Yeah, thats' gonna be a no for me, dawg. (c)Randy

Reactions: Cheburashka
You don't have to pay anything for the "entertainment" upgrades. Also, those of us with MCU1 get nothing.

Assuming an MCU upgrade is made available, it will be separate from the "FSD" upgrade.

I have a February 2018 Build MCU1/AP 2.5. The “entertainment” is not YouTube and games, it’s the thrill of seeing technology evolve before my eyes. Autopilot has made tremendous strides since I’ve owned the car, and I love being able to be a part of it.

I too, have my 2017 MOdel S essentially drive me to work daily. But I dont have FSD, just the Enhanced Auto Pilot. Has Smart Summon, Navigate on Auto Pilot, auto lane change, and I think it has the self parking? Havent even bothered to try that yet. My app shows that I can spend another $4k to get FSD, but it then lists all of the features..that I just listed..above. So spending anymore for "FSD"? Yeah, thats' gonna be a no for me, dawg. (c)Randy

If I were you, I would NOT buy FSD for 4k. EAP has everything available today - so your 4K purchase would be for the HW3 upgrade and city street driving (both when available)...probably not worth it for that much. Me, on the other hand, I thought it was worth 2k at the time when they had the fire sale - I have zero regrets.

For the OP, he’s in a different boat then all of us. He has 7k for everything or nothing. And for him, my recommendation stands.

$2k for FSD to me, seems like it was a GREAT deal at that time. I also would have paid $2k at that time for it. Heck, to be honest? If there is a sale later this year and it drops to $2k? Still knowing its a hope and a dream? I'd be tempted to pay the $2k. (But definitely not a penny more).

I wouldn't pay $7K for FSD. Standard AP already includes TACC and Autosteer. I have NoA but never use it and have only used Summon for demonstration purposes. Instead, take the $7K and invest it (maybe in Tesla stock, but price is at all-time high right now) or some index fund. Later, when your money grows then reconsider FSD when it really becomes fully-functional, or by that time take the extra money saved, sell your S, and upgrade to the latest Tesla of your choice.

On the flip side, you probably won't lose all $7k when you sell the car so you'll recoup some portion, thus making the $7k less than what it really is...but that's looking longterm and hoping you'll have enough FSD-goodness to enjoy. I still don't think it's worth it for the current feature set, but do what makes you happy and enjoy your new S!

Last edited:
Yup. The name FSD is very misleading and Enhanced AP is more appropriate but then how do they get the current EAP folks to upgrade? It’s marketing.
When finally introduced autopilot on the streets may do the trick. But I doubt it will be available any time soon, nor will I trust it to always stop at lights and signs. I would expect another sale to entice EAP owners. The last $2k sale snagged me! (But for anyone who expects the same smoking deal if they got AP included in base price, I wouldn’t count on it. Old timers paid big bucks for EAP as an add-on.)

Last edited:
$2k for FSD to me, seems like it was a GREAT deal at that time. I also would have paid $2k at that time for it. Heck, to be honest? If there is a sale later this year and it drops to $2k? Still knowing its a hope and a dream? I'd be tempted to pay the $2k. (But definitely not a penny more).
I'm still incredibly bummed that I didn't jump on the $2K deal. I was traveling at the time and meant to do it but it was gone by the time I got home (and nerfed as well).

When finally introduced autopilot on the streets may do the trick. But I doubt it will be available any time soon, nor will I trust it to always stop at lights and signs. I would expect another sale to entice EAP owners. The last $2k sale snagged me! (But for anyone who expects the same smoking deal if they got AP included in base price, I wouldn’t count on it. Old timers paid big bucks for EAP as an add-on.)
What old timers pay doesn't really affect Tesla pricing, for example see what people paid for a P90DL vs. P100DL since last year when it went down. If Elon decides he needs a cash infusion, he can have a sale at whatever price he feels will yield the cash he needs.

Sounds like this guy did... :eek:

E06C4E74-EEC3-4FBB-9956-436B29A81222.jpeg

What old timers pay doesn't really affect Tesla pricing, for example see what people paid for a P90DL vs. P100DL since last year when it went down. If Elon decides he needs a cash infusion, he can have a sale at whatever price he feels will yield the cash he needs.

I would love another “sale”, but with Tesla doing well these days, I don’t know if that’s happening. I know last time they dropped the price on FSD, there was a revolt and I believe Tesla apologized and said they wouldn’t do that again?