TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has anyone purchased a spare UMC to keep in the car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by SuperCoug, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I have free 110 EV charging at my office (not very useful from a power perspective but it has a prime reserved parking space) so I assume that I'm going to quickly grow tired to unplugging my UMC in the garage every morning and will opt instead to buy an additional UMC to carry in the car. I believe I read somewhere that they were going to cost $400 which I guess is reasonable considering what you get but overkill for something dedicated to 110 volt charging. I wish they offered a less expensive lightweight 110 volt "travel charger" like the Roadster had.

Has anyone else purchased a second UMC for charging away from home? Is it indeed $400 and is it easy to order?

2. swegman

swegman Member

I seem to recall the UMC being about $560.00. Someone on this forum ordered a spare UMC.

• Like x 1
  3. dtich

dtich #P708

i ordered one weeks ago, still waiting to hear it's come in. i was quoted about $500, yes.

4. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Not exactly, but I got a wall charge station so that I could keep the UMC in my car.

5. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

Scouring the net trying to find one for less.

6. gene

gene Supporting Member

I've had my S for 4 years. Right away I bought a second UMC. I've used it from time to time, I keep it in the frunk at all times. Since I do a lot of multi-hundred mile days and even though Superchargers are aplenty, it still comes in handy.

• Like x 1
  7. Hrhkee

My goal for the second umc is to build a quick. Plugging/Disconnect solution for the car. I leave here sometimes like a firetruck and get home sometimes like a zombie. The wall mount seems nice but I want a portable solution. I know someone already built one.

Going to take a swing at building one.

• Love x 1
  8. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I bought a wall charger at home so I can keep the UMC in the car. Cost the same buying the wall charger and the UMC anyway.

9. tga

tga Supporting Member

Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

Both the UMC and 24' HPWC are $550. You'll spend almost that much building an OpenEVSE kit, and you'll lose the flexibility of the plug adapters and have to use the J1772 adapter all the time. If you buy a second J1772 adapter to leave on the OpenEVSE plug, you'll have spent more than $550.

I bought a factory sealed, new in box gen 2 HPWC on eBay for $450 shipped, so you might have luck there.

• Like x 1
  10. wesley888

wesley888 Member

You can also buy HPWC from members here for $300-$400 easily. One is for sale for $300 at this very moment.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've had a spare almost from the beginning (2013). It's stored in the car for travel and it's been used many times.

12. Hrhkee

Where.....

13. wesley888

wesley888 Member

14. timeslip

timeslip Member

I went with the wall charger, which I just upgraded to a 24' one. They didnt' have the 24' in stock, and bought the 8' one a few days ago.

I have a 8' wall charger for sale, if anyone in Bay Area, CA is interested.

15. tliving

tliving Member

I bought a second UMC in my early days of ownership in 2014. I keep it in my car at all times and the other one in my house for charging (HPWCs were 2x the price of UMCs back then). This has made road trips painless and kept down the range anxiety as I always had my cable with me. It has also helped since the UMC has been fairly unreliable. Tesla has replaced 3 for me already but fortunately I always have a spare.