Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone posted updated 1/4 mile times since 5% update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI opened yesterday, and I headed out today, despite the cold temps and wind.

Conditions: ~36 degrees and a steady 15 mph headwind, gusting to about 20.

My car's software was just updated, but I never got the chance to run it before the update. Also, I'm still on my winter tires - Michelin Pilot Alpins in the OEM 235/35/20 size.

Made 10 passes in less than an hour :)

SOC for my first run was 92%.
SOC for my last run was 79%

First thing I'll comment on is that this car would be the ideal bracket racer - SO consistent and easy.

Second thing is that nobody beat me to the timing lights.

I ran next to a wide variety of cars, including multiple Dodge SRTs (no Hellcats - there was one running, but we just were never lined up together), a tuned Pontiac G8 that sounded AWESOME, a BMW 335xi, an E60 M5 AND an F10 M5 and an LS-something last-gen Camaro that turned out to be all bark and not much bite..

I had multiple thumbs-up from spectators and other drivers after many of my runs - I don't think anybody expected to see 11s out of this car, but that's what it ran, every pass.

Results:
None of the Dodges were close.

The G8 sounded typically "Murrican V-8 bombastic" and was clearly tuned and running drag radials. All for nought - drubbed him by about 1 second both times. Driver was cool though - after the first run we ended up lined up next to each other in the staging lanes and he rolled his window down and said "That was awesome! I had no idea the Model 3 was so fast! Have you done anything to it" When I replied that it was dead stock and on winter tires, he said - "Wow I might have to go get one of those!" :D

The E60 M5s burnouts and runs sounded absolutely epic - the V10 doing its patented wailing thing all the while. Regardless, with RWD and a 6-speed manual, he never stood a chance. (don't get me wrong - he still ran 12.5xxx, which is fantastic for that car, but he was never close to me)

The F10 M5 driver actually called me out, driving over to where I was parked between runs and shouting out his window: - "Let's go, Tesla! - I'm running about what you've been running, too - should be close!" In typical drag-racing fashion, the run proved that drivers are (mostly) liars. He ran a quicker ET than me, but he left a bit late, meaning I beat him by a bit over a tenth even though he was going 10 mph faster through the lights. Oddly, he didn't call me out again after that... ;)

So then - the $64,000 question - Wottdidsherun?!?!

Best was 11.756 @ 113.02 - not the 11.5 or 11.6 I was hoping for, but considering the conditions, not bad at all.
60 ft time on that run was 1.763, with the 1/8th mile at 7.449 @ 93.08 mph.
enhance

Looking at the timeslips that have been posted at Dragtimes.com, Fast Tesla Model-3s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

...my 60' is easily the quickest of those, and I ran quicker than 1.8 60 foot on 8 of the 10 runs, so the power seems to be there. Take away the headwind and I think it might run a high 11.5 to a mid 11.6, IMO.

Overall, I had a great time, and it was good to have multiple positive gestures and comments even at a classic American dragstrip.

Can't wait to get back there on a warmer day, without the headwind and on my new lighter summer wheels and OEM tires.

That is the strangest 1/4 mile slip I have ever seen. Only gained 2.5 mph in the second 1/8th? Top speed on that bucket looks to be about 70. WTF....

ECA32CCD-F084-47D0-989E-FC7BDEA50F1E.jpeg
I don’t have any “before” times, but I took my P3D to Sacramento Raceway Park for the first time tonight (car was on 8.3 software).

Best 60’: 1.788
Best ET: 11.704
Best MPH: 114.39

I started the night at 89% charge and ended the night at 81% charge after 4 runs. My first 3 runs were very similar and my last run was the slowest.

It was a blast! I should have entered the bracket (except I need to figure out how to keep from redlighting since the car reacts so quickly at launch).
Wow, very impressive times! What elevation was that at? Does the 1/4 mile run have any elevation changes? I just got 2019.12 yesterday and will be going out to the track again on Thursday.

Attachments

• C72373C9-184B-4CCF-8122-3740B969C003.jpeg
    C72373C9-184B-4CCF-8122-3740B969C003.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 109
Someone in the other forum ran 11.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile with posted timeslip.
Wow. Does he have any weight reduction?

Sooner or later somebody will be out there with 16" lightweight wheels, no seats, removed speakers, airbags, interior etc.etc. I bet a fully stripped P3D could break 10s.
View attachment 394895
Wow, very impressive times! What elevation was that at? Does the 1/4 mile run have any elevation changes? I just got 2019.12 yesterday and will be going out to the track again on Thursday.
Higher elevation may actually be better as the air would be less dense.

Reactions: is2scooby
It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla has installed some sort of speed limiter to keep the 3 from covering the 1/4 mile too quickly. Number of wheel revolutions in a certain amount of time. That wouldn't be good for corporate profits if the Model S P100D Ludicrous wasn't clearly the fastest Tesla.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla has installed some sort of speed limiter to keep the 3 from covering the 1/4 mile too quickly. Number of wheel revolutions in a certain amount of time. That wouldn't be good for corporate profits if the Model S P100D Ludicrous wasn't clearly the fastest Tesla.
Most seem to think that the P3D is pretty much topped out in terms of power output currently. I recall about 6 months ago people estimating that there was about 5% more available power which is what we just received.

We will know sooner or later once somebody is crazy enough to gut their 70k car!

View attachment 394895

Thank you. I was quite impressed, and it was fun to make a run there so quietly in my 3 compared to my previous trips down the 1/4 (C6 Z06 Corvette, C7 Z06 Corvette, etc.).

Sacramento Raceway Park is at 30' elevation, however while that's normally good for packing more air/fuel into an ICE I don't think it will be a benefit to EV's. I'm wondering if we'd actually run quicker at Bandimere in Colorado @ 5800' elevation. The air would be thinner so the car would slice through it more easily and the power would be the same as it was at sea level... /shrug

Reactions: Performance3D+

Higher elevation may actually be better as the air would be less dense.

Nocturnal, just read your post. Agreed! Would love to see someone in a Model 3 P at Bandimere run a R35 GTR. The 3 should run 11.7's like everywhere else and the R35's usually run low to mid-12's at that elevation. Heck, even modded Hellcats run 11.80's up there. That would be fun to see. :)

Wow. Does he have any weight reduction?

Sooner or later somebody will be out there with 16" lightweight wheels, no seats, removed speakers, airbags, interior etc.etc. I bet a fully stripped P3D could break 10s...

He doesn't have any weight reduction, but it's a Model 3 P- with stock 18" Aeros so he has that going for him. 11.5's are amazing out of this package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
Ran my best time yet (11.69) in only my second trip to the track. Ran an ‘18 z06 tonight that was a monster. Dude clocked an 11.1 but it took him til about the 8th to reel me in and go pass.
Think I’m going to give it a break for a bit but man is this fun.. I went 7-1 tonight and most runs stayed around 11.7x.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 69